Forum: Folk / African Dance

Stepping
By TumblinCutie
On Mon Feb 09, 2004 05:27 PM

Hey. I'm new to this board. Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Olivia. I'm 14 and I've been dancing since I was 3! I do mostly ballet, tumbling, and jazz, but i've studied a little hiphop and tap. Anyway. Heres my question. My friend, Brooke, just started taking this dance/competition team thing. The area is called "Step" and this stepping thing is pretty cool (in my opinion) ANyway, what exactly is it? I heard it was originally an African form of dance, that's why i'm asking here. ANy info would help lots.

Thanks a million.

Livia

1 Replies to Stepping

re: Stepping
By Reecie
On Thu Feb 19, 2004 04:31 PM
it's kind of hard to describe but i'll try anyways. you are right about the origins of step, but step is not dancing for starters, it's just what it's called-step. it's a series of clapping and stomping to form an ocean of rythmic beats and sometimes people do incorporate dancing but it's two totally diffirent things. it's mostly done by black frats and sororities but is becoming popular to the non-greek community. it's just one of those things that you have to see to get a full understanding. you can't really be trained in it because it has no set technique. it's mostly something that you feel within. a lot of people have taken step, and tryed to make it a uniformed something or another, but it can't be done cause then it just looks fake and generic. i can go on and on but i don't want to right now. i hope this info has helped you some, but if not, feel free to pm me. :D

ReplySendWatch