Forum: General

Teaching Student with Cochlear Implants
By danzfanatik
On Sun Jan 19, 2020 05:09 PM

Hello! I have a new student in one of my classes who came for the first time last week. She has 2 cochlear implants. Her mother signs to her but told me that she should be able to hear me fine during class. She did great that first class and caught on to everything really quickly. Does anyone have any experience with cochlear implants? I want to make sure that she has a positive experience in my class. If there's anything in particular I should be doing, or not doing, than I'd like to know. I plan to ask her mom and her this week but thought I'd throw the question out to you as well.
re: Teaching Student with Cochlear Implants
By calamityhjane
On Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:33 AM
Hi Danzfanatik!

I'm so pleased to see your post. Dance should be inclusive so I am happy to read that you want your student to have the best experience possible.

As someone who is hard of hearing, I often have to advocate for myself and be vocal about my needs, however as an adult I have no issues doing so. This could be entirely different for a child. In your position, I would make myself available to her, make it known you are approachable and that she is safe to tell you what she needs.

It might be that she needs the bass turned up on the speakers to feel the beat and match it to the choreography, or maybe it's an extra 1:1 lesson with you - she will tell you what she needs.

As a young dancer, it was helpful to me to have the music to take home with me so I could practice the routine at the volume I needed to familiarize myself with the beat and rhythm. Visual cues were also very helpful, so be sure you are placed where she can lipread when you are speaking and do a visual check-in while she is dancing to ensure her timing and steps are correct.

Thank you for being such a great teacher and demonstrating inclusion to your other students! I wish you both all the best.

ReplySendWatch