Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Adult Dancers

Pointe shoe help please!
By moonmaid
On Tue Sep 15, 2020 02:29 PM

Hi,

I was approved to go en pointe about a month ago! Super exciting, however, I live in a very small town. Technically it's considered a village. As such, we don't have any sort of shop that specializes in balletwear, nothing that sells pointe shoes, or even soft shoes, where you can be fitted by professional fitters. The nearest store that has pointe shoes is actually Wal-Mart. They stock a single style of Capezio.

On the recommendation of my teacher, I went about three hours outside of my town and made an appointment at a dance store. They're super tiny and local, but they have a professional pointe fitter! However. When I got there, I was informed that the fitter had a personal emergency attend to, and an apprentice would be fitting me. That made me kinda nervous, and I would really really really appreciate any feedback, opinions, constructive criticism, anything.

They sent me home with two pairs of totally different shoes. The apprentice sewed the elastic and ribbons, and gave me a set of gel ouch pouches, a set of gel big toe caps, lambs wool, and toe spacers. She said that I should experiment with what padding works for me, but she did not give any sort of guidance on why I needed two different pairs of shoes or what to do with them. Do I alternate between the pairs, are both pairs equally correct for my feet? Are you normally sent home with two pairs at your very first pointe fitting? I've contacted my teacher, but things are so wonky now due to covid, we're transitioning from virtual classes back to in the studio, and she just hasn't gotten back to me yet other than saying to send her photos of me wearing them.

Should my teacher have waited to approve me for pointe? These two separate pairs of shoes are really throwing me off and making me doubt my abilities.

Any help at all is much appreciated, and I can answer any questions or upload more photos.

Thank you!

ReplySendWatch