Feature: General / Modern / Modern Dance - General

Page:
Page 6 of 101 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
re: What the Heck is Modern Dance???
By calypsomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3453, member since Fri Aug 10, 2001
On Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:16 AM
Uh, Freakodance,

READ the article instead of seagulling... this post is chock full of what modern dance IS and where it came from.
By Freakodance Comments: 78, member since Fri Aug 19, 2005
On Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:56 AM
balletgurl i was simply stating what my opinion of modern dance is there is no right or wrong, you are fully entitilled to yours
By calypsomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3453, member since Fri Aug 10, 2001
On Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:36 AM
Freakodance,

There is no "opinion" here... I laid out the history and the foundation of modern dance. Your post gives the feeling that you did not read the original post. There's a right and wrong when it comes to the history, and what the term "modern dance" refers to in relation to said history.

bg
By Lizy36 Comments: 142, member since Sat Jul 23, 2005
On Sat Sep 03, 2005 09:28 PM
im still confused. i mean, i know where modern comes from now, but what about what it actually is. like right now i think that it is kinda lyrical, kinda jazz with a lot of your own movements and things that dont technically have names. its very original and free spirited. am i right or wrong. somebody please tell me.

Elisabeth
By terpsihora Comments: 22, member since Thu Sep 15, 2005
On Thu Sep 15, 2005 02:04 PM
"I heard it's that stuff that Britney Spears does, that's pretty modern, don't you think?"

who would ask such a thing?!?!?!?!?!?
On Thu Sep 15, 2005 03:08 PM
Terpsihora,

You would be SO surprised at how many times I've heard that or something similar.
By e_l_l_e_ Comments: 6, member since Tue Sep 20, 2005
On Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:48 PM
hehe, this does clear a lot of things up, because Im not going to lie, I was almost totally confused and didn't know what to think about modern dance. It's good to actually know some history behind it, wonderful article.
great article
By megstar Comments: 22, member since Fri Sep 23, 2005
On Tue Sep 27, 2005 06:38 PM
great article i already knew what modern was because i've taken it but i never knew how it actually originated thanx
By dancingdiva44 Comments: 38, member since Wed Sep 28, 2005
On Tue Oct 04, 2005 02:55 AM
Removed by balletgurl (11968) on 2005-10-06 11:52:46 netspeak
hi
i am bec and i am an AUSSIE chick from victoria in Australia, wat u guys call a modern we call a Neo, i do a dance by christina Agulira called the Voice within i really like it and my costume is really pretty my mum made it (thanx mum)
in new south wales in Australia they also call it a modern. which was weird because i was doing a soft ballet type dance and a girl did bring me to life by evanescence and she was all dresssed in black and i was in a soft pink dress and she won! i was really shocked cause she wouldnt have been classified in the right section in victoria she would hav been doing practically a jazz! so tell me wat u think.
thanx keep on dancing
luv bec xoxoxox
By dancinqueen1403 Comments: 29, member since Fri Apr 08, 2005
On Thu Oct 20, 2005 04:03 PM
Its about expressing yourself, can vary through any styles of dance! xx
By yazdancer Comments: 20, member since Tue Sep 27, 2005
On Sun Oct 23, 2005 02:55 AM
This is a great article! I learned a lot too. This will definitely help appreciate modern dance more. Thanks a lot.
I'm doing some extra research...
By dancegal2002 Comments: 924, member since Tue Feb 11, 2003
On Fri Oct 28, 2005 05:01 AM
That was very intresting, thanks for posting :) ~karma~
By kabdancer Comments: 420, member since Sat Aug 21, 2004
On Sat Oct 29, 2005 08:31 PM
Balletgurl, I'm just curious, as I have modelled your post here and put a " What the Heck is Jazz Dance?" in the jazz dept. Does it drive you nuts when people don't read the whole post, but simple think it's a question and try to answer it with the same misinformation that promted you to post the post in the first place? And then when you try to ask them to please read before they post they get all high and mighty and tell you it was too long and boring? Just wondering, because I'm really feeling like people don't bother to read or care and get ticky when you try to teach them something, and I;m beginning to feel like I might just give up here.
cheers
Kabdancer
On Sat Oct 29, 2005 09:38 PM
Kabdancer,

You hit the nail on the head... it's SO frustrating sometimes! However- I keep in mind all the other people who took the time to read it and learned something new, and I at least don't knock my head against the wall.

:)
By kabdancer Comments: 420, member since Sat Aug 21, 2004
On Sun Oct 30, 2005 03:19 AM
true, very true, there are alot who do read and do learn something...thank you to those who are interested and take the time to read. Bravo.
Thanx for the reminder Balletgurl.
cheers
KD
re: What the Heck is Modern Dance??? (karma: 1)
By aprime Comments: 47, member since Sat Feb 23, 2002
On Sun Nov 06, 2005 01:47 PM
BalletGurl, I hope you don't mind if I contribute to your post with some book recommendations. These are some that I have read and found worthwhile.

Easier, introductive reads:
Ballet and Modern Dance by Susan Au
Ballet and Modern Dance: A Concise History by Jack Anderson

For dancers familiar with modern dance:
My Life by Isadora Duncan
Terpsicore in Sneakers: Post-Modern Dance by Sally Banes
No Fixed Points by Nancy Reynolds
Time and the Dancing Image by Deborah Jowitt
The Modern Dance: Seven Statements of Belief by Selma Jeanne Cohen
Jose Limon: An Unfinished Memoir by Jose Limon

Books on Specific Techniques
The Nikolais/Louis Technique by Alwin Nikolais and Murray Lewis
The Erik Hawkins Modern Dance Technique by Renata Celichowska
By dnc4life1 Comments: 20, member since Sun Nov 06, 2005
On Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:30 PM
I think of modern dance in relation to modern art. It is and can be anything and everything. The boundaries are limitless. There are many different types of modern dance also, including release technique-movement that is inititated from any part of the body, horton technique-movement that deals with angles, laterals, and ALOT of flat backs, cunningham technique-movement that explores the idea of "fall and release" (similar to release in the sense that the body can/will explore ways to move in and out the ground gracifully) and many more. The interesting (and refreshing) thing about modern is that there is no real definition! No one can say something is or isn't modern dance. It is an opinion-based dance form.
On Mon Nov 14, 2005 07:36 AM
dnc4life,

You're right, but as it relates to the history of modern dance, well, there's pretty much one definition. That's where I'm banging my head against the wall in the responses.

bg
By bruserbabe Comments: 124, member since Fri Sep 09, 2005
On Sun Nov 20, 2005 06:01 PM
Thanks so much for this article! I've been wondering not only what modern dancing is but also what our high-school dance company's style is. But the truth is, I'm still not 100% positive what it is. I know that it's not ballet or tap, because they don't wear any shoes. My guess would be lyrical or modern. Thanks again!
Modern
By DANCEQ1 Comments: 3, member since Sun Nov 20, 2005
On Tue Nov 22, 2005 06:57 PM
well it isn't just moving your body and emotion.... it is sort of like lyrical also......it has a mix of ballet. What does this have to do with hip hop?
By TwinkleToes20 Comments: 15, member since Mon Nov 28, 2005
On Mon Nov 28, 2005 02:16 AM
Great article! So good to know that there are actually people that know what modern dancing is! Thanx! ;)
Thank You!
By dancindiva1980 Comments: 6, member since Fri Nov 11, 2005
On Mon Nov 28, 2005 02:03 PM
Thanks for your article on Modern Dance. I get asked that same questions all the time, and it is very hard to answer without giving a small lecture or leading a discussion about it. Thanks for clearing up that Modern is more than "free flowing movement" and about self expression! Thanks Again!
By nodoubt_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1510, member since Thu May 13, 2004
On Mon Nov 28, 2005 05:33 PM
Thanks for posting this! I'm majoring in dance and I'm just about to start modern for the first time. I've only done two modern workshops and I had a hard time with the movements. They were just so strange.
MODERN IS NOTHING WITHOUT BALLET
By jaxdok Comments: 63, member since Tue Dec 20, 2005
On Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:44 PM
Removed by imadanseur (79325) on 2006-01-05 08:06:33 Please do not post in all capital letters, it is considered shouting.
IF YOU CANNOT DANCE BALLET YOU WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO DANCE MODERN SO DONT EVEN TRY IT UNLESS YOU TAKE BALLET SOMEWHERE ELSE. TRUST ME!!!!
re: MODERN IS NOTHING WITHOUT BALLET
By barefootgracemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2827, member since Fri Oct 22, 2004
On Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:53 AM
Edited by barefootgrace (110403) on 2006-01-05 00:59:45 clarification can be a weakness of mine...
Edited by barefootgrace (110403) on 2006-01-05 01:00:52
Alright, i'll bite, jaxdok.

i'll tell you just one thing: i began ballet at the age of 5, i'm now 29. i had to completely relearn how to move for Modern dance (at 18 years old); i still have to pay attention to how i hold my back because i can be a little stiff.

Ballet and modern can be completely different types of movement. Modern does not fall into just one single movement category. i'd suggest a little research before making a blanket statement like this one.

~bfg
Page:
Page 6 of 101 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

ReplySendWatch