Forum: General / Administrative

Administrative
Why We Request Salutes, Why We Don't, And What Happens When Our Requests Go Ignored... (karma: 1)
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Sun Sep 28, 2003 08:20 PM

(Cross Posted To Salutes Board)

Ok.

It's becoming more and more apparent to me that fewer and fewer people understand the "Request A Salute" rule, and it's purpose. So, to save everyone from having to mod request every picture that comes down the pike, I'm gonna give you the lowdown...

<b>The ONLY reason that any of the mods will request a salute from someone is if the pictures you have been posting look overly professional, or look suspicious.</b>

If I post a photo of me with brown hair, and green eyes, and in ten minutes, I post a photo of me with blonde hair and blue eyes, that qualifies as a suspicious photo. A mod request for a salute would then be made.

If I post a photo, and I say that it was taken by a friend in my basement, but it's got a photographers name in the corner, that is a professional photo, and a salute request would be made.

If I post a photo, and one of the mods has seen it on another website, that is a suspicious photo, and a salute request would be made.

<b>Generally, we're very trusting. If we have no reason to believe that it's not you in the photo, then we believe you.</b>

So, people that are posting pictures of themselves that say "This is me in my living room, with my cat fluffy. Isn't she cute?" We've got no reason to believe that that isn't them, and we've got no reason to believe that that isn't fluffy. So we won't request a salute.

<b>If we request a salute from you, you have 7 days from the day of the request to either post a salute, or PM one of the mods, and let us know when you CAN post a salute.</b> Don't leave us hanging with this, as this can mean your banning from dance.net. If you have a salute request (and you'll know if you do, because when a salute is requested from you, you aren't allowed to post ANY photos), either post your salute quick, or get with one of the mods about when you can.

Theresa

15 Replies to Why We Request Salutes, Why We Don't, And What Happens When Our Requests Go Ignored...

re: Why We Request Salutes, Why We Don't, And What Happens When Our Requests Go Ignored...
By Kathymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 10712, member since Wed Mar 05, 2003
On Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:07 AM
This post should made it clear why and when a salute is needed. Thanks for making it more clear.

Kathy
re: Why We Request Salutes, Why We Don't, And What Happens When Our Requests Go Ignored...
By twinklepointemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4388, member since Tue Feb 19, 2002
On Mon Sep 29, 2003 12:21 PM
Im sure everyone wil understand now !
Thank you !
xx
By DanceChica02member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 5447, member since Wed Jan 23, 2002
On Mon Sep 29, 2003 01:43 PM
Thanks for the clarification, Theresa. That makes total sense.

*DanceChica02*
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11250, member since Tue Feb 26, 2002
On Tue Sep 30, 2003 01:16 AM
I think that the reason why there was confusion is because on the photos board it says "You must post a salute before posting photos of yourself" or something like that.
Perhaps that could be changed to reduce confusion.

Erin.
::righteous babe::
By dizzy_dancer23 Comments: 1846, member since Sun Dec 22, 2002
On Tue Sep 30, 2003 08:18 PM
Yeah, I thought salutes were mandatory.
By Dawsondancer Comments: 1600, member since Fri Jun 13, 2003
On Wed Oct 01, 2003 01:33 PM
Yeah I always wondered what qualified as a required salute. That definitely helps a lot. Finally somebody said it. I'm not confused anymore. At long last. LOL

Dawson
By cottntalemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1418, member since Mon Jan 06, 2003
On Fri Oct 03, 2003 03:38 PM
I always thought that salutes where required for everybody. Thanks for making the rule more clear!

cottntale
By pokti Comments: 344, member since Sun Jul 21, 2002
On Sat Oct 04, 2003 03:31 AM
so say i post a pointe salute...

does that mean that i don't need to limit myself to posting pics of my feet?
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Sun Oct 05, 2003 09:19 AM
Salutes are <i>prefered</i> but they are not required, of course, unless we request it.

Pointe salutes are a tricky thing. First, you will not get the "eye" icon for a pointe salute.

But, no, you will not be limited to pictures of your feet. lol...

Theresa
By lilshootingstar Comments: 456, member since Sat Nov 08, 2003
On Sat Nov 08, 2003 10:20 PM
Okay, thanks. I thought that we were all required to post pics and I CAN'T post pics of myself! Thanks for explaining and I think that's a really good rule.

Love,
Brooke
By dancin_shoesmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 128, member since Fri Sep 05, 2003
On Sun Nov 09, 2003 09:00 AM
sorry..but i had to ask, i posted a salute sometime back..and i dont think i've gotten an eye yet.do you give the eye to only those ppl that you've requested a salute from?

sorry if this question is dumb or anything!
On Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:42 PM
^ Sorry about that! :D

If you post a salute, and a few days goes by, and you still don't have your eye, PM one of the mods and ask them if they can check it out for you!

Theresa
By deftonermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1565, member since Sun Jun 08, 2003
On Wed Nov 19, 2003 03:03 PM
a little yellow rectangle in the corner of my screen proclaims "You must salute" but i havn't posted any pics on this website. am i in trouble? *kitten eyes*

blessed be
On Sat Dec 06, 2003 08:56 AM
Your not in trouble. I'm actually a little confused about why you'd have the request if you hadn't posted any photos. One of us must have clicked the wrong link when we were looking at your profile. (I'm kind of bad with that - you'd be amazed the number of people I've accidentially blocked...aarugh!)

At any rate, just post a salute as quick as you can, OK?

Theresa
By miraclefrmheavnmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2068, member since Mon Jun 02, 2008
On Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:20 AM
I have a question please... it was my understanding that you needed to post a salute to post any kind of picture anywhere in the forums, is that correct?

From what I am reading here, it sounds as if anyone can post a photo anywhere without requiring a salute.

I'm just confused that's all. If someone could get back to me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you kindly.

*HUGS* to you all. You mods have a very tough job and I commend you for doing wonderful with it.

Sincerely,

begstretcher2008 :)

ReplySendWatch