Feature: General / Modern / Modern Dance - General

Page:
Page 3 of 101 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
re: What the Heck is Modern Dance???
By calypsomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3453, member since Fri Aug 10, 2001
On Mon Oct 25, 2004 09:00 AM
BeccaBecca,

That leaves it up to us to decide what is art and what is crap.

bg
Wonderful Article!
By LivingSoulDancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 297, member since Thu Oct 21, 2004
On Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:15 PM
This was great! Karma for You.:)
By mdcdance Comments: 325, member since Wed Nov 12, 2003
On Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:48 AM
As a member that can not give you "Karma" I appologize. You gave the best possible (brief) description that you could and I give you credit for that!!very nice job to you!
By Dancer904Premium member Comments: 3630, member since Sat Aug 16, 2003
On Sun Oct 31, 2004 06:36 AM
i dont understand why a couple competitions put lyrical and modern dances in the same category. I know they are completely different.
By Mr_Monty Comments: 9, member since Tue Nov 02, 2004
On Tue Nov 02, 2004 01:37 AM
Wow all these people saying all these things, I thought it was just where you got down and moved on the dance floor
What the Heck is Modern Dance
By frostburgdancer Comments: 36, member since Tue Nov 02, 2004
On Tue Nov 02, 2004 03:48 PM
In my oppiniom, modern can't really be defined. Its different for everyone, and different for each choreographer. I have been in modern dance since I was about 11 years old and I am 19 now. Each modern instructor i've danced with has had their own style and put their own feelings into it. I think modern dance is so neat and creative looking, because you don't need as much technique to do it, because it is mostly adding your own flavor to it, and improvising. The movement is more free and although some people may say it looks silly... I think it is such a beautiful form of dance... I would probably have to say its my favorite!
By yoooo Comments: 0, member since Tue Nov 02, 2004
On Fri Nov 05, 2004 01:11 AM
lol
By MeghanBeres Comments: 30, member since Thu Nov 04, 2004
On Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:39 PM
Such a good question. "What the heck is modern dance?"...though I often find myself thinking that a better question would be "what isn't?"

Classical ballet certainly isn't, by definition. Neither are other proscribed forms such as Fosse Jazz, Highland, etc. But into that big grey area between forms is where the term "modern dance" seems to be applied.

At the university I attended, we spoke of modern in the same way we spoke of ballet. Instead of "Ceccheti or Russian?", the question in the modern faculty was "Limon, Humphrey, Graham, or Horton?" There ARE definite traditions in modern dance and distinctive vocabularies but most schools, outside of university or professional schools, don't teach it as such, preferring to call lyrical, liturgical or interpretative dance "modern" for the sake of ease, no doubt.

This is such an interesting question to me. Having moved recently, I find myself in a place with very little modern dance tradition, and I'm asked what modern dance is a fair deal. It's been great reading the responses.

M
By CelloAdagio Comments: 55, member since Thu Nov 11, 2004
On Thu Nov 11, 2004 03:25 PM
a simply wonderful post!

so informative. i take modern and ballet...and they seem really different to me! thanks for the info! best wishes.

-CelloAdagio
By Rhythmic Comments: 44, member since Sun Oct 31, 2004
On Fri Nov 12, 2004 01:12 PM
Thanx 4 clearing that up, excellent article! I get tired of having to explain it myself...Another annoying dance topic should be why dancers can't just simply say that they are dancers anymore, we have 2 specify, ballet dancer, or hip hop dancer,etc., because people think U mean Ure a stripper! Happens 2 me all the time, unfortunately! LOL
Rhythmic
By calypsomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3453, member since Fri Aug 10, 2001
On Fri Nov 12, 2004 01:14 PM
Frostburgdancer,

It's pretty clear you didn't read my post at all!

bg
Re: what the heck is modern dance?
By dssdancer12 Comments: 18, member since Fri Nov 12, 2004
On Sat Nov 13, 2004 09:01 AM
hey,
thanks for the awesome post! I just started modern dance about a month ago and this really helped me understand it better. Thanks agian!
By TwirlingGirl09 Comments: 95, member since Fri Nov 12, 2004
On Sat Nov 13, 2004 04:24 PM
never woulda known!!
i never liked history but that was great... well i like it if it has to do with dance!

~:*:~Kristina~Beebop~:*:~
By MeghanBeres Comments: 30, member since Thu Nov 04, 2004
On Thu Nov 18, 2004 06:45 PM
Balletgurl-

This is slightly tangential, but have you read "No Fixed Points?" It's possibly the best dance history book I've ever read (and in U, I read a lot...). Super comprehensive. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a sense of the lineage and history of modern dance. And it DOES have a lineage, and it DOES have a history. As the ladies and gents posting in this thread (but sadly, so few others) are obviously aware.

Meg
By tx_blueeyes05 Comments: 51, member since Wed Oct 13, 2004
On Fri Nov 26, 2004 02:15 PM
Edited by tx_blueeyes05 (109297) on 2004-11-26 14:09:47
thats alot of info.. thanks for sharing! :)
hey
By chris_ballet_16member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 106, member since Fri Jan 02, 2004
On Fri Nov 26, 2004 02:39 PM
karma fo you
By Silver_Ribbons Comments: 22, member since Sun Nov 14, 2004
On Wed Dec 01, 2004 01:09 PM
That is a great article! I really want to take some modern classes, but my dance studio does not have any.... Maybe when I get to college...
By darkdancer845member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 337, member since Mon Nov 15, 2004
On Thu Dec 02, 2004 04:42 PM
Yeah, so I gotta post 15 more messages to become a full member, so I'm just posting. Modern dance is a wonderful wonderful thing. 14 more to go!
By yoooo Comments: 0, member since Tue Nov 02, 2004
On Thu Dec 09, 2004 08:30 PM
cool
By sunny_day Comments: 275, member since Wed Dec 29, 2004
On Wed Dec 29, 2004 06:27 AM
thanks balletgurl:)) your article is really informative. Do you know more sorces of information about contemporary dance? Except books, becouse I'm not from US so I woundn't have chance to borrow it. Thanks a lot again!! cya!
By hsd_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 172, member since Sat Sep 25, 2004
On Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:41 AM
Thank you soo much balletgurl. I knew absolutely nothing on modern and it really helped because I am required to take a modern class next year and I was pretty freaked out because I knew nothing about it. It was a very well written article. Karma for you. You deserve it!
hsd_dancer
bravo
By madtapper Comments: 9, member since Sat Nov 13, 2004
On Wed Jan 05, 2005 07:26 PM
very good post i knew virtually nothing about modern dance until now.
thanks
thanks
By hiphop_dancer07 Comments: 20, member since Sat Jan 01, 2005
On Thu Jan 06, 2005 06:43 PM
thankyou alot because i understand exactly what ist is now. and i also learned a lot.
By tinkabell2 Comments: 64, member since Sat Jan 01, 2005
On Sat Jan 08, 2005 09:22 AM
wow thats a really good expaination i've never understood what modern dance was until now!
Thanks
Tinkabell2
By dancermike2 Comments: 34, member since Tue Jan 04, 2005
On Mon Jan 10, 2005 04:54 PM
what is modern hahaha.... I dunno I guess it depends what you think it is I saw some really interesting modern at the American Dance Festival I was an intern and got to see all the shows! in 03' it was there annversary year so I saw a ton of differnent groups, I saw pilobiolus (who are a group of non dancers heheh.....) paul taylor, shen wei, some french group that did almost no dance at all sorry cant remember there name, twyla sharp (sp) etc. the list goes on and on, but anyways I saw things that I thought were so far off the scale of what dance is or what I like to think of it as that I didnt know what to make of it. I mean I like to think of dance as having some meaning to the jestures a story maybe set to music maybe emotion, I like some of the experimental stuff but when it becomes just jumping up and down on the same foot for an hour or rolling around on the ground for 30mins I get bored and see no connections between movements or anything I guess modern is what you make of it, I like to think of it as some kind of rebellion to ballet, When I saw twyla sharp I though her dance company was amazing! but most of the modern dancers I was friends with hated it! probably cause twyla is a crazy premadonna who ran around yelling at everyone and telling everyone how bad they sucked and how good her dancers were! oh well its all about interpetation so modern I say go see it all and make your own mind up!

-Mike
Page:
Page 3 of 101 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

ReplySendWatch