Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Competitions

Page:
Page 2 of 21 2
re: Want to do something professional? Then be professional!! Attitude Counts!
By dancers10111 Comments: 76, member since Wed Jun 23, 2004
On Thu Jun 24, 2004 04:45 PM
your right.
My dance teacher keeps saying that i need to find a persanality
And thats it then ill be really good. We have a senoir team. witch isd really good. and theres some one on there that is going to 8th grade. im going to 7th. So if i work hard maybe ill get there when i get older. I would really wanna talk about dance. someone pm me!

Brooke

**dance your heart out**
By qtdancer139member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 902, member since Thu Jun 10, 2004
On Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:12 AM
You're so right! I wish more girls on the competition team that I'm on would realize how much of a committment competition is. Everyone is so talented, but everyone being there when a practice is called is important. It was horrible, we had a girl missing practice until the day of competition, we practiced in the dressing room. And yes, her excuse was that she was sick, but she wasn't one bit sick, I can tell by her attitude that she believes she is too good to be dancing in our group, but our teacher always tells us, "The More you dance, the better you get." So miss class doesn't help her. Thank you for sharing your post.
professionalism
By ltd4ever Comments: 77, member since Wed May 19, 2004
On Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:20 AM
The worst thing at competitions ( or recitals) is while dancers are onstage,other dancers ( and parents, and teachers) are talking really loud.
By Danceprincess01 Comments: 860, member since Wed Sep 03, 2003
On Wed Jul 21, 2004 02:39 AM
The sticky is so right, def a karma from me to you!!! I have to vent on that for a second. Attitude and being Professional is a must and it's good practice for when you get older and you want to be a professional dancer or a professional anything.
Especially if you want to teach. Here's my venting, Attitude, Professionalism and overal courtesy and act like you know what your doing. I had someone apply today for a choreographer position.
First off they spelled choreographer wrong, and then spelled and wrote their interest letter in slang .This will not get you a dance job, as a professional dancer, or a professional dance teacher job or any job for that matter.
So treat everything as though you want to be on that level as a professional and they will see what you are all about.
Ok venting done!
By jazz_princess Comments: 555, member since Mon Jul 19, 2004
On Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:41 AM
u are so right.

Nicole~Keep on dancin'~
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:45 PM
Great post thanks
By bizz Comments: 32, member since Fri Jun 25, 2004
On Fri Jul 23, 2004 01:45 PM
yeh i totally agree
By RDSSPomDancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 353, member since Tue Jul 20, 2004
On Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:31 PM
That was awesome! Yeah girls at my studio are probably in it for a popularity thing, but I am in it because I LOVE dance. I always make my teacher feel good by listening and asking questions.

Comment #2119992 deleted

By LiLdAnCeNcHiCkA6 Comments: 106, member since Sun Jul 11, 2004
On Sat Jul 24, 2004 08:29 PM
Edited by LiLdAnCeNcHiCkA6 (99408) on 2004-07-24 20:32:03
Edited by LiLdAnCeNcHiCkA6 (99408) on 2004-07-24 20:32:45
I couldn't have said it any better myself.:D
By JD69member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 219, member since Fri Jul 23, 2004
On Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:52 PM
I hate it when students think that they are the bomb just because they made a certain team. They are expecting it and always do best at auditions but then lazy when it comes to class and rehersals. It annoys me so much. One year, a girl that I used to direct though that she wa the **** and made it onto our senior company but then her attitude changed and so we kicked her off. She went physco almost. She threatened to sue but we wern't scared because we did nothing wrong. Students don't understand that attitude plays a big part in dance. At the end of our company show every year we always pick out of every company the person who we thought gave it there all, all year long and who never talked back or had a bad attitude owards everything. This shows the other students that if you try hard enough, your work will pay off!
By lildancerchik09 Comments: 30, member since Tue Jul 20, 2004
On Tue Jul 27, 2004 09:46 PM
that is soo true...last year there was a girl on my dance team that danced really well in class but at our games (we dance at half time of our schools basketball games) she wouldnt even try and looked like the worst girl on the team!

*dont live to dance...dance to live*
**lildancerchick**
By lildancerchik09 Comments: 30, member since Tue Jul 20, 2004
On Tue Jul 27, 2004 09:51 PM
attitude is a very big part of dancing! that is very true! this year during tryouts for our dance team the person chosen captain was supposed to be the person that scored the highest during tryouts....well we all knew who the best dancer was and she and everybody else were sure that she was goin to be captain if it was just based on score..but now i am captain which my sponsor later told me was because i was also a good dancer and i came to every practice and performance last year and was very dedicated to the team unlike the other girl! :D (sorry its soo long)

*lildancerchick*
By weeze Comments: 41, member since Sun Jul 25, 2004
On Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:38 PM
exelent post!!!!!!!
By never_katiemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 803, member since Tue Aug 26, 2008
On Sun Feb 08, 2009 06:16 PM
This is such a great message to get across. Good for you!!
By HeyRedPremium member Comments: 1567, member since Wed Jul 02, 2003
On Sat Mar 21, 2009 09:57 AM
I think this is one of the biggest problems at my studio, honestly.

We're a very small school, but nearly every single student there does not understand the concept of humility, teamwork, support, hard work or privilege.

Every time we go to a competition, 95% of the students think they are "entitled" to win, regardless of whether their routines and performance deserve the win or not. And what's worse, if they DO win, they gloat and brag and act as if they know they're hot sh*t, or bitch that the top winner shouldn't have won.

Three examples I can think of:
1 - A girl won second for her one solo. She came back after accepting her award, set it on the ground, and then looked miserable. When asked, "Aren't you happy," she just shrugged her shoulders and didn't even look at me.
2 - A group won third place for their hip hop routine. Instead of being ecstatic, they complained. "We should have gotten second or first. That group shouldn't have gotten it. We were gypped!."
3 - A girl took her one solo to competition for the first time, and she came in 7th out of about 20. For her first time down, that was an aweseome feat. When said to her, "Hey! You came in 7th! That's awesome!" She replied with, "Yeah I know," with attitude, and then walked away.

UGH!

And then god forbid they have to compete against one another, and one places higher than the other. It causes world war 3! And it's worse among the older students. One girl continuously received higher scores than the other girl from her studio. Then during one of her last routines, she dropped her prop halfway through. As she was exiting the floor and collecting her props, she threw a hissy fit! And then during the other girl's last performance, she stood in front of the video camera to block the recording process. Talk about childish!

This same girl also threw a hissy fit in regard to the other student at another competition that same year. She was crying, hyperventilating, throwing things, left the competition early, yelled at the studio owner, started rumors, and caused other problems.

Oh, did I mention this girl was in her 20s??

Yeah. If it would have been up to me, she would have been given a warning, and if acted inappropriately again, kicked out of the studio.

That is SUCH a bad example to give for younger students!
By irene40000 Comments: 109, member since Wed May 30, 2007
On Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:42 PM
amen!
By SaraDancer4Ev Comments: 25, member since Mon Nov 15, 2010
On Tue Nov 30, 2010 05:06 PM
Wow! This really put up my spirits about some dancers in my class
By pointeprincessSDmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 515, member since Wed Jun 23, 2010
On Thu Mar 31, 2011 08:11 PM
Amen to that!! Wish I could show some people at the studio this - they'd definitely rethink their current dancing habits!!! Thank you so much!
By dancingkatiee Comments: 21, member since Mon May 21, 2012
On Sun May 27, 2012 02:08 PM
Great post! When I was on a competitive team, there was this one girl who had the WORST attitude I had ever seen! She was always disrespectful to other dancers, yet put on an act for the teachers so she would get chosen for special parts - including a job at the studio! It took a few years for her to be called out, but eventually the teachers found out about what was happening and she lost her job, but was still able to dance there.
By camymac_dancer Comments: 96, member since Sun Jul 01, 2012
On Sat Jul 21, 2012 04:11 PM
One word: AMEN!!!
By Iseeyourpointe Comments: 11, member since Mon Feb 18, 2013
On Mon Feb 18, 2013 06:10 PM
Thank God someone has finally put this up. At our studio, it is a standing rule that all dancers must arrive two hours early to competitions, no matter how far away they are. I'm always the first one there and it is so annoying! Sometimes members will casually walk in less than an hour before we are scheduled to perform! Sometimes, their hair and make up won't be done, or they won't have their costume on! It's a huge inconvenience to the dancers who actually take competitions seriously, and want to do well.
Page:
Page 2 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch