Forum: Advice / Ask a Judge

Solo
By dancingqueen174
On Tue Feb 23, 2021 06:04 AM

Hello There! I have competed in 2 competitions this year with my studio. I had a MT solo last year and this year I had my first lyrical solo wich was my first ever lyrical dance. On the first competition I scored 4th in the overall and my 2 friends scored 3rd and 2nd. I took in all the judges critiques and fixed everything that needed to be fixed. On the next competition I scored 3rd overall and 2nd in my categories. Still behind the other 2 girls. I went home with a medal and they went home with giant trophies and one went home with a title. Can a judge help me and tell me how I should become stronger or better at my solo, or just help me understand? Thanks!

2 Replies to Solo

re: Solo
By thedancer_gigi
On Thu Feb 25, 2021 07:57 AM
Hi!!!! Umm, iI know you asked for a judge, but I think I have some advice that I can give you, because you sound just like me!!!
First, stop comparing yourself to those other girls. You're a great you, and as long as you do YOUR best, that's what makes you great. You went home with a medal, some people went home with nothing. Also make sure that your focus is not beating them, or getting a higher score than them. Your focus is on your solo, and do your very best to make yourself proud. Stop beating yourself up about not being the competition's number one dancer, but you are your number one dancer! :) Plus, this was your very FIRST lyrical solo!!! So for you to even score in the overall and in 4th and 3rd place, GIRLLLL YOU'RE SOOO GOOOD!!!! I could never, ma and lyrical dance...we just dont work together :)
Second, There will be other competitions! It's not the end of the world girlie!!! You're going to get better and better the more competitions you go to, and the more routines you perform. Remeber focus on YOU and YOUR solo!!!
Third, when you're in practice, practice like you're on stage. All the emotion, all the things you need to put on a great performance. If it helps, put on your costume! And imagine you're on stage.
Lastly, keep taking the judge's critics to heart! Don't take it personally, but make sure you're using those critics to your advantange!

If you ever need anyhting, or if you would like to talk about this in more detail, PM me girl! I would love to help you out. Good Luck

"This is for the brown little girls"
~Gigi :)
re: Solo
By dancingqueen174
On Sun Feb 28, 2021 09:20 PM
thanks so much

ReplySendWatch