Forum: Advice / Health & Nutrition

I Recently Had Hip Replacement Surgery
By maureensiobhan
On Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:38 AM
Edited by maureensiobhan (80481) on 2019-02-04 13:59:02 fixed misspellings

On January 29, I had a full right hip replacement surgery. I've been limping on my right hip for a year now. It's been since within the past eight or nine months that I've been loudly yelping in pain. It's been for that same length of time that I've had to literally take my right leg in my hands and move it manually to where I need to place it to stand. At my part-time job, my boss told me that she's been able to hear me yelping when she's been down the hallway.

When the surgeon completed my hip replacement surgery, he said it was a wonder I was still walking on my right hip. At the head of the right femur and in the acetabulum (hip socket), there was absolutely no cartilage. There was just bone grinding on bone.. My surgeon is one of the few orthopedic surgeons who does the operation from the anterior approach, rather than from the lateral or posterior approach.

I just got done with my session with the physical therapist. I must say, it hurt a lot when he had me do the exercises with the leg moving laterally. I felt an extreme pull on the gricelus muscle, to the point where I got into tears. The therapist said, though, that there is improvement in everything else.

I suppose I can feel proud of myself that I can do tasks around the house except cleaning. I can feed, bathe and dress myself. I can even put on my compression stockings myself. The occupational therapist said, "You don't need OT. What you are able to do is perfect.".

The oxycodone painkiller the doctor prescribed puts me sound asleep. I hate feeling this way, but if it's going to make the therapy sessions easier, then I guess I'll just have to grin and bear it.

4 Replies to I Recently Had Hip Replacement Surgery

re: I Recently Had Hip Replacement Surgery
By maureensiobhan
On Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:04 PM
Today, at my physical therapy session, the therapist had me begin walking with a cane. Up to now, I've been using a walker. He said that after one more visit, I may be able to discontinue the physical therapy.

I'm very excited about my progress, especially since it's been only a week and a half since the surgery.
By maureensiobhan
On Thu Feb 21, 2019 08:02 PM
I'm starting to walk without my cane now. When I've been sitting for some time, my hip still gets stiff. After about three steps, though, that stiffness begins to loosen up.

Someone please reply.
By ChristinePremium member
On Tue Mar 12, 2019 08:43 PM
You poor thing.... I just saw this or I would have replied sooner...sorry.

You certainly have made remarkable progress which is wonderful. I hope you continue to heal and physical therapy continues to work well.

Hugs

xoxo

Keep On Dancing*
By maureensiobhan
On Tue Mar 19, 2019 08:56 PM
The physical therapist said that my hip is about 80% functional now. I think that what has certainly helped is that I've done my physical therapy exercises at home, too, as well as at the physical therapy gym. I have my next follow-up appointment with the orthopedic surgeon on the 27th.

ReplySendWatch