Feature: General / Modern / Modern Dance - General

Page:
Page 5 of 101 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
re: What the Heck is Modern Dance???
By BeautifulTyrant Comments: 64, member since Sat Mar 05, 2005
On Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:49 AM
That makes way more sense, I heard that modern had a ot to do with the curvature of the back and spine, with certain types of movements, but modern never seemed that structured before, this puts in into perspective a lot better! (Forgive me if I'm wrong that modern's not structured :?)

What about modern that involves a bit of talking from the dancers?
By bluebutterfly777 Comments: 67, member since Sat Apr 30, 2005
On Sat May 07, 2005 10:09 PM
Thank you so much for making that clear! I've been really confused and have given up on modern dance since my teacher entered my modern dance in a contemporary section in a esteiford and then wouldn't accpet it!
By kluelezsxykel Comments: 24, member since Mon Jul 26, 2004
On Wed May 11, 2005 04:31 PM
Whoa! What a great post, I never knew that about Modern Dance. Thats really helped a lot, I've got a major modern exam this weekend. Thanx!

Kluelezsxykel x
By kelbo267 Comments: 51, member since Sun May 08, 2005
On Sat May 14, 2005 03:09 PM
That was great. I read this before I started taking my first modern class. It was so helpful, I had as better idea of what to expect.
By WingQueen Comments: 126, member since Sat May 14, 2005
On Sat May 14, 2005 08:45 PM
Modern dance is a very strange kind of dance in my opinion, but very creative at the same time. That is most likely the reason i love it so. I guess there really isn't a way to describe it except a wilder version of jazz.
WQ
By calypsomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3453, member since Fri Aug 10, 2001
On Sun May 15, 2005 12:14 PM
I guess there really isn't a way to describe it except a wilder version of jazz.

I guess you didn't read the original post then, which goes on and on about describing it.

bg
By pompeyblonde Comments: 62, member since Mon May 30, 2005
On Mon May 30, 2005 05:22 PM
modern is mysteriouse type of dance but i had always thought of it as a type of ballet i dont know why but itt does have some features of ballet techniques xxpompey blondexx
By calypsomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3453, member since Fri Aug 10, 2001
On Mon May 30, 2005 07:42 PM
I think I'm going to scream.
By Daniemumember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1429, member since Sat Oct 16, 2004
On Tue Jun 07, 2005 07:53 PM
that is a great article thanks for helping me! just earlier today, my sister and i were trying to define what modern dance is, and we described it as an emotional jazz, we got this idea from a dance in our recital that our teachers did, it was called "Redemption" and there were things in there that we hadn't seen before and they had emotional movements and faces so we described it as emotional jazz... um... am i close?
By kjdancer2 Comments: 5, member since Tue Jun 07, 2005
On Wed Jun 08, 2005 02:09 AM
wow, what great reading. i am going to print it off for my pupils to read! here in new zealand contemporary is the common name for modern dance
By anirella Comments: 25, member since Wed Jun 15, 2005
On Fri Jun 17, 2005 09:14 AM
Great!! I;ve just started dancing in what my school calls a modern dance club but really, it isn't now that i've read this. no more confusion
By dancnpantzmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1149, member since Wed Jun 09, 2004
On Sat Jun 18, 2005 04:46 PM
GREAT post! There has been a lot of confusion about what Modern is. Esspecially at my studio which is called Modern Dance Arts(modern being up-to-date)
By Deathica Comments: 52, member since Wed Jun 22, 2005
On Thu Jun 23, 2005 07:25 PM
I actually performed The Winged in high school. I went to Benjamin N. Cardozo High School, a public school in Queens NY and we had people from the Limon company come in and teach us Limon dances. Then, once I got to college I learned more Limon dances including A Choreographic Offering and other upperclass men learned Psalm which I thought was very beautiful especially the ending with the three lines switching. Next semester we're supposed to be working with another member of the Limon company to learn a new piece although nobody knows what this mystery piece is yet.
By Danztchr07 Comments: 624, member since Thu Jun 16, 2005
On Sun Jun 26, 2005 02:54 PM
Great posting! I have to admit that even though I took many classes of modern in college (Limon, Taylor, Hawkins, Horton techniques etc...) and I am currently in a modern dance company, I struggle to tell parents what modern dance is sometimes at my studio. "Earthy" is a popular term I've used.
By danceenthusiast Comments: 16, member since Sat Jun 25, 2005
On Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:08 PM
Thanks! this was a really great post, and it's no doubt to why it was made a sticky. :P I really wanna learn how to do modern... it looks like you have to be really flexible and all.
By Greenish Comments: 44, member since Sat Jun 04, 2005
On Sat Jul 02, 2005 08:14 AM
Thankyou so much. I'm starting modern classes soon and I'm really glad I read this. This is a great history about modern dance, I learned a lot of interesting facts. Thankyou for sharing.
By southerndancegur Comments: 405, member since Sat Feb 12, 2005
On Sun Jul 03, 2005 01:49 PM
Thanks!! That was very informative. Karma for you!
By from_lornasmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1973, member since Sun Feb 29, 2004
On Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:37 PM
That was awesome, I've read it before, but I read it again just now, and used a lot of it (I did not plagarise though!) of this info for my little report my dance teacher assigned for me, since I'm starting contemporary. I made a reference, and I'm so glad this was here for me to use. Thank you!
By Rouxz Comments: 175, member since Tue Jul 05, 2005
On Thu Jul 14, 2005 09:06 AM
Wow great research and post! I dance modern and i remeber when i first started i asked that very same question...they told me that it was whatever felt natural...kinda more to the lyrical side but hey i still fell in love with it! Thanx for the history!
Rouxz
By coolbeansbabies Comments: 17, member since Mon Jul 25, 2005
On Fri Jul 29, 2005 04:47 PM
modern is so awesome!i absolutely love to dance modern...modern is more of not ballet...it's the opposite..sometimes people try to dance modern and it looks awful!especially when ppl wear bright 1 piece costumes!uggh!
wow!! great article
By cavyli Comments: 43, member since Sun Aug 14, 2005
On Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:48 AM
wow!! thanks balletgurl. it's such an informative history about modern dance. i don't know anything about modern dance and now i get the idea of it. thank you for sharing the infromation. great article!
Modern Technique Info
By danceemotion Comments: 21, member since Mon Aug 15, 2005
On Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:28 AM
Can you suggest any books/ videos as aides to teaching the Limon method of modern?
By Highlandlizmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1510, member since Sat May 22, 2004
On Wed Aug 17, 2005 02:52 PM
I have always wondered about Modern, its cool that its really kinda old when ya think logically but not resally comparitively.
What is Dance?
By VeniciaDansaPremium member Comments: 1698, member since Thu Nov 18, 2004
On Wed Aug 17, 2005 05:59 PM
Interesting write up. I am a professional Modern Dancer living and working in Vancouver, BC, Canada. I welcome you to open a discussion about Modern dance and Dance in general, as I feel that now and days, people don't seem to know much about any kind of dance unless they are doing it themselves! What can we (dancers) do to educate and welcome the public to our world of art? As a teacher of dance, as well as studying Dance, I feel it is so much more than technique and repetition. What can sometimes seem to get lost along the way of mentoring or learning is the passion and love behind the art form.
My goal as a teacher (as well as continuous student) is to be honest about my own strengths, weaknesses, knowledge, passions and talent, and to encourage this in every student I have the privilege of crossing paths with. Although a strong base of technique and study can be vital in developing a career as a dance artist, the beauty of dance is not held in the height of a leg, the features of the performer or the competitive aspects of working; it is seen in the heart, charisma and integrity of the individual and the work.
It is my hope that the art of dance and the passion of performing have a long and fortuitous life. By approaching it through truth, humor and a positive perspective, we can all look forward to a community of strong, proud and beautiful dance artists.
?
By Freakodance Comments: 78, member since Fri Aug 19, 2005
On Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:11 AM
I think that the definition of modern dance is different to every individual. Depending how you are taught and the style you learn. Basically I would define modern dance as an abstract form of dance which freely expresses movement without the restrictions of ballet.
Page:
Page 5 of 101 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

ReplySendWatch