Forum: Gym / Gymnastics

tips for beginners - for vaulting, balance beam, uneven parallel bars, and floor exercise (karma: 1)
By punk_ballerina07member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:11 PM
Made sticky by MIClogger (28613) on 2004-02-11 12:33:37 Member Request. Good Job!

The sport of gymnastics is divided into men's and women's events. Female gymnasts compete on the vault, balance beam, uneven parallel bars, and floor exercise. Here are some gymnastics training tips for beginners - for vaulting, balance beam, uneven parallel bars, and floor exercise.

The vaulting event, where gymnasts are allowed to perform only one vault, requires speed, quickness, and strength. Among many gymnastics training tips for the vault, the basic one is that the most important factor in doing a good vault is the run. All the strength for the vault comes from a fast and direct run. While the most obvious training is to do sprints, there are also some other gymnastics drills to improve your run and strengthen your legs, such as deer run, march, and running while lifting your heels as much as possible. In deer runs you should lift your front knee and push off your back leg and get forward momentum as much as possible, but low and rather long. Marches are short and quick runs, while lifting your knees as high as possible.

Uneven parallel bars combines the gymnast's strength and agility as the gymnast must maintain a flowing and consistent rhythm. Uneven parallel bars routine must include a minimum of 8 gymnastics skills, including a mount, two release moves, a directional change and a dismount. This is one of those gymnastics skills that take a lot of practice to get, and you must develop the necessary strength. Gymnastics training tips for uneven parallel bars include advises and gymnastics drills to work on your triceps, as your strength depends mostly on the strength in them. Doing push-ups and pull-ups to strengthen your triceps, can be combined with jump up gymnastics drills on low uneven parallel bars, repeatedly in sets of 10 or 15.

Performing on the gymnastic balance beams requires precise movement and intense concentration. A balance beam routine should be between 70 and 90 seconds and include gymnastics tumbling series, a leap series, a combined gymnastics tumbling and a leap series, a mount and a dismount. The basic among gymnastic tips for performing on the gymnastic balance beams is that everything should be practiced on the floor and low beginner balance beams before trying it on the high beam for the first time. Another important tip is to be square with gymnastic balance beams. Your hips and shoulders should be square, and keep your arms and legs in a straight line with the beam. For balancing gymnastics skills, such as scales or other difficult poses to hold on the beam, the focus should be on a spot on the beam. For scales, don't focus straight down at a spot near your foot but at a spot at least 2 feet in front of you.

Floor exercise combines gymnastics tumbling, dance and acrobatics in a movement interpretation of music. Floor routines must contain two tumbling passes (one with two flips), a series of three leaps and a series with gymnastics tumbling and leaps all choreographed to music. Gymnastic tips for the floor exercise are similar to tips for the vault, as the most of your power comes from fast run. The key to good gymnastics tumbling is a fast and solid handspring (flip-flop). The hurdle should be low and long to keep the momentum going forward, and not up and down. The momentum from the roundoff should be enough to flip you into the flip-flop. When trying these techniques for the first time you should be careful and there should be a spotter nearby in case you generate more power than needed. And remember that a good gymnastics drill for this is doing roundoffs on a crash mat.

20 Replies to tips for beginners - for vaulting, balance beam, uneven parallel bars, and floor exercise

re: tips for beginners - for vaulting, balance beam, uneven parallel bars, and floor exe
On Tue Feb 03, 2004 08:59 PM
no one likes?? lol

~!~love always~!~
Karen Beth Downs
re: tips for beginners - for vaulting, balance beam, uneven parallel bars, and floor exe
By DancerNerd
On Tue Feb 03, 2004 09:23 PM
oh trust me, those are amazing tips. wait a few days tho, the gymnastics board doesnt get as much traffic as others. (i have the same problem on the colorguard board)
On Wed Feb 04, 2004 08:25 AM
Edited by punk_ballerina07 (75735) on 2004-02-04 08:27:41 just added the sticky idea
hey can a mod. make this a sticky?? thanks for your reply and i hope you have a good day

~!~love always~!~
Karen Beth Downs
By GymnasticsFreak
On Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:14 PM
Good tips! Although my floor routine only has two leaps. But I'm sort of in the process of choreographing a new one, and its awesome!
On Mon Feb 16, 2004 09:36 PM
THANK YOU!!!!

~!~love always~!~
Karen Beth Downs
By Smurf83
On Sun Feb 22, 2004 02:40 PM
another thing they should mention (although it doesnt take a genious to figure out) FALLING HURTS and so does missing the mats lol
By Loki85member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Feb 28, 2004 07:40 AM
Wow that was really informative! Thanks for taking the time to type this all up :)
On Tue Mar 09, 2004 05:16 PM
thank you!!
By BallerinaBabe_member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:15 PM
great post, dont worry, were not ignoring you, its just slow sometimes...
By brooklyn_04
On Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:53 AM
This is awesome info. I showed it 2 my friend and it totally helped her out!
By dancinmann
On Wed Apr 07, 2004 04:34 PM
nice!
On Mon Apr 26, 2004 09:00 AM
oh good lol im glad it help your friend!!

~pb7~
By jruhl
On Thu Apr 29, 2004 05:18 PM
I really want to get into choreographing floor and beam routines. Do you know how to do that? Do you need a coaching certification of any kind? I have danced my entire life, did gymnastics for a few years competitively and also springboard diving. I would also love to work with teams working on dance quaulity in their routines. Possibly teaching a ballet barre or something. But, yet again, I don't know how to get about getting into it, any help?
On Sun May 09, 2004 04:38 PM
the only help i could come up with is search on google.com or something or just ask around, people you know. or go to some sites and get e-mail addresses and maybe ask them for some tips if i find anything i will deffanitly[sp?] let you know!!

~pb7~
re: tips for beginners - for vaulting, balance beam, uneven parallel bars, and floor exercise
By blondedancer123
On Sat Oct 20, 2007 01:24 AM
lol ok then why is it that only girls do beam??
re: tips for beginners - for vaulting, balance beam, uneven parallel bars, and floor exercise
By RileyA
On Tue Oct 23, 2007 06:41 AM
If you want to get into routine coreography the first step would be to take a judges course for gymnastics. Coreographing floor and beam routines is a lot more complicated than just a great looking routine. It is important to fully understand the judging requirements for each level in order to learn how to maximise the gymnasts scores. Many dance steps should not be used as they are infact classified as skills and will recieve deductions as if they were skills. If you understand how to judge it will make a big difference.

It's also a good idea to judge a few comps once you have taken the course. It will give you a better feel for the scoring and then you can advertise yourself as someone with judging experience. Gyms will be much more likley to hire you because they want the input of a judge.
By CRDCdancePremium member
On Tue Aug 19, 2008 07:00 AM
Wow,,,RileyA great info, thanks because Im thinking about the same thing, I was a dancer/gymnast, now coach and teach, so for me its right up my alley thanks so much!
By BBASPORTS
On Sun Nov 28, 2010 07:06 AM
I have to thank you for your time and information. Tooo many individuals are giving half of the information and a lot of our athletes are not properly informed about our beautiful sport. Good job and thank again.
By hipo1
On Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:16 AM
thank U,thank U,thank U,so much for that great tip. It was really usefull. I enjoyed it so much. tnx again :D
By Katherine1
On Mon Sep 14, 2020 03:50 AM
thanks for discussing this much information guys. I also love gymnastics and have to lose weight up to 10 kg. this post will help me.

ReplySendWatch