Forum: Advice / Health & Nutrition

Is The Corona Virus Getting Too Much Media Attention?
By maureensiobhan
On Sun Mar 15, 2020 06:00 PM
Edited by maureensiobhan (80481) on 2020-03-15 18:07:02 fixed misspelling on Patraeus's name

I understand that the corona virus is of course very serious. I'm not downplaying the seriousness of the virus. I'm saying only that more attention has been given to this than was given to the ebola, MRSA, and Strep A that had started to affect the U.S. As on the ebola, I know that there were many, many cases in west Africa. If you remember, there cases of ebola here in the U.S. Even medical professionals and other health care workers are telling the public, "Don't panic. Don't go to the doctor if all you have is just sniffles. Just take the usual precautions you would to prevent the cold or flu.". Doctors and other hospital staff workers are saying that already the hospital ERs and ICUs are getting overwhelmed with patients who think they have the corona virus. More people are sick with seasonal influenza, and many more people have died from the flu than from the corona. The people who really need to be tested for the corona virus are the elderly, people who have respiratory ailments, or people whose immune system is compromised. It's getting ridiculous to see the number of countries that have put the entire country on a lock-down. This is affecting not only the general public, but also all of the employees. All of this media attention has been fear mongering. Pretty soon, people's symptoms are going to be just psychosomatic. It's ridiculous, too, to see the number of people who have rushed out to the store and have bought out supplies of toilet paper. It reminds me of the fear mongering that Tom Ridge and David Patreaus pulled when they were warning the public to go buy gas masks and duct tape.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that this is going to be a huge political issue as we go through the presidential campaign. I bet the democrats are going to pounce on this to try again to discredit Trump, since they failed miserably at the impeachment.
re: Is The Corona Virus Getting Too Much Media Attention?
By maureensiobhan
On Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:23 PM
Someone please reply. I'd really like to hear your opinion.
By maureensiobhan
On Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:55 AM
I'd really like to know, have any of you survived the toilet paper apocalypse? Fortunately, all of us here at home have managed to survive it.
By CinderEmma
On Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:09 PM
I don't know about the toilet paper apoclalypse nor can I justify or deny the accuracy of the media's portrayal of the coronavirus pandemic, but I seem to get the feeling that it is almost a supply and demand concept on the public's desire for information. We all want to hear about "how many of us are infected today? How bad is it going to get? Blah, blah, blah" We are all hungry for information and the media knows this. It's how the media does it's business, just like in the markets.

So they all scramble to feed our hunger for details...all fighting to be the first to deliver information to us that will shock us. Remember, news that doesn't shock us or scare us, we kind of don't really care about, right? The media knows that the more they feed us, the more we will want to know (or the more some of us will panic and will turn to media stations in hope for light at the end of the tunnel. So they tell us stuff and then the public will go "oh no! It's really bad now! Media! Tell us more!" Do you see the never-ending-cycle?

Does anybody else feel this way?
By maureensiobhan
On Tue Mar 24, 2020 01:57 PM
It's been shouted out everywhere on the news, " Hurry out and get yourselves well-supplied with lots of toilet paper!". as if it were the coming of the apocalypse if we ran out of toilet paper. Last Friday, I went to the grocery store to buy some groceries. I was shocked, to say the least, when I saw almost of the the store shelves almost empty. I was lucky enough to be able to get paper towels and some hamburger buns. I managed, too, to get at least one of last four-roll pack of toilet paper. The paper and bread aisles were almost completely empty. I also happened to see a woman wearing a face mask walking out of the door.
By maureensiobhan
On Mon Mar 30, 2020 08:28 PM
There have begun to be TV commercials urging the public to help the small businesses who are being hurt through the pandemic. It's been very sad to see these commercials. Please do what you can to help the small businesses.
By ChristinePremium member
On Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:21 AM
www.aft.org . . .

Too much, or too little too late? Hundreds of thousands of people are going to die in the US alone...and the death toll in other places is just heartbreaking already..... Closing 37 of 47 field offices that monitored these global health concerns was arrogant, ignorant, and deadly.

I am sick over all of this....

My sister died on the 25th and we couldn't have a public funeral. We were limited to 10 people...and now, NO funerals are allowed. A man who worked with her son's father in law was the first in our state to die...he couldn't attend, neither could my mom or my brother.

The continual lies and corruption is beyond the pale.

May God have mercy on the souls of the sick, the departed, and especially all those who enabled this criminal.

I pray the good guys win this one....they are long overdue.

