Forum: Ask a Teacher

Page:
Page 5 of 5: 1 2 3 4 5
Am I too late??
By headlessmaiden
On Tue Dec 20, 2005 02:09 AM
Hi!!When I was in the philippines,I only got the chance to dance was every second semester at school.We had to make our own steps(which means thatI wasnt taught'by a real dance teacher)The problem now is I really want to try ballroom dancing or tap or hip-hop.

My question is ...Am I TOO LATE??Will I have the chance to be a gOOD dancer??
re: "Is It Too Late" FAQ
By want2dance04
On Sun Jan 01, 2006 02:09 PM
Do dance studios let people come in now? Like in January? Or do I have to wait until September
By Gwyneth17member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jan 04, 2006 09:26 AM
want2dance04, my studio would let you come in January, but I don't know about other studios.

I started dancing when I was 9, but didn't really start dancing intensively until I was 14 (I am en pointe)...Is that too late to go pro (in corps even)?
Too Late?
By tganiere
On Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:45 AM
Yeah, so I'm hearing you...It's never too late....but it's been over 10 years since I've been on pointe...I'm also 5'6 - a taller gal, I have more muscle mass in my legs so as a teen I was always a better jumper than most gals in my class....BUT it's been over 10 years, I'm completely out of shape...I would feel really dumb going to a class again, trying to do the stuff like I used to - but I miss it, my heart misses it...I miss the work, the sweat and tears of it all. Boy I'd love to have a good 5 hours of barre and floor time again...Girls never give it up!!!
By jazzyjess04
On Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:42 AM
Hi! I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for me about how many classes i should take and what i should be doing. I would like to do point eventually but i am 21 years old and haven't done ballet for a bout 10 years. I JUST started taking classes again. Any advice is appreciated! GReat inspiration on this board by the way.
By dreamdancer10
On Fri Nov 30, 2007 06:52 PM
I was wodering, I started ballet two months before I turned 14 and I want to go pro. Right now I take three classes a week and next year hopefully more. I'm 14 nwe. I really love ballet...Advice?
By Love2dance223
On Fri Dec 07, 2007 05:51 PM
It is NEVER too late to do anything!!!! Dance is great for any age!!!! Pick it up again! If you loved or like dance, you know how good it makes you feel. It's great for the health and it brings my mood up any day! So go for it! Sign up for those classes!!!!! :)
By aerlyn02
On Thu Jan 17, 2008 08:16 PM
I don't think its EVER too late to dance! I think going to college for dance is also a GREAT option! Personally, college opened up so many avenues in dance for me. I learned that there are so many ways to be involved in the dance world besides just dancing and performing! I gained such a better understanding of how the dance world worked through dance internships with real companies and I also had great experiences in studying dance abroad. In college, you take a more scholarly approach to dance - you perform and train intensely (depending on your concentration B.A. vs. B.F.A.) while at the same time learning the anatomy and physiology of the body, biomechanics, kinesiology, nutrition, choreography and more. Many dancers have completed 4 year B.F.A dance performance degrees and continued on to join and perform with major companies. But let's face it, all of us cannot dance forever and a college degree will give you something to fall back on once you stop performing. Even if its a degree in dance - after performing, most dance studios and schools require teachers to have a college degree to teach!

Check out my blog "A Dancer's Health" at adancershealth.com and feel free to email me any questions and I'll be glad to help!
By ClassicIsBeauty
On Fri May 23, 2008 09:29 AM
Is it too late to start dancing? of course no! I personally think that as long as you have a healthy body, you can always start dancing at any age. But, how about being pro? I CANNOT say that it is never too late.

I danced since i was little. Danced ballet about 6 years, stopped about 6 years. And now I'm 18 years old. I entered university 2 years ago. Now, I'm in 2nd year going to 3rd year. And I am not doing dancing as my major, but engineering! It is a competitive class (in my uni), and people here study 7 days a week to get good grades. Why am I in engineering? Simply because I had stopped dancing for years, and never thought about it anymore! But in my first year, I joined chinese dance club in the university. Then, I really fall in love with dancing. Now, I am looking for ballet school near my uni. I am going to sacrifice some of my study time for ballet class. But, can I go pro? It is a huge dream. To far to achieve. I just can see myself being a dance teacher in the future, but being pro? do you think i can be pro? Training twice a week is impossible for me. Simply because i have to study engineering. I cannot just abandon engineering, since my parents sent me abroad to study ENGINEERING.

