Feature: General / Modern / Modern Dance - General

Page:
Page 10 of 101 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
re: What the Heck is Modern Dance???
By adultlondancer Comments: 30, member since Mon Mar 21, 2011
On Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:15 PM
I find it annoying in the UK that modern over here is actually jazz or modern theatre and very few schools I've seen teach comtempary which is American modern!
Usually if it's not a syllabus class or it's an adult class it's jazz.

I'm an adult dancer and would love to take classes in both contempary/modern and Jazz but it's just findng the classes!
By ChainedLady Comments: 36, member since Fri Apr 25, 2008
On Tue Jun 28, 2011 01:11 AM
This is a great posting because no only can dance types be defined in terms of what they are trying to convey but by their history. You did that here with bringing up Martha Gram and Isadora Duncan. I would also like to point out that the difference dance forms can also be classified in terms of what their emphasis is. What I mean by that is, ballet is emphasizing line in the body. While modern dance emphasizes the shape that your body makes when you dance. I'm a double major my second major being fashion design but I had to take a class in "Fundamentals of Design" and it really helped me to apply this concept not only to the way that I look at my designs as a fashion designer but when I look at all art forms because we learned about the elements and principles of design (shape, form, line, proportion etc). Applying this to dance, one can see how each element is applied and therefore come to a conclution about which dance form is being used. The elements of design in art are to dance as a medium (oil paint, acrylic paint, watercolor etc) would be to a painter. I thought that was a pretty cool finding. :)
By nixs29 Comments: 20, member since Tue Jul 26, 2011
On Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:35 AM
i know your not looking for what it is but a short version of what you said is modern is a slower version of jazz
By misssplits95 Comments: 32, member since Sun Aug 28, 2011
On Mon Oct 03, 2011 03:54 PM
thankyou :)
By TheWinged Comments: 315, member since Tue Mar 05, 2002
On Fri Jul 20, 2012 06:37 AM
Slower version of jazz?! Seriously?! Modern encompasses the full range of timing, rhythms, harmonic and dissonantial movement. It can be symmetrical and asymmetrical. It can be lyrical and flowing or disjointed and sharp. It can look like its' dancers are on speed or in a time warp or underwater or...the imagination is the limit! Jazz dance comes out of a history of ballet, modern and ethnic forms (mostly African) to create a hodgepodge or synthesis of these styles and techniques, initially paralleling jazz music! It was usually the chosen style for B'way musicals where it really came into its' own. But, it ain't faster modern! Nuff said...
By dancer_aimyXomember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 962, member since Wed Oct 15, 2008
On Sun Jun 16, 2013 04:45 AM
Really interesting I had to study all these people mentioned for my HND in dance.
Although you did mention about calling it something different I am from Ireland and I know here from your description we call this Contemporary dance. It is also called contemporary in Europe as well as United Kingdom.
Our term of contemporary could vary , I know it is constantly changing . We have dance with technology such as shadow /shillouette Dancing , 3d lights etc but we class this all as contemporary .
Would you class that as modern? It's just interesting the difference from around the world. I know Dublin theatre of Ireland went to New York and performed a block party . This to us was contemporary .

Modern or Contempoary it's there to be enjoyed and explored.
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Wed Jun 26, 2013 03:27 AM
Modern is anything from 1900 through 1970. Contemporary is anything after 1970. Anyone who tells you different is full of crap. Doesn't matter what country you're in. Pick up a dance history book and see for yourself. In fact, you can pick up any kind of art history book and see consistent definitions for the terms "modern" and "contemporary". Those definitions are not constantly changing. And the idea that the definitions are somehow different in the UK is laughable.

Comment #10183771 deleted

Page:
Page 10 of 101 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

ReplySendWatch