Forum: General / Administrative

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Administrative
Calling Out Fellow Members (karma: 1)
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34923, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:04 PM
Made sticky by alleycat (25274) on 2004-01-24 19:17:07
Made unsticky by imadanseur (79325) on 2010-08-21 08:34:39

Ok, I've noticed something going on that I'm really getting irritated with.

If you believe that a member is falsifying information, giving incorrect information, or otherwise missusing their membership at dance.net, please don't take it upon yourself to call the member on it.

We have 6 moderators at this website, in addition to Linh. Calling them out is our job.

I'm sure that the people involved in this know who they are, and exactly what I'm talking about. I WANT IT TO STOP. The person that you guys have chosen to call out (in TWO seperate threads, both times by name) is a brand new member to the site. Can you imagine how miserable she must feel, wanting to talk about dance, coming to the site, and seeing that? Is that fair? Would you want it to happen to you?

Hit the "Mod" button, and report any members that you believe are violating the rules.

Rest assured, even if we don't react to your report right away, we ALL get a copy of the report, we all read it, and we all react accordingly.

Theresa

41 Replies to Calling Out Fellow Members

re: Calling Out Fellow Members
By newtoballet Comments: 3404, member since Sat Feb 16, 2002
On Sat Sep 20, 2003 01:28 AM
Excellent point(e).
By ballerinaisis Comments: 2122, member since Wed Nov 13, 2002
On Sat Sep 20, 2003 07:07 AM
Amen! I feel so bad for the new member! That must be an awful feeling! Thanks for bringing this to our attention!
By twinklepointemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4388, member since Tue Feb 19, 2002
On Sat Sep 20, 2003 07:13 AM
I agree with you !
I wouldnt have liked to be a new member
xx
By DancePrincess827member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 6352, member since Mon Mar 10, 2003
On Sat Sep 20, 2003 03:54 PM
I admit I replied to one of those and I'm sorry. I didn't know it was bad but now I see why it is. It puts that person on the spot. Thanks for posting this!
By Bethins Comments: 543, member since Thu Oct 24, 2002
On Sun Sep 21, 2003 08:47 PM
Thank you!!!
I was so angered by the brazen callousness of members here at dance net. It just seemed to me that a new girl was trying to meet people and perhaps having difficulty fighting the temptation to not be entirely honest on a board.
I'm saddened by the fact that the member I saw this happen to hasn't posted in days. It seems as though we've already lost a potentially contributory member.
Elizabeth
By glitterfairyPremium member Comments: 12135, member since Tue Oct 01, 2002
On Wed Sep 24, 2003 02:13 AM
!

I'm quite shocked that it's happening at all- then again, I only really check out this forum, the Tell Dance.net(/mods) forum and the dance forums so I might be missing it- but why is it happening?!?!?!

I know we all have a right to voice out opinions but I don't think name-calling and 'internet bullying' falls under this category. Leave the mods to their job, and you stick to yours. Rules were made for a reason- to make dance.net a better place! please respect the rules and other members, otherwise no-one will want to come here anymore!
By dance4lanimember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6238, member since Fri May 02, 2003
On Thu Sep 25, 2003 04:53 AM
hey
omg, thats terible! the poor new memebers!!
well said
lani
By cheerleader_1member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 855, member since Tue Jun 10, 2003
On Mon Oct 13, 2003 08:09 AM
awww...i feel so sorry for that girl!
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34923, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:17 PM
Another thought...

I understand that you guys that are established members on this site, and you understand how everything works, you know that everyone else understands how everything works, and you expect everything to go like clockwork.

New people don't get that.

The person that you all called out hasn't been back since all that went down, so she was sufficently intimidated.

Now, read that sentence again.

Was that what you wanted to do to her?

If you walked into a room, and all that all the people in the room were talking about was wrestling, but you didn't know the first thing about it, wouldn't you try to bluff a little, rather than admit that you didn't know the first thing about it?

Wouldn't you then get scared if everyone in the room started pointing at you and screaming "Your a liar! You don't know the first thing about wrestling, you liar!"

You'd leave the room too! I don't blame her one bit!

The specific instance is over, but this is a policy I plan to continue. Report them to the mods. DO NOT, for any reason, call out the member yourself.

Theresa
By CaptainCathymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4958, member since Wed Dec 18, 2002
On Mon Oct 13, 2003 05:13 PM
I'm not exactly sure what happened but I feel sorry that a new member has decided to leave because something was said to her. I know that when I joined dance.net I was kind of nervous because I felt like everyone knew more than me, so I made a few little white lies in the beginning. Its hard to fit in at first. So in the future, like Theresa said, let the mods do their jobs.
By Danamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7517, member since Wed Nov 28, 2001
On Mon Oct 13, 2003 07:53 PM
When I'm a newbie at a board, I don't post a new topic until I've become very familiar with how it's organized and the guidelines for posting. Some of the newbies here would do well with that rule...
By Liz11 Comments: 1036, member since Tue Aug 26, 2003
On Tue Oct 14, 2003 02:38 PM
I agree with yall. I would do two thumbs up, but I cant tdo that on the computer. :]
By DancePrincess827member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 6352, member since Mon Mar 10, 2003
On Tue Oct 14, 2003 06:28 PM
I still feel bad about all of that. I can't blame her for leaving and I wish there was a way to get her back. :(
By lilshootingstar Comments: 456, member since Sat Nov 08, 2003
On Sat Nov 15, 2003 05:22 AM
That really stinks how that's happening but I do agree with dc89. I'm a newbie and I can't say I wait until I come very familiar with a board but a few newbies should... Good post though.

Love,
Brooke
By sirona Comments: 131, member since Sun Dec 08, 2002
On Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:45 PM
The whole "trying to catch other members in a lie and get credit for reporting them" thing has always really bothered me. I can't believe people would want to do something like that. I can't believe what you're describing has happened - that really sucks.
On Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:20 AM
I want to let you guys know that I think, for the most of you, your behavior has much improved with this...

With the Oceancrusher banning, many of you were noticing the same things that the mods noticed - but you contacted the mods, rather than point it out on the boards (and yes, I said most of you did that, not all).

Good job!

Theresa
Calling Out Fellow Members
By dancindiva4lifemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1609, member since Wed Nov 07, 2001
On Wed Nov 19, 2003 03:47 PM
Thank you for posting that.. I totally agree with you.. and it's even worse when it's a new member.. your right,MlClogger I believe that there are some people on here who just need to chill and be nicer.. " If you don't have nothing nice to say, then dont say anything at all".. That's my comment on people who arent being very nice when they are posting there comments..
By IrishDancerGurl Comments: 729, member since Thu Feb 27, 2003
On Wed Nov 26, 2003 05:43 PM
i believe this stems from lilmiss...something or other and all the comments on the irish board...
By zouzounimember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1271, member since Mon Dec 09, 2002
On Sun Nov 30, 2003 04:22 AM
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! :) :) :)
By geezer4Premium member Comments: 1896, member since Wed Nov 13, 2002
On Mon Dec 01, 2003 04:12 PM
Excellent post calling out people can become slanderous and land you in trouble legal as well as with the mods.

Weldone.

Rich
By Dancerlicious Comments: 845, member since Thu Nov 06, 2003
On Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:42 AM
I agree, that is a huge problem. And no, I would never want that to happen to me. I'm really glad you posted this!!

::JeN::
By quirky Comments: 1389, member since Fri Nov 28, 2003
On Sat Dec 06, 2003 06:22 AM
That is a big problem. Imagine the poor girls/guys joining and all that comes to them are accusations, what would they think of dance.net?

I must agree with dc89. Some members just post away at any board and not really get familiar with the board, they just post and that is also wrong. They should really take that into consideration also.

Great post.

q.
By Clairemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2374, member since Mon Oct 20, 2003
On Sat Dec 27, 2003 04:51 PM
a suggestion:
in the irish section, there is a beginner board because it is a competition level, but it also serves as something of a welcome to irish dance board. i think the other sections should have something similar. or there should be a new member board or something like that...
On Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:55 PM
We have our "Welcome" board, for the new people.

There is also a general rundown of the rules, on the top of every page.

Generally, people seem to find their way to the "Girls & Guys" boards first...and, that's pretty much first come, first serve, say what you want (well, within reason...lol), and do what you want.

Maybe some are taking that mentality a little too far, and going to other boards with that idea... ?? (Probably not, but I'm just putting the idea on the table)

Theresa
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch