Forum: Highland / Highland - Hornpipe

Fav and Worst Steps
By highland_dance04
On Wed Jan 14, 2004 03:14 PM

Does anyone have a fav and worst hornpipe step. my fav is the lowcutting and worst is the shake shake rock rock.

8 Replies to Fav and Worst Steps

re: Fav and Worst Steps
By GonnaBeAStar
On Fri Jan 16, 2004 04:54 AM
Hasn't this already been posted? :)
By maureensiobhan
On Fri Jan 16, 2004 09:51 AM
I think the most difficult step is the pumping step because it requires such control and balance. The last step is extremely difficult, too, since basically you have twenty-six high cuts in a row, ending with a leap. This is hard at the end of a dance. I think my favorite step is the second step, because you can really get into it if you are going to use arm movements. The crab walk step can be fun too.
By dance_deva
On Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:38 PM
What do you mean "you can really get into the second step if you are going to use arm movements?" Do you dance with another association? I once saw non board dancers dancing different steps from board, they were quite different with arm movements.
By maureensiobhan
On Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:33 AM
I have seen dancers use the arms folded on counts & 8 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 5 & 6 & 7, then hitching on counts & 8 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 5 & 6 & 7, then look-out on counts & 8 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 5 & 6 & 7 (bars 1-6), then break on bars 7 and 8. Then repeat these on bars 9-16.
By GonnaBeAStar
On Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:08 AM
MaureenSiobhan, what Association do you dance with? Or teach with?
By maureensiobhan
On Sat Jan 17, 2004 01:50 PM
I have danced and taught with BATD and SOBHD, and believe it or not, I have seen dancers use these arm movements in that step.
By GonnaBeAStar
On Sun Jan 18, 2004 07:05 AM
How long ago was this that you saw these arms being done?
Cos if they were done now, wouldn't the competitor be disqualified under SOBHD?
By maureensiobhan
On Mon Jan 19, 2004 03:42 PM
I saw dancers using these arms when I was competing more than twenty years ago. I know many things have changed, and this is obviously one of them, and in the textbook for the hornpipe (I have the up-to-date one), the arms are to stay in the second position.

ReplySendWatch