Forum: Ask a Studio Owner

How close is too close to a competitor? (Need Help)
By ChasingDreams
On Sun Jan 20, 2019 09:31 PM

I am opening my own studio within the next few years and I'm still figuring out the location. Unfortunately, the area I live in is very saturated with dance studios. Not just within a few miles but many. All surrounding towns have multiple dance studios. At this point, I'd have to move an hour or more away to find a town with less competitors and those far away towns are not necessarily the best options anyway. My questions are, how close to an existing studio is too close to build mine? Also, will I get any business being a little bit close to an already established dance studio? Any advice helps. Thanks.

1 Replies to How close is too close to a competitor? (Need Help)

re: How close is too close to a competitor? (Need Help)
By jms9t2
On Tue Jan 22, 2019 09:48 PM
I think it really depends on a lot of factors and your specific community. There is another dance studio right down the street from mine but we rarely compete for students. One thing to look at might be whether you will offer something that the nearby studio(s) don't. Something that might draw customers to you or make you stand out. Like if the other studios are more competition-oriented, maybe you are more welcoming to the recreational students. Or maybe you offer a style of dance that the others don't.
My guess is that you would get some customers who are curious about the new dance studio. And then you have to provide an experience that makes them want to stay with you.
Just my two cents. Good luck!

ReplySendWatch