I watch a lot of ballet videos on youtube. Many ballet dancers upload their dancing videos. They are very very good. But, their names are still not well-known.. there are sooo many beautiful ballerinas outside that can dance sooo well, but even they..are STILL working towards being pro. So, I can just seeing myself being pro, in my dream...that will never come true...perhaps.
By Ahusk89
On Mon May 26, 2008 10:27 AM
Just for the record. I would rather teach an older student just now beginning dance training that has their whole heart into dancing, than a student who doesn't care but has been dancing forever! I'm sure we can all agree, it's not your ability...it's your willpower to do well that makes you a joy to work with! I recently had an adult tap class start this year (9 ladies ages 40-55) and they were soo into it that we even took their dance to a competition! Just for fun! They even won special awards! I couldn't have been more proud of them! They worked harder than ANY of my classes combined!

It's never too late!
By hsoccio
On Fri Jun 13, 2008 05:39 AM
You were starting the school in Feb. It is now June. Can you tell us what happened & how you are doing. This may be encouraging to others.
By nicole1992
On Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:05 PM
krelle81 wrote:

Here is something inspirational for anyone who thinks they are "too old."

I know 2 people who did not start dancing until they were in college, and by the time they graduated, BOTH were in professional companies!

what style of dancing? how old were they when they were in companies?
By BalletxLove
On Sun Jan 10, 2010 05:14 PM
Is it to late to become a professional ballerina at 15?

i love the dance, and my dreams and plan is to become one. i am very serious about this. What do i need to do? like how many classes p/w? along those lines. Please do not say "it's impossible.. yadah" thank you!
By balletstar05member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jan 10, 2010 06:44 PM
Not too late. I would say at LEAST 3 classes a week (and even then you'd have to be working very hard and have some natural talent) probably more if you can, and during the next couple of summers attend some intensives and/or dance all summer at your school. I'd be looking now into what you could be doing this summer since some places fill up quickly and/or require auditions. If you get to the end of high school and still need some more instruction, there are MANY great colleges where you can go and major in ballet and get some more experience before auditioning for companies.
By BalletxLove
On Sun Jan 10, 2010 08:55 PM
thanks! that really helped!!
By dancingness
On Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:54 PM
Hey, we had a dancer here in Australia start at age 22 and at the age of 24 became one of the top 5 in So You Think You Can Dance? Now that's inspiring!! Don't get to the age of 60 and look back and say..."If only I'd done (insert whatever here)!" That's one of my biggest fears, looking back in years to come and thinking why I hadn't tried something when I had the chance. Go for it!
By marietaglioni
On Sun Nov 21, 2010 01:04 PM
I started at 14 and had a decent dance career and now teach. In some ways it made me work harder and more focussed

However I do believe that my late start limited me in that I did have a complex and was always trying prove myself

I would say that anything is possible but late starters can do ok but it is better to start younger
maire
By PMDDancer89
On Mon Sep 05, 2011 09:00 PM
Its NEVER to late to find a love for dance and movement!
By Fromthetop
On Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:00 AM
I have always admired one of my dance professors as she started dancing in college herself and now a University dance instructor. Amazing.. Never to late..
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:57 PM
I would say that anything is possible but late starters can do ok but it is better to start younger

But that kind of defeats the point of this thread. Yes, it would have been better if you'd started younger, but all is not lost if you didn't. You can still get out there and dance.

Will you be a professional on Broadway if you don't start dancing until you're 25? Probably not, no. But can you still learn a lot, meet new people, and have a great time? Of course you can.
By Padmini
On Thu Oct 23, 2014 06:13 PM
I want to start off by stating that I am 30 years old. I had posted a question on Yahoo! Answers before and gotten so much discouragement and hit with the brutal point that it is impossible to start training in ballet from scratch as an adult and aim for a career in it ultimately. So I am trying to really reassess my goals and see what is possible and how to go about doing it.
I decided to just take things step-by-step, put in my very best efforts to get to the next step, while holding onto the love of ballet to drive me forward. I also have a lot of preparation for other fields of professions, which I decided to pursue so I decided that it would be a waste to my preparation for those fields if I just depended on pursuing ballet professionally. I have chosen to really try to earn the most money from the field that I have been studying all these years, while keeping with ballet for the love of it and sees where it takes me.
However, I am of the belief that nothing is impossible. From the earlier feedback that I got from others that my earlier goal is impossible, I will take from it the reality that it will be very hard to reach the goal and that I will have to put in my very best efforts to get there. I really want to believe that it is possible to get a career performing ballet, but I will rely on what I have studied before to make money. I am wise enough to know never to even try my hand at a profession in ballet until I have mastered ballet.
I also do not know whether I have a ballet body. I am 5'7 in height and have big breasts (C cup) and am curvy. I have been slim for the majority of my life, but am trying to lose weight at the moment. I have a short face, average torso (I think), long arms, and long legs. Some people say that I have an hourglass figure, while others say that I have a willowy figure.
Do you know of any real life examples of people that started ballet from scratch in their 30's or later, but ultimately ended up performing principal roles in ballets? I know that many great ballet dancers kept dancing till their 60's or 70's. They started ballet training young, though.
The bottom line is that it is still my dream to become a professional ballet dancer and dance roles in a ballet production. Please tell me whether that can be possible at all.
By DaDancingPsych
On Fri Oct 24, 2014 06:43 AM
I wish I could answer you with great certainty. I could say that a career in ballet even for the most dedicated who started young is possible... but it’s not always. But then again, there is always that one person who overcomes all the odds and makes it happen. Sadly, no one can answer that question for you.

The one thing that dance has taught me is not to limit your dreams. If the only way that you will walk away from this adventure feeling like a success is to be the principle dancer for ABT... well, then the odds for happiness are lower. But I think that if you take joy in each and every step that you take, then the journey (no matter what the outcome) will be a success!

I know of a semi-professional company that produces several ballet productions a year (really cool stuff, too!) Most of the company members are teens potentially on their way to successful careers (although many actually want to do other things in their lives), but they also have a few adults who dance some of the other roles. There is this one woman who I always found so inspiring. She was probably in her 30’s and she did dance as a child, but at some point she let that go to raise a family and be mindful of a career. When he daughter started taking ballet classes, she returned to ballet. Seriously returned to ballet. She got to a point where she was training with the highest level students. Was she the best in this class? No. But she was working like it was nobody’s business. Did she dance the lead roles in the ballets? No. But she had some really fun parts and was always a joy to see dance. She loved every minute of what she was doing and that is all that mattered.

I have known many adults who decided they wanted to dance and have found their own little place in the dance world. For some, just being in class and appreciating the joy of moving was enough. For others, they found places in small dance productions, tap dancing in an adult company, playing a part in the local Nutcracker, competing in ballroom dance, even sharing their new found love of hip hop dance with youth with disabilities. There are opportunities for adults to dance out there, although they may look different than what you envision.

My recommendation. You have a successful career that apparently allows you to live a comfortable life. Excellent; keep that there as your security net! Then just enjoy the dancing ride... see where it takes you. Worry less about the end game and just appreciate and enjoy every opportunity that you have to dance. Just the fact that you were willing to step into a ballet class as an adult makes you a success in my book!
By emilydancer3
On Sat Jun 06, 2015 03:42 PM
I'm already taking dance classes and I know I'm a late starter (started at 12, now 14, going on pointe next year) and if its too late or not, BUT I have a question related to this topic.

If I wanted to train at a prestigious academy that prepares their students for a professional career (i.e. going to the Royal Ballet School for training, but I'm not going to try there obviously) would that be okay? Since I want to either found a ballet school of my own, teach, or be with a modern dance company, I want something rigorous that my recreational dance studio doesn't offer. Is it acceptable to attend an academy like that despite not really going professionally to, for instance, ABT? Particularly when I've started at such a late age?
By Michaelpt
On Tue Mar 29, 2016 09:30 AM
Does anyone know any Clogging teachers in Georgia? I recently moved here and would like to learn clogging, but I haven't been able to find a teacher yet. Thanks so much in advance.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:40 PM
DixieLynn7 wrote:

Does anyone know any Clogging teachers in Georgia? I recently moved here and would like to learn clogging, but I haven't been able to find a teacher yet. Thanks so much in advance.

Boy, do I ever. Where are you in Georgia?

www.gaclogging.com . . .
Page:
Page 5 of 5: 1 2 3 4 5

ReplySendWatch