Forum: Folk / African Dance

Page:
Page 2 of 5: 1 2 3 4 5
I am too!
By randicee
On Fri Apr 09, 2004 04:27 PM
I am black from PA. I live in the Pocono and we don't have african dance classes here. what do you think about that. Another question what is the difference between jazz/funk and modern dance. Some people have told me that modern is to wild, what is your view on that
re: who is black here
By SEANBOOGIE
On Tue Apr 13, 2004 09:14 PM
I'M BLACK

SEANBOOGIE

OWNER OF masterchoreographers.com

I'M ALSO LOOKING FOR CHOREOGRAPHERS

Email me with your back ground
re: who here is black
By tirpfy
On Wed Apr 14, 2004 07:36 PM
HEY I'M BLACK BUT I GUESS BY NOW YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY BLACK PERSON ON DANCE.NET. I CURRENTLY LIVE IN JAMAICA.
Who is black here
By uja13
On Wed Apr 21, 2004 02:43 PM
You are no longer alone.
By jodiizbak
On Tue May 04, 2004 03:37 PM
im black reppin brooklyn, new york stand up im want to become a professional modern dancer someday
i\'m black and lovin\' it!!!
By caledwards
On Wed May 26, 2004 12:13 PM
it DOES dearly matter to those of us who have a sense of love and pride about who we are; where we're going and where we've been. Let's not forget too quickly that a whole lot of folks died in the fight for basic civil rights for blacks in this country!
That ultimate price MAKES it matter. Frankly, it sickens me when I hear black people negate this precious heritage. every time they say "color doesn't matter anymore...that was all in the past"
By blackdancer99
On Fri May 28, 2004 05:56 PM
so what dance school do you go to?
By mendance2
On Sun May 30, 2004 11:00 AM
I'm black from Columbus, Ohio. And for those who says it doesn't matter, you haven't step outside into the dance world or better yet the real world, cause when they see color they don't expect much. That is why I thank GOD for companies like Dance Theatre of Harlem, and Alvin Ailey, Philadanco, african American Dance Ensemble (Chuck Davis), and all those other black ran dance Companies!!!
By trfrancis
On Tue Jun 01, 2004 02:08 PM
I am black and I own a studio in Long Island. Are there any other black studio owners on this board? I would love to talk to you about some of the challenges that are faced by those of us who are black studio owners.
not alone girl!!
By dancewitme2
On Thu Jun 03, 2004 07:38 AM
yet another proud sista from providence, RI!!!! i also agree with most of you...it does matter. we should represent and have pride in who we are....i love my brown skin.....
peace
By twinkle_toes94
On Sat Jun 12, 2004 07:39 PM
i wouldn't exactly say i'm black but i do have brown skin. actually i'm so light some people think i'm mixed! LOL ;). but yes i'm african american. but if u saw me you wouldn't believe me! but seriously... it does matter what skin color u are. just because you're black/brown doesn't mean u can't dance like a caucasian person. like they say, you can judge a book by its cover...
By flapshufflehop
On Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:37 PM
Can someone explain to me how backs are trained differently than whites? Do you mean that companies have different ideas of what kind of dance a person should do or be good at because of their color? I am not trying to be sarcastic, I would really like to know. And I would aslo liek to know what you think about a white person who is interested in African dance...I am teaching modern next year and I would like to incorporate some basic moves into the performance so give it more character.
By divana300
On Fri Jul 09, 2004 01:45 PM
Black chica right here! I'm actually born in Africa and of course love African dance, but I also salsa and merengue.
By divana300
On Fri Jul 09, 2004 01:46 PM
... but I've been living in America for for 13 years. (lived in africa for 4 years). Sorry, just thought you all would like to know that.
By blackdancer99
On Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:16 PM
has anyone heard of devore dance center in queens nyc
By DancerChick33
On Wed Jul 21, 2004 06:51 PM
I'm Black ,originally from Brooklyn but now I live in Florida.
black
By meagan3
On Thu Jul 22, 2004 09:33 AM
i'm not black i'm half puerto rican and from the carrabien 2 but i do african dances
Proud Black Sista
By mzHipHopdlight
On Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:23 PM
I am a proud Black woman and I COMPLETELY understand where you are coming from. I went to a small white college in Michigan and was one of the only 5 colored students in the whole dance department and we took refuge in each other because it seemed as though people didn't understand us. There are different techniques and different ways of teaching in the Black community than in the White. I know that most of my instructors didn't use a lot of proper dance terms, but once I got to school it was something totally different. I hope that explains at least a little of the difference.
By Dance2ueen
On Sun Aug 08, 2004 03:32 PM
I'm Black and I'm proud, from NYC! No you are not the only black person in here :)
By technicolormember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Aug 14, 2004 09:21 PM
i'm black, but really, what does race have to do with it?
By khriper
On Tue Aug 17, 2004 02:56 PM
I'm of African descent and I reign from Cali baby! How is everyone doing?!
By Roxie_Hart
On Sun Sep 19, 2004 03:12 AM
im black too.

@iceey, where do u live in Africa? Im in Botswana!i love it here but i definetly need to expand my horizons if im gonna make it.

In Africa, espicially the more traditional areas all they know is African Dancing. if one does ballet or jazz or even sum bumpin' and grindin' u's officially an OREO!lol...its funny but serious, there are definetly some stereotypes that need to be broken. we need to work together not against each other.
By Roxie_Hart
On Sun Sep 19, 2004 03:17 AM
im black too.

@iceey, where do u live in Africa? Im in Botswana!i love it here but i definetly need to expand my horizons if im gonna make it.

In Africa, espicially the more traditional areas all they know is African Dancing. if one does ballet or jazz or even sum bumpin' and grindin' u's officially an OREO!lol...its funny but serious, there are definetly some stereotypes that need to be broken. we need to work together not against each other.
By lacey_graham69
On Wed Sep 22, 2004 09:37 AM
hey i'm white...but i know what you mean!
By cirquedancey
On Sun Sep 26, 2004 05:49 PM
is there any LATINOS up in here
Page:
Page 2 of 5: 1 2 3 4 5

ReplySendWatch