Forum: Folk / African Dance

Page:
Page 3 of 5: 1 2 3 4 5
re: who is black here
By firebird88
On Wed Sep 29, 2004 08:48 PM
Im black also- west indian to be exact. Its sad to know that black ballerinas still dont seem to get as much attention as others do. Do any of you know Aesha Ash formerly one of the NYCB dancers?
By tinkerbella06
On Thu Oct 07, 2004 08:06 PM
i am very black even though (i am high yellow very very light skinned) lol
Black?
By Nubian716
On Sat Oct 09, 2004 09:22 PM
Black is a state of mind, many people can be Black but not really Black. But what is really being Black? I consider my self a Nubian, I am of African heritage, so I guess I am Black.

Your are not alone on the site.
By ihopeudansmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:44 AM
Ok, I'm white, but I LOVE african dance...I'm the only white girl in my class, but I wouldn't have it any other way! I understand that race matters to some people, but to me it doesn't. I love my classmates, I love my teacher, and I love african dance, and that's all that matters!
By Mr_Monty
On Tue Nov 02, 2004 02:46 AM
I'm from Australia and I'm white
By Bubblyballerina6
On Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:10 AM
I'm Black too. Were have you guys been? Talk about CPT! (lol)There are actually quite a few of us that haven't posted. I have lots of GREAT friends here that aren't black. Let's all try to branch out a little here and make all types of friends. This is a dance site after all everybody it’s bout DANICNG not color. With some help I'll start a website for Black/Minority Dancers. I love DDN but I know what y’all mean. Neways, if you would like to help me PM me!

Lylas!
Lauren
Who is Black here!
By aleecita
On Tue Nov 09, 2004 01:50 AM
Hi there,
I'm Aleecita. I am a 30 year old dancer with two dancing kids and a love that will never end for the art of dance.
By b1g_d1ck3
On Fri Nov 26, 2004 02:38 PM
i am
By Passion4Dance53
On Wed Dec 01, 2004 01:49 PM
Hi there! I am new to the net, another Black dancer... would be interested in helping with a website for Black/Minority Dancers should you decide to go with it.

also, I am working with about 15 women who are interested in setting up a dance collective in our area.. If anyone has some experience, tips, words of wisdom for establishing a collective (urban area, underserved.... classes for children and adults).. Let me know...
By yoooo
On Wed Dec 01, 2004 09:58 PM
not me
By nydancer82
On Tue Dec 07, 2004 01:52 PM
I'm black and I have been a member of this site for a while now. It is just that no one goes around asking hey are you black or white. We are all on this site because we all love to dance whether we are from the same hood or of the same nationality.
You're not alone
By fdl_music_lover
On Tue Dec 07, 2004 07:07 PM
Hey what's up? I'm just wonderin', if anyone knows of a dance studio in the northwestern Louisiana area that teaches African Dance. I've been dyin' to learn especially since it's part of my heritage. private message me if you know.
By LadyofDancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Dec 15, 2004 04:18 PM
U'm African American and I live in Bklyn.
By Chrissy123
On Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:35 AM
i am white, but the best dancer in my ballet class is black. She has style and grace and technique like you can't believe!
By KIMMYJ
On Tue Dec 21, 2004 05:52 PM
I'm black, uh,.... hi :)
By yetti207
On Mon Jan 03, 2005 08:43 PM
im black too. im in atlanta georgia. ne1 else?
By selormculture
On Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:01 PM
Can someone explain to me how backs are trained differently than whites?

You see, blacks begin dancing from their childhood without even knowing! Drum Dancing is part of the typical African so it is VERY easy for an African to learn African dances because it is our way of life.

Because of the nature of African dance (i.e. its complexity) it is not very welcome by students of other cultures, rather they only want to watch and enjoy.

I have a team of over 600 African dancers and perform over 80 traditional African dances. We are in Ghana, West Africa. If you want to work with us, you are welcome.
why does race matter
By Pipringals05
On Sun Feb 13, 2005 03:28 PM
For all who believe even in this day and age that race doesnt matter, please explain to be why we have yet to see african americans in so many positions. Why are there no african american prima ballerinas. as a matter of fact in any world renowed ballet company. like the bolshoi? Black president? race does matter, more importantly so does heritage. I am very far from racist, but it is important to identify with people who are in your same culture. if you dont know yourself you are lossed and succeptable to anything.
By Carley2
On Thu Feb 17, 2005 04:23 PM
I'm black and i'm from Texas. But I guess since I wasn't really raised with too many black people, I don't really see race that much. The only time I see color is when I go to a dance class where everyone is predomintly black. I know that's weird. But I don't pay attention to color in dance class, I never think oh geez I'm the only black girl in the class.
not true
By parkerchetara
On Sat Feb 26, 2005 02:13 AM
that's not true I'm black and I'm a member. I know that I haven't been in for a while but that doesn't mean that I'm not a part of this online dance community. Why do you care about the race any old way? It should matter what race a person it as long as they can dance do you think?
By dancingirl135
On Sat Mar 26, 2005 08:33 PM
thATS mean !! Im black and i dance in a very well balanced school in missouri called alexandra ballet school and i am taught in classical ballet so that kinda is being racist
By Ladedamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Mar 30, 2005 03:23 PM
Hey hey! Latina over here too!!
By dancerspirit
On Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:01 AM
This may upset some but if we all trace back far enough and look at the way the world "split" into continents-we are all from our mother Africa! And I am not "black". My dad has german/french ancestry and my mother is from Belfast,Northern Ireland. One would label me Caucasian American. Although with my darker features and olive skin- I have been asked if I were "mixed" or greek or italian and once even egyptian. But if you remember your history class the moors invaded Ireland (they say they were from Egypt/Spain) I know I have the heritage somewhere in my blood memory-I would have never been so called to the drums had I not. Yours in the dance-Dancerspirit
hello
By untitled
On Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:57 AM
I am from buffalo n.y. iam black whats up!
By poplock
On Fri Apr 22, 2005 09:26 PM
You are not alone, but I am assuming that you are broading your horizons by being on this site. I had no idea about all the dances that are out there. Especially this Highland dancing, and disco I didnt know people still did disco.
Page:
Page 3 of 5: 1 2 3 4 5

ReplySendWatch