Forum: Ballet / Ballet Choreography

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Ballet Choreography
A list of Classical Songs to use for your next solo. (karma: 13)
By Nicci_member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1667, member since Fri Mar 28, 2003
On Sat Oct 11, 2003 08:01 AM
Made sticky by alleycat (25274) on 2003-10-20 11:31:08 Made sticky on members request

I don’t know if this has been done before, but I thought it would be useful if we had a list of classical songs people could dance to. If you have any more feel free to add them.

Tchaikovsky:
• Reed Dance – Swan Lake
• Dance of Swans- Swan Lake
• Valse – Swan Lake
• Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy – The Nutcracker
• Waltz of the flowers – The Nutcracker
• Waltz – The Sleeping Beauty

Grieg
• Anita’s dance – Peer Gynt
• In the Hall of the Mountain King – Peer Gynt

Luadov
• Dolls Complaint
• Music Box

Johann Strauss Jr
• Blue Danube

Mendelssohn
• Scherzo – A Midsummer Nights Dream

Delibes
• Prayer – Coppelia

Vivaldi
• ‘Spring’ Concerto – The Seasons
• 'Summer' Concerto - The Seasons
• ‘Autumn’ Concerto - The Seasons
• ‘Winter’ Concerto - The Seasons

48 Replies to A list of Classical Songs to use for your next solo.

re: A list of Classical Songs to use for your next solo.
By princessroja Comments: 535, member since Tue May 06, 2003
On Sat Oct 11, 2003 11:16 AM
Very helpful! I printed it out- or am going to, in a minute :)
By AnnaPavlovamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1462, member since Wed Jul 23, 2003
On Sun Oct 12, 2003 06:40 AM
That's a great and very helpful list! I have one to add: the Wedding Variation from Coppelia by Delibes. It has to be one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard in my life! It was also my favorite solo I ever had. hehe :D

*~*AnnaPavlova*~*
By devilzsoupmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2909, member since Thu Oct 24, 2002
On Wed Oct 15, 2003 01:56 PM
Cool list! What about the bluebird pas from sleeping beauty? And the peasant gallop from giselle? They're all great suggestions tho!

*E*
By Nicci_member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1667, member since Fri Mar 28, 2003
On Mon Oct 20, 2003 01:33 AM
Oh thanks for the suggestions devilzsoup and AnnaPavlova. I haven't heard them yet so I'll be finding a copy of them soon.
By urbanangel Comments: 85, member since Tue Oct 21, 2003
On Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:54 AM
hey good post!
i have actually used three of these already for my solos in past years!
*urbanangel*
xx
By Echappemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 428, member since Thu Oct 23, 2003
On Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:09 AM
if only i had had this list a few weeks ago!!!

i was choosing an audition piece that lasted around 1.30 minutes. I couldn't find hardly anything that was short enough! I ended editing a version of Prokovievs (sp) Cinderella Waltz because i love that music :D
By kerrygold Comments: 3, member since Tue Mar 25, 2003
On Sat Nov 01, 2003 06:55 AM
I used "Swan" by YoYo Ma. From the cd "Carnival of the Animals". It's very soft and really really pretty. I had 4 senior pointe girls in this number, they wore very soft white costumes. We got a lot of compliments on the music/dance. :)
By rsrc_ballerina Comments: 202, member since Sun Jan 20, 2002
On Mon Dec 01, 2003 09:14 AM
Great list! but how'd this post get marked as sticky?
By Dancrchic913 Comments: 53, member since Tue Sep 30, 2003
On Tue Dec 16, 2003 05:16 PM
That is awsome, thanks
By pointefreek Comments: 771, member since Thu Dec 18, 2003
On Sun Dec 21, 2003 02:03 PM
I usually dance to Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain, because, and I am also trying to perfect doing a lot of fouettes at once.

