Forum: Folk / Ukrainian Dancing

Ukrainian Dancing
Ukrainian Dance Moves! (karma: 3)
By tinkerbell13member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 689, member since Fri Nov 22, 2002
On Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:50 AM
Made sticky by AussieAsherina (19072) on 2003-08-22 20:02:10 Useful information- member request

Here are a few Ukrainian dance moves that are in this booklet Shumka gave to us. This is only a few Ukie dance moves, there are BILLIONS more!!!

Beduinski - A cartwheel with no hands. Rather than straight up and down, it is performed on a vertical position.

Chosonka - The legs are thrown forward, one after the other. The left leg goes up for example and the right follows quickly after, then land.

Dribonky - Any possible stamping combination.

Flac - A backward flip.

Haiduk Kruch - Haiduk meaning squat, and kruch meaning twist; a twisting squat.

Holubchyk - A parter turn, the dancers face sideways and spin together.

Husachok - Meaning 'goose step', parallel 1st position, grand plie, shuffle steps. This is a guys' move.

Kabluchky - Alternate placeing of the heels on the floor to the side. Performed with a slight jump to demi plie on the heel placement.

Kiltse - A jump performed by arching the back and kicking both legs out at the same time backwards to reach the head.

Koleso - A cartwheel performed with one or two hands.

Koza - About a 45 degree angle tumble in the air. The legs are held at a bent 2nd position.

Kruzhaltse - A plie followed by a complete turn.

Mistochok - Grand plie in first position parallel, the legs get thrown back, and then back to first parallel.

Nozhytsi - Scissor like jumps.

Obertas - A single turn performed by carrying the working leg in a 1/4 turn section grand rond de jambe and back down into fifth position on a rise.

Orel' - A jump performed by bring both legs up and forward, feet together, legs open.

Perekidni - A cartwheel with no hands, where the torso is horizontal and the legs are more vertical.

Pidsichka - The dancer, usually male, squats down with arms supporting them and one leg underneath body, the other leg out. The working leg draws a 360 degree circle around themselves for one revolution.

Pidzhati - A tuck jump where the legs go forward or backward in a tucked position.

Pinty - Small jumps in 2nd or 2nd parallel, straight legged, under the dancer's body.

Pletennia - Skipping backwards or frontwards though a retire position.

Fish Flops - The dancer goes into a crab-like position on the floor. On the first beat the dancer kicks out both leg and comes down. On the half beat, the dancer claps both hands and puts them back down. Done very quickly.

Pletinka - A hopping grapevine step.

Pokhid Skladnyi - A three beat stationary or travelling step.

Povzunets' - In a squatting position, the legs are thrown out alternately directly in front of the dancer.

Rak - Alternately throwing out the right leg to hit the left hand, or left leg/right hand.

Roznizhka - A split jump. The dancer does the splits in the air while the torso leans forward and the hands touch both feet.

Shchupak - The legs are thrown simultaneously forward and the torso leans forward so the hands touch the feet.

Shvydky - Small runs on the spot where the legs are drawn upwards.

Tourchyk - Single or continuous vertical, single airborn revolutions landing only briefly in 1st position between turns.

Tynok - Alike a balance in ballet, a tynok is performed where one leg comes out and the other goes in front, ball heel change. The difference between this and a balance is where the second foot is placed: to the front or behind.

Vereteno - A turn starting in parallel first position. The dancer starts on count one by stepping onto the supporting leg with the working leg in parallel retire, and turning picking up the legs three more times. Then the turn starts itself over again on count 5.

Vikhiliasnyk - The simplest of steps. The leg is placed out beside the dancer, straight and toe pointed, slightly turned in. Then the heel of the same foot is placed down, turned out. Cycle repeats on the opposite side. Commonly reffered to as 'toe-heel'.

Vypad - Tombe onto the working leg in fourth position, kick out the working leg, and a single cycle of pokhid skladnyi follows.

24 Replies to Ukrainian Dance Moves!

re: Ukrainian Dance Moves!
By RamTamTam Comments: 849, member since Sat Nov 02, 2002
On Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:17 PM
That's awesome! I didn't know the proper Ukrainian words for a bunch of those! I always use expressions like "the kicky things" lol...thanks a lot!
cheers,
Tamara
By mr_weird_guy Comments: 2655, member since Sat Oct 12, 2002
On Mon Aug 18, 2003 04:17 PM
WOW. You know, you've answered one of the questions that has been bugging me for years. No one would tell me what "spider kicks" (as I call them) were in Ukrainian!! 1+ for you for giving me this. this is one of my new bibles, cause I never really knew what half of this stuff was called.

later dayz
J
By tinkerbell13member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 689, member since Fri Nov 22, 2002
On Tue Aug 19, 2003 04:16 AM
Awesome! Good to know it's useful, it sure has been to me. There were MANY more dance moves on there, some that I didn't understand, or some were just different ways of travelling. My poor hands are tired from typing and rephrasing confusing moves.
By mr_weird_guy Comments: 2655, member since Sat Oct 12, 2002
On Tue Aug 19, 2003 04:46 PM
I hear ya, some "information blooklets" can leave your head spinning!!! All that that booklet needs now is a phonetic pronunciation of the words. I"m sitting here trying to get my toungue around some of them, but I am far too anglosized!!! lol

later dayz
J
On Sat Aug 23, 2003 12:18 AM
Sticky...?
By Uki_Dancer05member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 348, member since Sun Aug 24, 2003
On Sun Aug 24, 2003 07:34 PM
If anybody needs help with pronunciation, I'm a fluent speaker and I have no problem helping out with words. It's great...till now I didn't know the names for most of those steps either. Even my teacher used made up names!
By letsdance03 Comments: 27, member since Fri Sep 12, 2003
On Fri Sep 12, 2003 09:42 AM
i've never heard about ukrainian dance before :) me myself is dancin linedance
omg
By starletactor Comments: 15, member since Sat Sep 13, 2003
On Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:54 PM
i have known those my entire life
re: Ukrainian Dance Moves
By Thenych Comments: 146, member since Mon Sep 15, 2003
On Mon Sep 22, 2003 02:58 PM
wow, that's a lot of stuff to remember....
By Tangerine895 Comments: 1233, member since Mon Oct 13, 2003
On Tue Nov 04, 2003 05:42 PM
wow thats a lot of stuff!!! thanks! :D
By CheremoshWannaBe Comments: 25, member since Wed Dec 31, 2003
On Wed Dec 31, 2003 06:58 PM
those are a lot of interesting steps. especially neat to look at since our group does some things in different ways. GREAT!
By Dancerinthewings Comments: 20, member since Fri Nov 22, 2002
On Fri Jan 02, 2004 07:19 PM
hey cool, i've never heard of most of those, i'd rate you up but i can't yet!
By holypan Comments: 96, member since Mon May 16, 2005
On Tue Jun 05, 2007 09:53 AM
How times have changed. Back in the day we used different names for about half of these, and surely some of these aren't official. Like "fish flops" We called those double powerkicks. (If we are refering to the same step) But all in all, a good job. There should be some sort of standard set between all the dance groups as to the naming of steps.
By jp_tantsiurystmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 310, member since Tue Sep 20, 2005
On Sat Jun 09, 2007 04:35 AM
Is it just me, or are a lot of these descriptions incomprehensible. I know if i saw a video clip, i'd probably recognize all of them, but i just can't make sense out of the way they're explained.
By veselkadancer Comments: 136, member since Wed Jul 05, 2006
On Fri Jun 15, 2007 07:59 PM
Some of the explanations actually threw me off. I know what the steps are but the way they were explained they almost sounded like new, complicated steps. Even toe heel sounded so much more complicated!
By josephine_7 Comments: 124, member since Wed Dec 15, 2004
On Wed Jul 04, 2007 06:48 AM
what lovely costumes
By TheGreatPotato Comments: 859, member since Mon Mar 29, 2004
On Wed Aug 08, 2007 09:31 AM
I just realized that the picture is in front of the Taras Shevchenko monument in Lviv. Really, really nice town square area. When we were there the police were monitoring it though, as Independence Day had been cancelled due to the Russian plane crash in eastern Ukraine. It sucked, because our show was cancelled in the town square, and the government forced no one to publicly celebrate Ukrainian Independence after pressure from Russia.

