Forum: Advice / Health & Nutrition

I just Had My Left Hip Replaced
By maureensiobhan
On Fri Nov 29, 2019 08:45 PM

On November 24, I had my left hip replaced. My left hip had been hurting almost as badly as the right hip . I thought, "I'm going to go see the orthopedic surgeon, and find out if my left hip may need replaced by now. He gave me a cortisone injection, which helped for a while. I needed to see him in October for a follow-up. He did an X-Ray of my hips and pelvis. My left hip looked worse than my right hip did before I had the right hip replaced. Even my untrained eye could see that in left hip, there was bone rubbing on bone. It's very frustrating not being able to do anything right now. I'll just have to be patient, though, and continue to do the physical therapy exercises I did the last time.

My cousin calls me the Bionic Woman, since now, I have two metal hips plus the titanium metal plate in my left wrist. (P).

3 Replies to I just Had My Left Hip Replaced

re: I just Had My Left Hip Replaced
By maureensiobhan
On Mon Dec 02, 2019 08:55 AM
I just saw the home occupational therapist. I showed her what i can do. Since I've had two falls since I came home from the hospital, she advised me to have an occupational therapist come out to work with me on the simple things, just for safety's sake. It's very frustrating to me, but I'll just have to put aside the matter of pride of being able to do these things for myself.

I'm guessing that the orthopedic surgeon must have had to do more extensive work on the left hip. I noticed that the incision on the hip was much longer than on the right hip. When I saw the results of the X-Ray he did of my left hip, the left hip looked much worse than the right hip did. He gave me the option of another cortisone shot or getting the hip replaced. I said to him, "Let's definitely replace that hip.". I've continued to do the physical therapy exercises I did the last time when I had my right hip replaced. I've thought, "I don't see why not. It'll help to further strengthen the right hip, and will help prepare the left hip for what's to come.".

All in all, though, I've still been able to at least somewhat able to do some things for myself.

Someone please reply.
By kinsidhe
On Wed Dec 04, 2019 01:10 PM
Just wanted to say I was listening. I don't have any experience dealing with this kind of surgery but I can imagine it is overwhelming. Keep up with the PT, give your permission to rest if you need it and let people who can, help you. I am a fiercely independent person myself, so I can imagine it is hard to let go and let someone help, but if you need it, you do and there is nothing shameful in that. Your body has gone through a lot and will need time to recover. I do hope things will take a turn for the better sooner rather than later and I hope the surgery will ease the pain in the long term. The Bionic Woman was a pretty determined lady even without the bionics, I bet you are too!

K. :)
By maureensiobhan
On Wed Dec 04, 2019 07:22 PM
The PT and OT both said that we're right where we should be by this point. I've noticed that although the left leg is still swollen, some of the swelling has already begun to reduce. There is still enough swelling, though, that my left leg will start to ache. The home nurse said, "You have to think, you've had two major hip surgeries in the space of a year.".

I have to say, the PT and OT therapy exercises I have to do are certainly good bum strengtheners. I've noticed that I've been given more intense home exercises this time.

I saw a question on line once that asked, "Is hip replacement major surgery?". Can you believe that question? I thought, "Well, of course it's major surgery. It's not exactly a simple appendectomy or tonsillectomy.".

ReplySendWatch