I usually write, "Keep On Dancing" but now....all I can say is,

Don't dance.
By maureensiobhan
On Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:41 AM
Christine, I wish I could be with you to give you the biggest bear hug imaginable. Of course, I cannot do this over the internet. I can only say I'm sorry for your loss and hope it is enough. I too hope and pray that this will be over soon.

I have heard on Fox News that people in Italy are already storming the grocery stores in the hopes of getting food. This is much more worrisome than I had at first thought. I don't know what the rest of you think, but I have begun to wonder if all of this might start turning into a real life "Les Miserables". As I said in another post, please do what you can to help the small businesses who are being hit hard in your area.

My mom said once that these pandemics and natural disasters could be Nature's way of trying to keep the human population in check. Do any of you agree?
On Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:56 AM
Edited by Christine (207347) on 2020-04-07 01:02:12 added Washington Post Link...for whatever it's worth
Edited by Christine (207347) on 2020-04-07 01:08:05 and another...again...not that it matters Commitment to ignorance!
Thank you for your words of sympathy. I know they are sincere.

As to the rest of it.... I give up....
www.axios.com . . .

.www.washingtonpost.com . . .

He said he could murder someone on 5th Avenue and his supporters would still love him....

another lie.... he said someONE....today he got ONE THOUSAND in NYC

and his fans still love him

Go figure...

Please don't dance....
On Tue Apr 07, 2020 09:20 AM
FYI...
www.queerty.com . . .

and one last word, in reference to the first post on this page...

The REASON there was less coverage for the other virus outbreaks you mentioned, is that both President Bush and President Obama DID THEIR JOBS and contained them, to protect us and defend us, according to their oath of office.

They DID NOT install amateur family members to pillage and destroy our nation, which is what is going on now. Google it.
On Wed May 20, 2020 01:42 PM
It hasn't even been two months since this thread started, but since it is estimated that we will enter a new place value on the death count, in just a few days at the current rate of increase, I thought I should post now, just incase I am among the count, like two other members of my family, in the days, or weeks to come.

Globally, there have been 4,930,882 cases with 324,691 deaths...all in a relatively short amount of time. Although we have just 4% of the world population, the United States is #1 in COVID-19 deaths. As of today, 93,085 souls, and rising, while those who seem to be unaffected are insisting we should, "return to normal", without tests, treatments, or a vaccine, and choose instead to believe the medical impossibility of a vaccine being available, "for everyone who wants one", right after the November presidential election. (...kind of like the promise that DJT was going to release his tax returns on November 28, 2016...remember that whopper?....check out how many times he's been to court to prevent having to keep that promise..., but I digress...) Their protest signs do not say, "We need masks", or, "You promised tests for everyone who wanted one", but rather, "I want a haircut!" Although the CDC has outlined sound medical guidelines when this should happen safely, not one single state has met those numbers, yet a "soft opening" is underway. Dallas County has had it's highest death count today, over 200, which has been a daily number lately, yet...and the Governor of Texas is "comfortable" with this because the hospitals are "handling it". In other words, the virus is NOT under control, but there is room for y'all in the ICU or the morgue.

A second wave of this plague is all but guaranteed perhaps a quickly as 6 weeks from now, but almost certainly in the Fall, when people are inside more, and schools open. Should we take comfort in the fact that we can actually eat in a restaurant, instead of having to resort to take out, curbside "Carry Away", food? No one is going without food, but I suppose having to wash our own dishes is too much hardship in light of a pandemic.

The good news, pollution is down 17%, due mostly to the reduction of carbon being pumped into the air, but here in the U. S., 50 years of environmental protection legislation have been rescinded by executive order (not legislative action, as per the U. S. Constitution) Additionally, to our great embarrassment, the U. S. ...also by executive order...is the ONLY nation to resign from the Paris accord, which was the first global environmental protection treaty. Typical of this POV...the U. S. is also the ONLY nation who refused to work cooperatively on controlling COVID-19, and then pulled funding for the World Health Organization. Rather than learn the lessons of reducing carbon emissions, or the necessity of working co-operatively with all the citizens of Planet Earth, the politics get uglier and more self serving for the powers that be. ... And we continue to die

I am as powerless as anyone. The medical professionals, the scientists, can't seem to convince those committed to their own ignorance, the lies and finger pointing and name calling, so I have no hope that I can do anything to change any of this. For the first time in my long life, I am embarrassed to be an American. To the rest of the world...please accept my sincerest apologies....the majority of the voters in our country did NOT vote for the despot in charge.

We are heartbroken.

(Don't dance...)

ReplySendWatch