But inside our hotel, dozens of locals got together and had a big party. It was really something else, with singing, dancing, etc. The mayor of the city was angry too with the President over the cancellation of celebrations. Our tour guide was really upset as well, as were the general populace, and you could tell.
By slovo Comments: 125, member since Tue Apr 20, 2004
On Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:15 PM
In Kyiv things were cancelled on the day but the day after they had celebrations, but Virsky went to that area to do a performance for them which sucked because I wanted to see my friend dance and I still haven't seen her dance... BOOURNS! yeah all the steps are old news for me except fish flops... how would one spell that in ukrainian? If anyone wants a reall challenge pick up Kim Vasylenko's lexicon and read through all 1000+ steps. It's basically variations on 16 steps, some say there are only 9 different ukrainian dance steps and the rest are variations... I don't get it.

oh and I think the kids in that picture are from sonechko a children's group in lviv. They go up to the ages of 16 then after that who knows where. They performed in the concert marking the 100th birthday of Virsky in 2005, not a very exciting group. Not like the kids in the Virsky school.... WOW!
By JeanneO Comments: 1, member since Fri Nov 02, 2007
On Fri Nov 02, 2007 07:55 PM
Slovo
You made reference to "Kim Vasylenko's lexicon." Is this something you found to be very useful and easy to understand the step descriptions? If so, do you know where it can be obtained?

Thanks, Jeanne
By slovo Comments: 125, member since Tue Apr 20, 2004
On Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:16 AM
ahhhh the lexicon. Ummmm if you can read ukrainian that helps as it is in ukrainian. Some of the words they use are ones you really don't use in reading and writing and conversational ukrainian in north america. But the problem is understanding the style of writing. In order to understand it you have to read it over and over again. I have many books with choreography and it's a little bit easier for me to read because I've seen it before.

The description in each step is very detailed. To do a simple step it could take up a quarter of a page for a simple step. If you don't have patience then don't come near these books!

Where can you find them. Ummm not. I got mine from Yevshan about 6-7 years ago. It was cheap then, but now... If you can find it in north america it's like 3 times the price. Or you can go to ukraine. But the bookstore where I bought it from doesn't have anymore. Good thing I bought all of them. They were in limited print as with any older ukrainan dance book.
By Bailarina29 Comments: 41, member since Mon Sep 13, 2004
On Sat Jan 03, 2009 03:59 PM
Thank you so much for this wealth of information!!! Recently losing my Ukranian Babushka...it was great to see, say and sound familiar lovely language. Thanks again!!! :) I haven't found any Unkranian dance in Altlanta yet...but will definately keep looking!
By Halya Comments: 6, member since Mon Jul 26, 2010
On Thu Jul 29, 2010 01:22 AM
Hellow! My name is Halya!I am Ukrainian. I live in town Lviv - it is the western part of Ukraine. Lviv is one of the most ukrainian cultural city of Europe. Many foreign dance ensembles visit our town to show their dance skills.
As for me, i have some relations with dance ensembles, because of working on the firm, which produces beautiful ukrainian national costumes. These costumes are used by many foreign dance ensembles, for example: Shumka, Voloshky, Viterets, Vohon, Jalynka and many others.
Maybe somebody is interested in this theme. Then i will be glad to talk about it. You are wellcome!
By houndrfriendPremium member Comments: 636, member since Mon Aug 16, 2004
On Mon Aug 02, 2010 04:29 AM
A nice picture.When did Ukrainia becme a country? Where did they come fromm .Maybe I will google it out of curiosity tomorrow.I only looked at this section out of curiosity when I saw the folkdancing section.
By ukiecam Comments: 136, member since Sun Mar 11, 2012
On Tue Apr 10, 2012 07:40 PM
Haha I agree, I had no idea what most of these were! My group uses terms like 1-2-3 (EVERYONE uses 1-2-3!), Toe-heel, knee, kick, stamp-kick, 1-2 out, and up-up-run-run-run-run.If you are explainiang a combonation, it's usually something like toe-heel-in-out-click-stamp-stamp, but the funny thing is that everyone knows what you're talking about!

~Cam

ReplySendWatch