I would only recommend that song to people who have been dancing for a while. It's 6 Minutes long and it's kinda quick in many parts of the song.
By larkdansmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 552, member since Mon Dec 29, 2003
On Wed Jan 07, 2004 01:27 PM
hey, thank you. Just had to print it out:)
By rhythm5678 Comments: 15, member since Thu Dec 18, 2003
On Fri Feb 06, 2004 07:32 AM
I'm not sure of the name of the composer, but "Flight of the Bumblebee" is great if you have good jumps or fast pirouettes.
LOVE THE LIST
By Joel607 Comments: 72, member since Thu Nov 13, 2003
On Wed Feb 25, 2004 08:12 PM
I'm doing a mixed ballet/pointe routine for six girls to Les Cygne by Sansonne....

but one of my favorites is Introduction and Rondo Cappricioso (sp) also by Camille Sansonne.... I cried the first time i heard it... It is a gorgeous string concerto....
By adridancer Comments: 688, member since Sun Sep 07, 2003
On Tue Mar 02, 2004 03:53 PM
If I may be so bold as to add my own suggestions:

Chopin's Nocturnes (any, they're all good)
Debussy's La Fille aux Cheveax de Lin (Girl with the Flaxen Hair)
Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique

adridancer

*the only sin is mediocrity*~MG
On Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:16 PM
Thank you to everyone who has replied with their own suggestions. I'm sure people will find them helpful. I haven't heard of some of these songs, so I will be looking out for them. I've been looking around for some more, I have a few, but when I've got somemore I'll post them.

RE rhythm5678: Flight of the Bumblebee is by Rimsky-Korsakov.
RE rsrc_ballerina: If you press the Mod button, you can request something to be made sticky.
By balletchipmunk Comments: 0, member since Tue Mar 09, 2004
On Wed Mar 10, 2004 08:53 PM
sould good to me! lol
By LEscrimeurFemmemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1741, member since Fri Dec 27, 2002
On Thu Mar 11, 2004 01:16 AM
just a small correction on the original post:

Grieg's piece is called "Anitra's Dance," not "Anita." I barely caught it but I vaguely remember playing this on piano when I was younger.
On Sat Mar 13, 2004 09:04 PM
That's odd LEscrimeurFemme as all the information, and on the back of CD covers said Anita's...odd. Thanks anyway :)
By shadowdancer314 Comments: 1059, member since Wed Jan 07, 2004
On Sun Mar 14, 2004 09:22 AM
My first solo was in Les Sylphides... the slow one. Chopin, Opus 28, no. 7. Maybe it just has sentimental value (doesn't a first solo always bring back memories?) but its my favorite classical solo music. Its very slow and calm and unrushed. Like stepping into another world. I love it!!!
BUMBLEBEE!!!
By dancingfool434 Comments: 26, member since Fri Mar 19, 2004
On Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:27 PM
Edited by dancingfool434 (87528) on 2004-03-19 22:28:27
This is awesome. I saw a girl at competition do a number to "bumblebee" (cant remember who composed the song) but it was awesome!!! I wouldnt have thought of it... she played it as if she had a bumblebee chasing her while she executed excellent techinque and precision!!!
song
By eloisefigmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1020, member since Sat Feb 14, 2004
On Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:58 PM
my favorites are Tchaikovsky Concerto in B(B flat???) minor
and Vaughn Williams Lark Ascending
By Megdancer Comments: 43, member since Sat May 25, 2002
On Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:37 PM
Cool list. Also Minkus Paquita has lots of solo variations that are good. Don Quijote has two fast energetic solos in the first act three classical ones in the second act and two or three really good pieces in the third act. The music is also Leon Minkus. For an original piece, Weber, Clarinet concerto is beautiful and its easy to dance to. I have more and tons of music. if anybody needs anything leave me a response and I can probably send you a copy of the music online.
By pas_de_chatmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3857, member since Tue Jan 21, 2003
On Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:38 PM
The Fairy Variations from Sleeping Beauty are also very good for solos, particularly if you're looking for an audition piece, cos most of them are about the right length, and I used one as my audition piece this year.

~Cat~
By balletlover12 Comments: 46, member since Wed May 12, 2004
On Wed May 12, 2004 04:47 PM
Where do you find that music?
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch