Forum: Highland / Highland - Hornpipe

Irish hornpipe??
By vickram
On Tue Nov 04, 2003 09:35 AM
Edited by vickram (65418) on 2003-11-04 09:37:37

Hiya,
I am a irish dancer and I was hopin you could answer a question for me. In Irish we have a hornpipe which is done to slower music and you wear different shoes. I was wondering what a highland hornpipe was and whether it was the same idea as the Irish.
Hope you can help
Luv n hugs
Vicky

6 Replies to Irish hornpipe??

re: Irish hornpipe??
By pure_dance101
On Tue Nov 04, 2003 01:12 PM
The highland hornpipe isin't really quite the same deal as an Irish hornpipe.
In highland the music IS different but the dancers wear the same ghillies they wear for other types of dances. They also usually have a different costume which looks something like a sailor's costume because thats where the dance orginated from IE The Sailors Hornpipe. This dance has almost more of a choreographed feel because it has mimicking movements that a sailor would have done. For ex. in one step there is a part where you "pull in the ropes" like you would on a ship. And in Irish we don't do anything like that. The Sailor's hornpipe is also just one dance..unlike the Irish hornpipes where there are numerous steps that very from school to school, the highland one is pretty much like a set dance is in Irish.
Hope that made sence LoL! It's been a while since I've been in highland but I think thats all correct..if its not feel free to tell me what I said wrong anyone! Teehehe..Hope I ansewred your questions
By vickram
On Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:13 AM
Thanx 4 explanin
Luv n hugs
Vicky
By beat_n_mi_feet87
On Tue Nov 11, 2003 08:26 AM
LoL!! Actually you were right on! Great job explaining!

Kammey
By diddlyflutter6
On Sun Jan 04, 2004 03:06 AM
Edited by diddlyflutter6 (74807) on 2004-01-04 03:11:41
actually there is an irish version of the sailor's hornpipe but you couldn't compete with it what with all the arm movements going on...lol. from your explanation it sounds exactly the same but we do it with hard shoes not soft shoes/ghillies. at least the part with imitating pulling the rope...we definitely do that. i LOVE the sailor's hornpipe and i would love to see it performed by highland dancers. we had it in our school drama that we did for a few years and it was pretty good if i do say so myself. lmao
By jerseygirl24601
On Wed Jan 28, 2004 01:03 PM
i'm an irish dancer too and i was a bit confused about the whole hornpipe business..thanks for explaining!
By vickram
On Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:29 AM
Hiya,
Thanx 4 explainin it 4 me!!!
Thanx a lot
Luv n hugs
Vicky

ReplySendWatch