Forum: Ask a Teacher

Page:
Page 3 of 51 2 3 4 5
re: "Is It Too Late" FAQ en>fr fr>en
By d_dancer001 Comments: 26, member since Tue Apr 27, 2004
On Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:44 PM
Edited by d_dancer001 (91801) on 2004-08-29 12:42:58
I completly agree!
You are making a very good pointe that has been in need to be posted, and I think that everybody should read this!

Thanks

d_dancer001
By Hipdancer Comments: 57, member since Mon Aug 23, 2004
On Wed Sep 01, 2004 08:33 PM
I danced from age 10-18 and then didnt dance again until I was 22 when I took 3 classes before auditioning for dance college. I was accepted, most of the girls where like 16. I left college at 27 and went onto dance professional. So no it is never too late. If you enjoy dancing go for it.
By DreamDancer329 Comments: 103, member since Thu Sep 09, 2004
On Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:26 PM
I have to say this topic had been inspiration to me. I am 27 yrs old and only in my 2nd year of formal dance training. (jazz/hip hop) When I was in middle school I was part of our dance team, that was the last time I had perfomed. When I started back last year I was very concerned about what I could and couldnt do b/c I really didnt know any formal steps but I have caught on quickly and now I am a good dancer. Im still working on my technique but I have picked up alot of the steps. Dancing is something I think I was born to do and now that I am doing it I dont think I will ever stop.
Oh and I had my first ever dance recital last year and it was exhilerating!!!!
I'm going to go back! en>fr fr>en
By nmucciolo Comments: 25, member since Wed Sep 15, 2004
On Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:42 AM
Reading all of these posts makes me realize how much I miss dancing! I did ballet and jazz for so long, pointe for about year and miss it so. I'm 23 and haven't danced since I was about 17/18. Now it's time. I'm going to do it.

Thanks!!
nicole
By jdp5678 Comments: 27, member since Fri Sep 10, 2004
On Tue Sep 21, 2004 08:41 PM
It's never too late
By zoe_dance Comments: 163, member since Tue Sep 28, 2004
On Tue Sep 28, 2004 09:36 AM
A friend of mine started dancing at the age of 40 and now after 3 years she teaches latin dancing
By danzgymn86 Comments: 648, member since Sun Oct 03, 2004
On Mon Oct 04, 2004 08:31 AM
I did gymnastics for 9 years, competitive for 6 of those years. THen, I had to quit at age 15 due to injuries. I ran competitive track (varsity) at school the next year but it just "wasn't the same." So, I started dance in the fall of my senior year of highschool and competed as well. Now, I am a freshman in college and I am still attending my same dance studio and will be competing again.

It's never too late!
By dancebk Comments: 89, member since Thu Sep 09, 2004
On Tue Oct 05, 2004 08:34 AM
I wish I can agree with most of the people here, but the topic of "is it too late" has many arguments. If you want to become a professional ballerina, then starting to dance at age 13-14 is LATE, however with ballromm dancing this may be a very different story. In terms of just dancing, I am a firm beliver that it's never too late to learn how to sway to the music. So, my answer is, it depends on what you are planning to achieve. I have been dancing since I was 6. For the first 7 years of my dance career, my focus was on choreography (at the bar) and folk dancing, I began serious classical ballet en point at age 13... BUT I had 7 years of off point training, so although it was difficult for me to learn and catch up with my peers, i did it. However, my goals didn't iclude becoming a professional ballet dancer or majoring in dance in college. Fo rme dance is my passion, my love. So, If you want to dance... them DANCE, because dance gives yopu an opportunity to express soo many feelings.
By DeStijlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7020, member since Sat Jul 17, 2004
On Fri Oct 08, 2004 07:49 PM
Great post :) it is never too late (hey, its been said but ill say it again lol) I started dancing when in was 3, quit when i was 11, took up ballet again at 13 and jazz again at 14, and i have no trouble keeping up with the girls in my class who have danced since they could walk non stop, its all about determination, if you can dream it you can do it. Now Get out there and dance those butts off. hehe.
By edgedancer Comments: 13, member since Thu Oct 21, 2004
On Fri Oct 22, 2004 09:25 AM
It's only too late when you're dead. I own a school and can't believe how many adults think they can't dance because they didn't take when they were young. Hogwash! Anyone can learn to dance at any age in any style if they have the desire and committment.
By Busturthangmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 26, member since Mon Jun 14, 2004
On Mon Nov 01, 2004 09:47 PM
I have always done fun Jazz classes off and on since i was young. Then when I was 15 and realised how much i wanted to be classically trained, i was like, nah its way too late. But I got into a fun classical class and now my teacher wants me to join her advanced RAD classes. She even asked me if i had done classical before and just wasnt telling her! Dancing is something you have to pour your heart into, its all or nothing. And weather your 5yrs old or 55 yrs old it will show in your performance your love for dance. Adjudicators dont want to see a 15 yr old with 10 yrs experience and all the technique who looks like she has had a gun put to her head in order to get her up there. My point is, reguardless of age, if you love it, DO IT. Hey the experience helps but if dancing makes you feel on top of the world, then put all youve got into it. Its so rewarding...
is it too late? en>fr fr>en
By nemesis3 Comments: 22, member since Tue Nov 02, 2004
On Tue Nov 02, 2004 06:49 PM
i am 23 and i am ina beginners ballet class(classical)...i am very good doing a solo by my self with my own choreography and all but i can say that other people have said i have talent...but i have never taken a class up untill now...for reasons that is areally long story....but anyways i want to know if i may have an opprotunity to get on pointe shoes???...its my one and only dream to dance on pointe!....also i was wondering if i could get on point even though i have just one class a wek...i would love to have more classes but there is only one clas for adults who r beginers...please e-mail me ur answer thanks ...keisha ...arwendreamer@yahoo.com
By dancin_kaos Comments: 6, member since Thu Nov 04, 2004
On Fri Nov 05, 2004 03:06 PM
I am 17 and have been doing dance team for three years now. I would really like to start taking classes and know that I am aroung a pointe level but do not know if I am too old to really start taking ballet classes. This has really helped build my confidence. Thankyou
i am so happy that its not too late en>fr fr>en
By nemesis3 Comments: 22, member since Tue Nov 02, 2004
On Mon Nov 08, 2004 03:03 PM
thank u all for your posts about how its not too late..!!!!...i was in abvsolute awe at what i was reading!....i am even more motivated now that i know i can do it.....ballet for me is an absolute passion eversince i was young ...i am 23 now ....but when i was young no one wanted to pay for the lessons and i wasnt alowed to work so i was kinda bummed out on opprotunities at a young age ....i guess now is my time to0 shine! thanks guys ...u made my day!
By madedancer2nv Comments: 25, member since Mon Nov 08, 2004
On Mon Nov 08, 2004 09:56 PM
Hi, I am 20 years old and i started taken dance at 19 from doing MTV MADE show where i learned to dance and tried out for our school dance team BUT i left the team because it wasnt a very friendly environment and they didnt take dance very serious like i do. Plus i want to take ballet and modern and jazz. So I havent been able to dance since then because our school doesnt have a dance program? So what should I do. Mt dream is to join a dance company in Chicago or some city where dance is booming. But i dont have anywhere to take classes. But do you believe it is still possible to take classes and have a professional career?
By guardlover119 Comments: 115, member since Sat Sep 25, 2004
On Sat Dec 04, 2004 08:47 PM
i just want to say thank you to everyone - I know it is not to late I am 15 and about two months ago found this site and ever since then i have been on here druling over all the beautiful ballet, and pointe pictures ( is that normal) and i have rediscovered my love for dance (i danced when i was like 3 and 4 then quit caus i was overweight) I still am by the way but now that i am back druling over almost any form of dance i am trying to loose weight very hard and i really want to start classes in the summer. I have about 6 years of color guard and 4 years of winter gaurd experience behind me which should help because i know many basics of dance due to that. So ya i just wanted to say thank you because i have more hope now than i did before.
NOOO en>fr fr>en
By broadway4life Comments: 589, member since Thu Dec 02, 2004
On Sat Dec 04, 2004 09:34 PM
I had done gymnastics since i was 4 and started dancing when i was 11. The next year I joined a compeition studio and went to conventions and such and started practicing 9 hrs a week. I am now a lot better then my friends who have been dancing their whole lives at a studio that has good teachers but don't have a competition team. So my answer is no it is never to late and I just won an original choreography silver medal and a tap gold medal at a competition
By flagener Comments: 21, member since Wed Dec 01, 2004
On Mon Dec 06, 2004 09:32 PM
better late than never ;)
By krelle81 Comments: 6, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Thu Dec 09, 2004 05:13 PM
Here is something inspirational for anyone who thinks they are "too old."

I know 2 people who did not start dancing until they were in college, and by the time they graduated, BOTH were in professional companies!
never too late en>fr fr>en
By nmfisher Comments: 22, member since Tue Dec 14, 2004
On Wed Dec 15, 2004 03:09 PM
i didnt start dance training until i was about 17, but i picked up ballet very easily and pointe not too long after, but its so depressing that people are told not to even start point after the age of 14 or 15 because its "too late". i disagree.
Inspiring! en>fr fr>en
By dancegirl90member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1071, member since Thu Dec 09, 2004
On Fri Dec 17, 2004 06:23 AM
All the things you guys say are so inspirational! :) Now I know I can do it and go pro even though I'm 14! :) Thanks. :)
Inspired en>fr fr>en
By white_rose Comments: 5, member since Fri Jan 21, 2005
On Sat Jan 22, 2005 02:10 PM
Just to say how much more inspired and encouraged I feel since reading these posts! I now realise that age is just a number, and that I shouldn't let it stop me from doing what I want to do!

xxxxxx
Strength exercises? en>fr fr>en
By Monice Comments: 374, member since Sat Jan 26, 2002
On Sat Feb 05, 2005 05:00 PM
Hey, I'm not concerned about 'is it too late', but now that I'm going back I'm having a really difficult time adjusting. I'm 18 now.
I did jazz RAD for 7-8 years, and I was about to finish my grade 4 when I was forced to quit. I also did lyrical for 6-7 years and ballet for 3-4 years (I think), and was entering grade 4 CDTA. I stopped in June of 2003, and I was off for a full 8 months, then joined a dance fitness class to get me back in shape. I took a couple classes in the summer at a new studio and was starting to get back into the technique, but I'm still struggling. The new studio focuses on competition, whereas my old studio focused on solid technique and exams. I can only afford one dance class a week, so I need some exercises to do at home. It's extremely frustrating going into class and trying to do what I used to be able to do, and now not having the strength for it.
What are the best ones to get back into shape? I can't remember my syllabus exercises, but I know I need to work a lot on my balance, technique, and overall strength, especially in my legs and turnout. My jumps and turns are brutal, too. I'm so embarassed to have to ask the teacher how to do something when the girls in my class are 5-6 years younger than me. How can I get over this? Better yet, where do I start???
By Dance2ueen Comments: 57, member since Thu May 13, 2004
On Wed Feb 16, 2005 08:32 PM
Hello everyone. I am guessing since its never too late to start dancing, its never too late to respond to this thread. I thought that I was the only one actually feeling this way. For a while I was feeling this way. But does this same rule apply for hip hop and jazz dancers? Or is it just general dance no matter what type?
Actually I am having a lot of financial issues right now and confidence is also a definent. So I do need to start from the bottom up. What should I do in terms of financial issues, because that is basically the only thing that is stopping me from achieving my dreams of being a dancer. I also need physical therapy, and I am going to make an appointment for that. What are the benefits of physical therapy after surgery? It makes me feel soooooo bad. Are there any alternatives for this situation??

Thank :)
NEVER! en>fr fr>en
By PasDeChaval Comments: 35, member since Fri Feb 18, 2005
On Fri Feb 18, 2005 06:19 AM
It is never too late to begin dance training for recreation and body conditioning. It can be too late for a preforming career if you are over 30 and never danced, however Martha Graham began dancing in her late 30's if my memory serves me right, so there are exceptions!
Page:
Page 3 of 51 2 3 4 5

ReplySendWatch