Poll: Highland / Highland - National

Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3
What is the most physically demanding national dance?
By dance_deva Comments: 4347, member since Mon Apr 14, 2003
On Sun Feb 01, 2004 05:08 AM

Just wanting peoples opinions, I think the hardest are the Earl of Errol because of the strength needed in the thighs, and also the hornpipe because of the high cuts at the end!

52 Replies to What is the most physically demanding national dance?

re: What is the most physically demanding national dance?
By KAZZAmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 356, member since Thu Jul 10, 2003
On Sun Feb 01, 2004 06:45 AM
I think the Earl of Errol is the national dance that is the most physiaclly demanding!
By highlandchic Comments: 2130, member since Sun Oct 05, 2003
On Sun Feb 01, 2004 04:54 PM
I'd have to say hornpipe because I put sooooo mucb into it, there's bending and movements and highcuts. In the earl it's all hold your dress out and intricate footwork, but it is demanding definately to stay on time and get the footwork right!
Cool thread though. If you broke it down to jig/hornpipe, kilt nationals, aboyne nationals, I'd say flora, lots of hopping and turning LOL
On Mon Feb 02, 2004 02:35 AM
hehe thanks highlandchic! I know the flora is sort of demanding...with that turning last step...!!
By GonnaBeAStar Comments: 3928, member since Wed Feb 20, 2002
On Mon Feb 02, 2004 07:43 AM
Hard question....
Difficult to choose between the two already mentioned, Earl and Hornpipe..
I also think the two kilt dances, Barracks and Laddie are quite demanding, cos they're so like highland.
Good post! :)
By Scotdanzer Comments: 145, member since Tue Aug 12, 2003
On Mon Feb 02, 2004 09:50 AM
I think that the Flora is the most demanding because I hate it. It probably wouldn't be so bad if I didn't despise the dance. Other than that, I think the Hornpipe is right up there followed closley by the kilted nationals. Village Maid is the easiest I think.
Good Post.
On Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:52 PM
Hmmmm...earl of errol and hornpipe seem to be the hardest!! Glad I amn't the only one who finds them hard lol!!
By beat_n_mi_feet87 Comments: 1970, member since Tue Jun 10, 2003
On Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:42 AM
I think the Barracks is! Those turns at the end kill me without my "magic piper" he plays the last step faster so it's not as hard! LoL!!! but the hornpipe is pretty hard too with all the intricate movements and i see how the earl of erroll could be viewed that way too... but i like that dance most so i don't find it very demanding! LoL!

happy dancing!
:)
Kammey
By CdnDancer Comments: 197, member since Mon Dec 29, 2003
On Fri Feb 20, 2004 08:01 AM
The Earl of Earol gets my vote, although Flora is a very close second!
By highland Comments: 21, member since Sat Feb 21, 2004
On Sat Feb 21, 2004 11:17 PM
I can only remember doing 3 major dances when i did it 8 years ago. I thought the sword dance was the hardest but i only had 3 dances to choose from. I dont even know what the sword dance is called these days, is it still the same?
By SeniorLadyPremium member Comments: 8103, member since Sun Aug 24, 2003
On Sun Feb 22, 2004 09:34 AM
I only know 3 of the abovementioned dances, and I think the Flora is most demanding - but jig is definitely the most annoying. =)
By Hullachan Comments: 157, member since Sat Mar 13, 2004
On Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:00 AM
i think that depending on the steps you choose, the hornpipe can be quite a toughie, but that an earl really takes a lot out of me - even so, it's one of my most-loved dances (boring arms and all).
By dancer19882 Comments: 107, member since Sun Apr 25, 2004
On Fri May 14, 2004 11:17 AM
i think the last step of flora is hard with the half turns! but also the hornpipe because u have the highcuts at the end and u have put soo much effort in2 the dance u cant let it go at the end
By villagemaid Comments: 43, member since Mon Mar 29, 2004
On Sun May 16, 2004 07:21 PM
For me, it's the Scotch Measure. It's really hard to show a correct 2nd aerial, after the plie and before the, 'hop behind step to 2nd'. And there's hundreds of them! (Well it feels like hundreds).
By GonnaBeAStar Comments: 3928, member since Wed Feb 20, 2002
On Mon May 17, 2004 07:46 AM
In Scotch Measure I have serious problems remembering the bourees are behind side front. I just always want to put them in behind, lol!
You can't really blame me, after all, EVERY other bouree is behind side behind, so why would they change it just for this one dance?!
Answer - to confuse poor people like me, lol!! :)
By fudgie_84 Comments: 229, member since Wed Apr 28, 2004
On Tue May 18, 2004 01:49 AM
I think the earl of errol and the flora because they are the ones that kill my thighs the most..

Alicia..
By dancergirl10member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1418, member since Fri Dec 12, 2003
On Tue May 18, 2004 10:28 PM
The Scothc measure is RETARTED!!! I hate it sooo much.

Its hard to plie on demi-pointe i think and its too balletish.

Also, i think that Johnnie and laddie are pretty hard, they are more hgihland then national.
By lexi_k Comments: 270, member since Sat May 15, 2004
On Tue May 18, 2004 10:33 PM
I think hornpipe is pretty demanding, but I like it, it's fun.

The laddie is killer though, the shuffle turn gets me every time, and the turn step in the johnny is tough too. I don't think there's really any one dance that's more physically demanding than the others, I think that each dance has its own challenging elements.
By dance_04 Comments: 30, member since Tue May 25, 2004
On Sun May 30, 2004 01:49 PM
Earl of earl wow at the end of that dance BANG dead Hehe lol
luv yas
By highlanddncr Comments: 720, member since Mon Dec 22, 2003
On Sat Jun 26, 2004 03:06 PM
Physically demanding I think it is the flora. Most annoying- Scotch Measure..no more plie and turns!!!
By ScotchGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5324, member since Fri Jan 24, 2003
On Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:47 AM
Flora E of E and Laddie
By dancer23883 Comments: 90, member since Fri Jun 11, 2004
On Tue Jul 06, 2004 08:48 AM
Got to be Earl of Errol - just trying so hard to keep feet pointed and yet to keep the extensions all to the correct height etc (though i do sometimes wonder why i bother as it seems that most judges don't pay attention anyway if your at low/normal or somewhere up round your backside!!)
Don't see H/P as a problem, its always been my fave as its always last and can put in LOADS of effort to the highcuts and not worry about having to dance again afterwards! ;)
What is the most physically demanding national dance?
By highland_cutie01 Comments: 50, member since Sat Feb 22, 2003
On Thu Jul 08, 2004 08:54 PM
I would have to the Barracks Johnnie is the most physically demanding national dance due to the fact that is mostly calf work and requires a lot of elevation that most dancers do not have plus it requires the most accurate foot work since it can be picked apart really easily !!!
By ColleenMacIsaac Comments: 26, member since Mon Jul 19, 2004
On Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:56 PM
I know this sounds kind of bad, but I hate the Flora with a passion. When I get off stage after dancing it my feet and toes hurt so bad it hurt to walk. Thank God it is usually my last dance.
By Highlandlizmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1510, member since Sat May 22, 2004
On Sun Aug 15, 2004 09:54 AM
I love the look of Barracks Johnnie, but it takes all the enregy out of me. I especially hate the last step on the six step one because by then my legs are ready to fall off and then I have to keep turning, and by then I am probably doing some mega travelling
Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch