Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Competitions

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Jazz - Competitions
Want to do something professional? Then be professional!! Attitude Counts! (karma: 16)
By danzfanatik Comments: 1311, member since Fri Jan 03, 2003
On Tue Jan 27, 2004 02:24 PM
Made sticky by MIClogger (28613) on 2004-02-05 17:07:51 Member Request - Good Job!

Does it frustrate anyone else to have a member of their competition team not willing to give it their all? I say- if you are going to do something professional,like be on a competition team, then you better act like a professional!!
Ever wonder why certain dancers get picked for special parts and certain dancers don't? It's simple- not only have they worked hard to achieve that goal through technique classes and whatever, but they have the right ATTITUDE. That's right, attitude counts. Sure we all have our down days but come on, how can we be that negative when we're doing what we love?
There is nothing worse than a dancer who auditions for something for the wrong reasons. Ask yourself why you want to be on the team. DO NOT audition just so you can prove a point to someone, so you can show off in front of a crowd, so you can wear the jacket and brag about the name that you have but don't honor. You should be auditioning because you love to dance, you want to improve your skills, you want to work with other friends in a team like environment and you care about what you do.
The first thing I watch for when I go to judge an audition is who has the right attitude. I don't care if they have perfect turnout, can do ten pirouettes, or lift their leg higher than the ceiling. None of that matters if they come in acting all snotty and too good for everyone.
When you audition to be on a competition team, you're auditioning to be on a TEAM. Yes, it's a team, not just you, front and center all the time. When I judge auditions I chose dancers that work well together, that seem to be in sync and aware of the other dancers around them and act like 'team members' even outside of dancing-that is- do they have good sportsmanship?
I watch them as they stretch and warmup. Do they really stretch? or do they just lazily go through a couple drills and call it good. Do they pay attention to instructions given or do they whisper and laugh with their neighbors? Did they wear appropriate clothing? Nothing weighs more negatively on a dancer when they come in looking sloppy. Did they not care enough about the audition to take the time to securely fasten their hair back or wear tights and pants with no holes?
What you do during the practice part of the auditions also counts. Do you ask for help, go through the combination by yourself, stretch your muscles a little more? Or do you use that time to answer your cell phone, talk loudly to friends, or just plain stand around? The things you do during the practice time they give you reflect on what you will really do in class if you make the team, and the judges know it. Believe me, they don't take a break just because you do. What kind of impression do you want to make? I would hope you'd like to show the instructors that you value their tips and hints, that you feel what you are doing is important and that you are willing to work hard and most importantly, that you love and respect your talent.
So now that you've done that and you've made the team- what's next? It doesn't stop there. Competition team is a committment. It seems that not too many people know what committment means these days. It means sticking with something even when it gets rough, toughing through all the hard times so you can come out on top, and never giving up. Your team is counting on you. Everything you do reflects on the rest of the members of the team. Gossip goes a long way. If you do something inappropriate, suddenly it's the whole team that did it.
Be respectful of your fellow team members. They are here for the same reason you are- they love to dance! When you make a team you not only take on the name of your school, studio, etc, but you take on the reputations of everyone else in that group. Having respect for yourself also goes a long way.
Team ettiquette is so important, especially during practices. When your instructor pairs you up and asks you to give your partner some tips, please give them constructive criticism and also listen to their constructive criticism and take it to heart. Focus on their positives as well as their struggles. Offer suggestions and make sure you let them know they are a valuable member of the team. Learn how to learn better. Do not stick up your nose and say 'what does she know? I do better leaps than her'. Take it in stride and even if you don't agree with what she says don't be a brat about it.
Also, now that you're a team you better start acting like one. So Suzie made the team, 'oh great' you say, you've disliked her since sixth grade. Well, guess what, that's just too bad. Make everyone on the team your really good friend. You never know, Suzie might not be half bad. Never single anyone out and make sure you always let newbies feel welcome. It can be very frightening at first. Remember, this isn't a one man show. Most importantly, learn how to work together, improve together and have fun together. Use this opportunity to gain those buddies who 'really' understand dance. They're so hard to find, aren't they?
Last but not least, show your advisor, instructor, etc, that you love being their student. Nothing is more rewarding then a student who works hard and loves what they do. Show your teacher that you feel all their words are important. Listen to what they have to say and never talk back. Come to practice prepared and ready to work. Use the most of your time. You'll really see it pay off.
Being on a team can be frustrating at times but it can also be a lot of fun if you know how to make the most of it. So be professional and have fun. You'll miss your team once you're on your own again.

Hope these tips help!
Hugs! Danzfanatik

46 Replies to Want to do something professional? Then be professional!! Attitude Counts!

re: Want to do something professional? Then be professional!! Attitude Counts!
By CenterStage5 Comments: 398, member since Sun Aug 04, 2002
On Tue Jan 27, 2004 03:41 PM
WOW... karma for you!!!! that was sooo true, i hate it when students think just because they made the team doesnt mean they have to try anymore or dont put their heart into the dances. thank you soo much for that post and your hard work on writing it!!
By DancinStarGrl810 Comments: 359, member since Sat Sep 13, 2003
On Wed Jan 28, 2004 08:55 PM
WOW!! That is awesome!!! I totally agree with every word that you wrote in there. I joined a dance team this past summer and it is hard to be on a team at times, but when one is down the rest is down too. We've learned to work together, and share our passion for dance! We make it a point to try to get together on weekends as a team out of dance to try and get to know each and everyone a little better, and be sure not to leave anyone out! I feel exactly the same way you do about teams. Good job i love it!
By thedancinmuffin Comments: 60, member since Sat Jan 03, 2004
On Fri Jan 30, 2004 08:30 PM
OMG I completely agree! I'm on a dance team with a bunch of really fun, talented girls, but they don't seem to enjoy all of the rehearsals and classes like I do. It saddens me that they lack commitment and basically don't care about there team. I think it's important to keep up your technique while your on the team. Don't settle with yourself just because you were good enough to make it! It's disrespectful to your teammates not to show up to technique classes regularly because your worsening technique will worsen the whole group. Attituse is EVERYTHING! This was such a great post! Thanks!
By crazy_diamond Comments: 93, member since Sun Nov 16, 2003
On Sat Jan 31, 2004 06:46 PM
Couldn't have been said ANY better! Attitude and energy are what make the performance! And if someone doesn't have the attitude or doesn't give everything they have, then it's simply not as good. (I hear the karma train a-coming....CHOO CHOO!)
heehee

'Lena
By simran99 Comments: 7, member since Tue Feb 03, 2004
On Tue Feb 03, 2004 05:58 AM
hey!!thanx man!!that was reaal motivating!!lets hope 4 more of such useful, +ve stuff that gets us goin!!do keep in touch!!luv:simran!!
By danceteamer247 Comments: 612, member since Sun Aug 10, 2003
On Tue Feb 03, 2004 02:14 PM
Karma for you! I know i hate it when people think its not important and let the team done...! Great post!

*Danceteamer247
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Thu Feb 05, 2004 05:06 PM
*bounce*
By dancingrl247 Comments: 2989, member since Fri Sep 26, 2003
On Fri Feb 06, 2004 08:20 PM
wow thats a great post- it makes me think about my team so much more now! thanks for the insight it will definitly help me in the future!
By bedaZzlemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1733, member since Sun Nov 12, 2000
On Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:41 PM
Hey, thanks so much for this post! I makes me mad when, for example, the older girls in dance fuss or fight with the younger girls - we should be helping them LOVE dance and setting a good example. Oh and American Idol drives me crazy too.. when people are auditioning and they get mad when they are turned away - you're definately not going to get anything if you get an attitude. :) Anyways, I rated you up for a job well done.
~Stacey
By LeighsDancer Comments: 22, member since Thu Aug 07, 2003
On Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:09 PM
yeah we deifintely have girls like that at my studio. i wish they could read this! lol.
*Holly*
By liljazzdancer7 Comments: 20, member since Thu Feb 12, 2004
On Mon Feb 23, 2004 07:42 PM
I know what you mean!
*~*Deanna*~*
By srhnoz Comments: 21, member since Mon Feb 09, 2004
On Thu Mar 11, 2004 01:35 AM
i couldnt agree more everything you all have said is completely true and helpful!

Comment #1782479 deleted

Comment #1782482 deleted
Removed by imadanseur (79325) on 2009-03-21 09:52:23 pointless post

Comment #1782485 deleted

Comment #1782491 deleted

Comment #1782496 deleted

By DancingFool5678 Comments: 751, member since Sun May 02, 2004
On Mon May 03, 2004 12:40 PM
WOW! Great post! Continue to post great articuls like these!
By nikla Comments: 1, member since Tue May 18, 2004
On Tue May 18, 2004 06:28 AM
wow, that really opened my eyes to alot, i totally agree, that was written really well.
By DaNcEaRaMa Comments: 61, member since Sat May 22, 2004
On Sat May 22, 2004 10:53 PM
thatsa great help!! thanx :D
By CDS_dancer89 Comments: 315, member since Mon Dec 22, 2003
On Sun May 23, 2004 06:50 PM
AMEN TO THAT!!!!! You so know what i'm talking bout!!!!!!!
Want to do something professional? Then be professional!! Attitude Counts!
By moabcricketmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 845, member since Tue May 04, 2004
On Mon May 31, 2004 03:18 PM
Excellent!

We have a group of girls who think that it is a social thing. They don't necessarily go after the weaker dancers - they attack the stronger ones - the ones that can out dance them, hoping they will leave the studio. Well, that never happens, it is usually the reverse.

Just because a dancer is older doesn't mean they are better! We have to split teams in order to keep the age thing from becoming a problem. We have a strong team, and a weak team.

The old saying goes "you are only as good as your weaker dancer" it's true.

Sometimes its the mom's fault. My kid, my kid, blah, lah, ah. As the dancers get older, this isn't as big a problem (at least where we are at today - thank God). The newbie mom's have been on average more of a problem (I used to be one - I was terrible). :(

If you got a problem with the director, or instructor, deal with it now. If the girls have a problem with each other - stand back and let them deal with it first. We have high school team leaders, and we allow our team leaders to help the girls deal with problems when they can. It works better that way. If it gets ulgy then we ask the instructor or director to deal with the problem. NEVER talk to a girl in front of others. Please take them aside, and not Embarrass them and/or yourself in front of the team. Private squabbles should remain just that "private".

In the end, kids will be kids, and adults should act like adults. (I was so bad, it was 14 years ago - I think they have forgiven me now).

Team Mom
geocities.com . . .
By sHaKeYobOOtaY Comments: 39, member since Wed May 26, 2004
On Tue Jun 01, 2004 09:25 PM
Thanx soOoO much for that post! it is so true sometimes! also, those kinds of people usually think that they are the best, better than everyone else, and should get the best parts! it's so frustrating because you can tell they really don't love what they're doing. those are the one's that just bring the team down and cause problems. they expect to be the best when they don't even work for it!! anyways, thanks alot for this post!
-*holly*-
By Orangesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4291, member since Wed Jun 23, 2004
On Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:45 AM
You are so true. Im on a team now and people dont show up half the time and expect to be let to compete since they made the team.
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch