Forum: Highland / Highland - Hornpipe

What do you think are the hardest steps?
By highlandlassie
On Thu Feb 19, 2004 09:31 AM

I have to start this post by saying that I saw Colleen Rintamaki at a competition recently doing the Hornpipe, and I seriously think she did just about the toughest possible Hornpipe! (And did it very well, of course!) :) She used the break with shakes instead of shuffles in the introduction, as well as in another step (I think it was the last step). Then she did the forward crabwalk and the lowcutting steps. I think those two are the toughest steps there are! It's nice to see someone so skilled really challenging herself. What do you find are the most difficult steps? :)

22 Replies to What do you think are the hardest steps?

re: What do you think are the hardest steps?
By maureensiobhan
On Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:06 AM
Actually, highland lassie, I think the most difficult step is the pumping step. That step requires the most control and balance of all the steps. If you're going to do that step, I would recommend doing that as your third step, since the first and second steps must be done in that order. That way, you can get the pumping step out of the way. Another difficult step is the last step. It takes a lot of strength and stamina to get through twenty-six high cuts in a row, then finish with a leap.
By highlandlassie
On Thu Feb 19, 2004 01:07 PM
Maureensiobhan, I can see your point. The pumping step definately takes balance and stamina to be done well. But if you are just looking at complexity of steps, I still think that the forward crabwalk and lowcutting steps are the most difficult. I guess the best way I can think of to sum it up is, pumping and the last step are tough on your body, forward crabwalk and lowcutting are tough on your mind! :)
By GonnaBeAStar
On Fri Feb 20, 2004 07:37 AM
I personally think that low-cutting is the hardest, though there are quite a few difficult steps in the hornpipe. I actually don't find the crab walk very difficult, but I guess that just clicked in my head first time or something! ;)

In my opinion, the last step isn't difficult, as long as you have good stamina. Someone in Premier should have no problem dong the two sets of highcuts... we practice highcuts 100 at a time in class!! :)
By CdnDancer
On Fri Feb 20, 2004 07:57 AM
I think one of the most challenging steps is the cable haul..... that and pumping sure give the ol' thighs a workout!

I do the low cutting and forward crab as well. The footwork is challenging, but they are nowhere near as tough on the legs as cable haul!
By highland_QT29member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Mar 23, 2004 04:31 PM
Hey
Just a question for Maureensiobhan, do you really have to do the first step and shuffle over the bukle (i thnk thats the name lol) in those order? I only learned the shuffle over the bukle last year, and I have competed in the hornpipe before. Im just wondering!

I think the hardest step is the one where you go shuffle shuffle and then four kick thingys to the front. I can't remember the name of it! That one and probably ... Im not sure lol! Good post though, I like it!

Just a question for you Katie - When did you seen Colleen? I wish I was there lol. I never seen her do anything but highland dances! At the Detroit competition I was loolygaging around! So I missed her Jig :( Ooh well, maybe next time! lol

Chantelle
By CdnDancer
On Tue Mar 23, 2004 04:53 PM
Not to reply for someone else..... but since I'm doing my Member Nationals soon, these questions are good practice for me!

I'm going to say with 99% certainty you do not have to do the 2nd step (shuffle over the buckle) following the circle (1st) step. I do believe if you do chose that step it should follow the circle, but you do not have to do it. I haven't done shuffle over the buckle for years in either 4 or 6 step HP's, and I've done fine.

Just checked the HP book, and it only states the circle must be danced first, and highcuts (16th) last. Other than that, I would say it is up to preference.

And.... the shuffle kick thingy step is the 3rd--diagonal travel! (phew... glad to see the studying is starting to pay off!)
By HighlandTeacher
On Tue Mar 23, 2004 06:07 PM
You can change that to 100% certain Cdndancer! It's like the 2nd step of the Truibihas......you don't have to do the shake and travel step, but if you are going to do it, it should be after the first step.

Chantelle -- check out the hornpipe and jig competition at Alma this year. That's where I've seen her dance it before.
By highland_QT29member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Mar 23, 2004 06:40 PM
Hey
Ohh got it now! Thanks Cdndancer as well as HighlandTeacher! Kinda got me worried that I have been doing something wrong for the last ... while lol. Good job on the studying! I need to start doing that.

Ooh yeah! I forgot about the Alma competition! This year I was too worried about trying to get 6 steps in for the jig! Thats tough work lol!

Chantelle
By dancergirl10member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:13 PM
Hey Guys,

I think that Suffle over the buckle was hard forme when i was first learning it. But an older girl from my school helped me with it, and now im good at it. She helped me get this little Jump thingy in there and it looks really good.

Right now, were doing hornpipe cheorgraphy, and im hurting on forward crab and Diagional. The crab arms throw me off, And with my bad knee the 4 kicks start off good but end low.

I vote for forward crab and Diaongal travel..
my fav is gathering in!!

And i hate heel pull!
By dancer19882
On Fri May 14, 2004 11:10 AM
the low cutting is hard! but i reckon the pumping is harder as it takes more energy to do it and need a lot of balnce and practice
By fudgie_84
On Sat May 15, 2004 07:04 AM
I used to do pumping when i was little and i could do it pretty well but if i tried it now i'd wreck my knees.. I think it's only really hard when you get older lol... I think the hardest step would definately be low cutting..

Alicia..
By lexi_k
On Sun May 16, 2004 05:19 PM
dancergirl10, who was helping you on shuffle over the buckle? I personally don't think it's that hard; actually, I kind of like that step. Gathering in, however... my arms always look retarded, and my crabwalk needs some work, so I'd say that one's the hardest one I know. I don't know lowcutting yet... I like pumping though, I wish I was doing that one for hornpipe choreography.
On Sun May 16, 2004 09:28 PM
Alexis- Satcey helped me one time we were doing it and told me to jump right before the ball change chuffle, and i had it down for like 2 weeks then i started practicng jig more and i started sucking lol,
And i cant even do the diagonal 4 kicks now becuase of my messed up knee lol
By lexi_k
On Sun May 16, 2004 09:32 PM
jacinda-I missed the class where we learned that one... I wish I knew it! I need to learn so many hornpipe steps... Seriously, all these ones that people are talking about, I don't know.
On Tue May 18, 2004 07:30 PM
hey Aleixs

its okay if u dont knwo that many hornpipe steps.. Neither do i really.
By ScotchGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jun 04, 2004 06:38 PM
Low cutting is so hard! Is it correct that in low cutting you have your feet pointed when you are doing heel clicks? My teacher says it is right but it looks and feels wrong!
By dance_deva
On Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:59 AM
Now I think of it, Highlandlassie, I agree with you sort of!! I think the forward crab and low cutting are hard technically but strength and stamina wise I still would have to say the pumping or run and cable haul.
By calidancer6
On Sat Jun 05, 2004 06:15 PM
Edited by calidancer6 (95124) on 2004-06-05 18:16:45
i think that technically, the ground cutting step is the hardest, especially on a slippery stage!! its very hard to hit your heel without flexing your foot, and then close into third.
By calidancer6
On Sat Jun 05, 2004 06:18 PM
i think that technically, the group cutting step is the hardets, especially on a slippery stage!! its very hard to hit your heel without flexing your foot, and then close into third.
By rambler
On Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:36 AM
I found both the crab steps hard to master with turning your feet in.
By dancer_babe22
On Wed Jul 07, 2004 05:20 PM
I agree that the crab walk is hard but it probobly wouldn't be if i could keep my balance!
By LaurenM_87
On Thu Jul 08, 2004 07:38 AM
i think pumping is fine after considerable practice. i fid the highcuts to be the worst step!

ReplySendWatch