Forum: New Zealand / New Zealand - General

Page:
Page 2 of 2: 1 2
re: Where and what dance school does everyone go to?
By Dancer90member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jan 04, 2005 05:44 AM
Does anyone here dance in Chch?? I live in australia now but i used to live there i went to patricia pauls school of dance. Thats the school that marysa dalton (in the company) and sacha copland went to. Cass do you know jenna morris-williamson? shes at rnz school of dance. Congratulations on getting in the school is highly selective you must be an awesome dancer!
By Sparkz_NzPremium member
On Wed Jan 05, 2005 01:21 AM
Random, I know both those people. Is Sacha famous now? meh.

They are both lovely people.
By odetteodile
On Tue Jan 11, 2005 08:08 PM
phillapa campbell school of ballet!
By mellierose
On Wed Jan 12, 2005 01:12 AM
i went to ms campbells school for a while!!! wow...
By leezathebaleriza
On Fri Jan 14, 2005 05:04 AM
i go to levings school of dance in chch. its a small school but its wikd! i luv it there!
By Danceit
On Fri Feb 04, 2005 05:51 PM
Hi there is a studio in Wellington that teaches hip hop etc Liveitup Dance studios . . .check liveitup.co.nz
By nzballetchickmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Mar 05, 2005 03:20 AM
hey
im a deep southerner i go to the valmai robertson school of dance in otautau - near invercargill. I really really want to take my dancing far, hopefully i can go to the nz school of dance! - how do you audition for the company - any info you guys can share??
luv kris
xxoo
On Sat Mar 05, 2005 03:14 PM
Edited by Sparkz_Nz (29881) on 2005-03-05 15:03:36
Do you want to audition for a company or the school of dance??

I don't know how old you are, but have you been to any summer schools/ outside courses out of your dance school??

To get into the RNZ schoool of dance, you have to have finished year 11 (i think) and be of sufficient standard (have passed RAD advanced 1) and be over 15. Most people ae better off going after year 12(in my opinion), and if you take the contemporary stream, they tend to be older than that.

Auditions are held in Wellington every year in around september, but sometimes they have preliminary auditions in other centres (chch, auck) before this.

If you are younger than 16, they have a junior associates program for people aged 13-16. They have 4 intensive weekends for which they offer a partial scholarship to attend in wellington. So you go to 4 weekends a year on top of your normal dance classes. Entrance to that is also by audition.

They also offer school holiday seminars every year, and your teacher should be able to offer you information on this. Otherwise, you can get a brochure by writing to

Seminar 2005
New Zealand School of Dance
Te Whaea: National Dance and Drama Centre
PO Box 7146, Wellington South
New Zealand
Ph: +64 4 389 0996
Fax: +64 4 389 4996
Email: dance@nzschdance.org.nz

You can see all this info on the website

www.tewhaea.org.nz . . .

If you want to stay closer to home however, you might want to aim to get into the International Ballet Academy in Christchurch. Their website is here . I don't know anyone personally who has been there, so can't help you much, but a few of their graduates are in the NZBallet, and doing quite well. Their auditions are also in september each year.
By Angelmum
On Sat Mar 12, 2005 08:56 PM
Yay, I know someone who is their second year at IBA in CHCH.

She loves it, and it's really intense, very focussed, and suitable for those who wish to make a career in dance, particularly ballet.

Once she's finished, she tells me that she's going to London for her OE and who knows, some auditions for companies....
On Sat Mar 12, 2005 09:13 PM
yeah, I've heard really good things about IBA, but I'm sure as you are in Chch Angelmum, you would know more~!!

Did you go to tutus on tour? I think the contemporary piece, Verge(?) was originally created for IBA students.

It was a very nice piece, I loved it!
By Angelmum
On Sun Mar 13, 2005 04:33 AM
No...boohoo...my schedule was too busy.

I did go to IBA's Christmas show and that was great but I think I need to see a few more contemporary dances...some are very strange or very good if you know what the motivation behind it is...
I'm biting the bullet and going to see the Russian ballet version of "Swan Lake" - I only support RNZ except as in this case, there's a ballet on that I absolutely adore, and must see!

How's the job? and how's Hamilton, the outer suburb of Auckland?
LOL!!!
On Sun Mar 13, 2005 05:54 PM
Edited by Sparkz_Nz (29881) on 2005-03-13 17:42:27
hehe, some of my friends were like that, they didn't like the contemporary piece, they just said
"they rolled on the floor alot"

lol!

I think you have to remember its not a story, more an emotion being showed everytime, and let yourself FEEL the piece.

Verge was light and young and happy, I thought it was great!

Hamilton is... I'm getting used to it anyways. I love that I can walk to work, and its warm and sunny and the river is beautiful, and I can go for trips on the weekend to Tauranga and Auckland without any hassle.

I hate that I can't just pop down to a small theatre and see a show for $10, but hey I'm getting used to it, and trying to go to everything I can, so I have no reason to moan! Going to chicago on Fri... Musicals aren't usually my thing, but we'll see :)
Page:
Page 2 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch