Forum: Advice / Stretching Photos - Members

Page:
Page 1 of 61 2 3 4 5 6
Stretching Photos - Members
Please think before putting down your stretching abilities. (karma: 78)
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15182, member since Thu Aug 22, 2002
On Tue Jan 13, 2004 06:04 PM
Made sticky by balletgurl (11968) on 2004-01-17 13:48:13
Moved to Stretching Photos - Members by MIClogger (28613) on 2004-04-26 19:37:36 member request

Have you ever read a post saying something like "My such and such really sucks, I can normally get my leg higher" posted with a picture of whatever that poster was trying to do? Then, you see the picture and think to yourself, "Well, in my such and such my leg doesn't even go THAT high, I must REALLY suck". I have, and I hate it.

I may not be the most flexible person ever, but I stretch and I work. Everyone's flexibility level is different, and some people have more of a natural flexibility, making others have to work harder to achieve getting their leg higher in a heel stretch, or being capable to even pull their leg into a scorpion.

What is my point? Please think before you diss yourself. Why?

A. It's not healthy to down yourself, I used to diss myself so much and what came of that? Years and years of negativity, it hurt me, it bothered people, and it hurt other people seeing that I couldn't help but think that way. I thought so badly of myself over and over again that it became natural to look at the bad side of things and I STILL think negativly more than I do positivly.

B. No matter what, if your leg is 5 inches off the ground in an arabesque or if it's level with your waist, or if it's almost to your head, you are working at something. It progesses throughout everytime you practice pulling your body into it. You don't suck because you can't get your leg straight in a heel stretch, you rock because you're trying it, and you're succeeding in improving.

C. It hurts other people. As I mentioned earlier, when you say your heel stretch (or whatever) sucks and that your leg can't get to a certain height, it makes people think they suck when they can't get their leg as high as yours. "Well, if she sucks because she can't get her leg up to that height, and I can't even get mine up to the height hers is in, I must really suck!"

So again, please think before you diss yourself. Realize that you're doing great, you're improving everytime you practice, slowly but surely. You're going to get your leg higher, you're going to pull your leg into a scorpion, you're going to get closer to your feet in a backbend (or bridge...whatever you wish me to call them), it doesn't matter how high or close to whatever you are, you're awesome. Everyone on this site has talent. Weither it be dancing, singing, acting, cheering, doing gymnastics, or just being yourself, you'll all great. Please don't put yourself down.

~*DLS*~

135 Replies to Please think before putting down your stretching abilities.

re: Please think before putting down your stretching abilities.
By DaNcA_BeBe Comments: 1158, member since Wed Aug 13, 2003
On Tue Jan 13, 2004 06:19 PM
Hmmm...you don't see a post like this too often. Good point DLS. Very good point. *sigh* I'm over putting myself down...but this made me feel even better. Thanks!

Symone
By xxtwinkletoez Comments: 1615, member since Sat Jun 07, 2003
On Tue Jan 13, 2004 06:47 PM
That is SUCH a great post DLS...couldn't have said it better myself! Maybe this should be sticky...hmmm...
Anyway, giving you karma! Good job! :D
-xxtwinkletoez
By cottntalemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1418, member since Mon Jan 06, 2003
On Tue Jan 13, 2004 07:58 PM
Edited by cottntale (53637) on 2004-01-13 19:59:57 sorry I misspelled your name!
I agree, this should be made a sticky. You are so right DLS, and I know exactly what you mean because many times I felt like I really sucked after looking at such good pictures. I'm not one of those people who are naturally flexible either, I actually had and still work really super hard everyday just to get to where I am now, and I'm not saying that I'm super flexi right now, but I know I am way more flexi than seven months ago when I started stretching. Thanks for posting this. Karma for you.

cottntale
re: Please think before putting down your stretching abilities. (karma: 1)
By DancePrincess827member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 6352, member since Mon Mar 10, 2003
On Wed Jan 14, 2004 02:04 PM
VERY GOOD POST!!! I agree with everything you said. When you put down your own abilities, you might make other people feel bad who aren't quite up to par with what was in the photo. And I really like when you said that no matter how good it is, you rock because you are trying. That is so true. If your arabesque is only like 5 inches off the ground and you post a picture asking for help, then you rock because you care enough to ask for help. Thanks so much DLS!!!
By AxmKapmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 355, member since Fri Feb 01, 2002
On Wed Jan 14, 2004 07:07 PM
Very good point. This is like the student who always complains that they're gonna fail a class or test and end up with like a 95% average. That really kills me.

Steve
By wetnoodle Comments: 720, member since Mon Dec 16, 2002
On Sun Jan 18, 2004 01:22 AM
ahh, thank you :D :D i think this board needed that. I completely agree!
By Peachy Comments: 495, member since Fri Jan 31, 2003
On Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:27 PM
you have made an excellent point and i thankyou for bringing it to attention, your right everyone here is unique and great in their own way but the way you said it put a little more to it, im rating you up for your inspiration!!!

~peachy~

*WE should consider each day lost in which we have not danced at least once*
By MHSdanceline Comments: 50, member since Wed May 28, 2003
On Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:51 AM
Thanks for the post! I definately agree! One of the reasons it took me a while to get a certain stretch is because when I tried to do my splits, ect. I would get discouraged when I couldnt get them right away and so I would give up! not good!! I still love seeing the pictures of people doing their stretches tho, it gives me something new to try and work at
By Kathymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 10711, member since Wed Mar 05, 2003
On Tue Jan 20, 2004 09:47 AM
Oh... this was a fantastic post!!!!! You speak out of my heart.

Kathy
www.ballett.istcool.de
By katsepmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 196, member since Fri Jan 16, 2004
On Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:31 PM
thnx - i needed something like taht at the moment =)
By GonnaBeAStar Comments: 3928, member since Wed Feb 20, 2002
On Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:36 PM
Yay!! That was such an excellent post!!
I was really hoping someone would post something like this cos I've noticed it too, and it really annoys me. It also annoys me when all the replies to the post are 'you're not rubbish' 'That's great' and so on.

So yea, thanks! :)
By chillin_penguin Comments: 110, member since Sat Oct 04, 2003
On Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:21 PM
good post - karma for u! :]
By dreamin_dancer Comments: 191, member since Mon Dec 01, 2003
On Fri Jan 23, 2004 04:23 PM
THANK YOU SO MUCH! I'm one of those people who feel bad after seeing a pic like that.
By balletsweetie33 Comments: 210, member since Sat Aug 30, 2003
On Sun Feb 01, 2004 05:52 PM
i agree. also, i think some (im not saying all) of those pictures and comments about "i suck at this" are not really being honest, i think there are people who just want to show an awesome pic of themself and call it bad just so others will say ohh no you're so good, blah blah blah. i think some people just dont wanna seem like they're bragging about themselves but still want attention for the pic.
By CapnTripleThreat Comments: 93, member since Sat Oct 11, 2003
On Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:29 AM
Thanks...I agree, but wasn't brave enough to say it. Thanks again!
By DevilishDiva Comments: 5188, member since Sun Feb 23, 2003
On Tue Feb 03, 2004 03:14 PM
hiya

amazing post- it really inspired me! :)

thanx for taking the time to write this, i'm sure it'll make a big difference to many peoples's outlook on life and dancin. Thanx again for ya effort, i've rated this comment 4 ya coz ya really deserve some karma for all ya work! :)

luv lynz
By snoopyjotmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 722, member since Wed Feb 04, 2004
On Wed Feb 04, 2004 09:12 AM
hiya, you make excellent points, you should never put your self down, in anything! i'n naturally as supple as a contortionist so i've never really had to work at my flexibility, but i have the MOST respect for those that have to work hard at it, particularly on those days when i'm feeling a little stiff! I do love to show-off though, which does annoy some people... but i do train at a circus school so what do they expect!

good luck to everyone in their stretching!!
Fiona
By Bailarinamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 584, member since Mon Feb 03, 2003
On Thu Feb 05, 2004 01:35 PM
Really good post. Really!!
Karma for you!

Raquel
By rgjg10 Comments: 56, member since Sat Feb 07, 2004
On Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:08 PM
you make excellent points, and i think negative thoughts about myself all the time and my rhythmic gymnastics. and usually even the lightest constructive criticism could have me obsessing for days. (i have that problem most with my math actually) but anyways, its a horrible perfectionist habit and i'll work on breaking it everyday from now on! thank you so much.
By Chouplalamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 6421, member since Sat Oct 18, 2003
On Sun Feb 08, 2004 05:57 AM
wow, what a good post!
thanks balletgurl for making this a sticky, and thanks
dsl for posting this, like everyone else is doing, im giving
you karma :D
By rocknrafe Comments: 580, member since Wed Feb 04, 2004
On Mon Feb 16, 2004 03:52 PM
Thank you thank you thank you. Wonderful post. I rated you up.
By dramatic_mindmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 500, member since Fri Feb 06, 2004
On Tue Feb 17, 2004 09:21 AM
I'd just like to point out that negativity can lead to depression and suicide. A very close friend of mine lost her father to suicide because he was always so hard on himself, he just came to the conclusion that he wasn't good enough to live.

No matter what you are able to do, just remember that you are doing your best and with time and practice you can only get better!
By Loki85member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 434, member since Sun Jul 20, 2003
On Wed Feb 18, 2004 09:14 PM
Great post, you brought up a lot of really good points we should pay attention to! We all work as hard as we can, and we're all improving, and it doesn't help at all to discourage ourselves or others :)
By Smushi Comments: 53, member since Thu Feb 19, 2004
On Thu Feb 19, 2004 09:05 PM
your right im not that flexible but i am working on my flexibility, and I feel stupid when other people are like I can do it better and then say that they still suck.
Page:
Page 1 of 61 2 3 4 5 6

ReplySendWatch