Guys Who Do Ballet: Help Me
By prima_ballerina1
On 02/29/2004 14:06:54
First off: I am sorry if this is crossposted, I am not sure where to put this.

We have only three boys at my studio. One is injured and the other two are really young(7 and 10). How can I get more guys into ballet around here? My town is in love with football, and so the dudes think ballet is too feminine. I beat all the guys at school when we have compititions in the weight room and they are like "You are so tiny! How did you get so strong?" and I tell them ballet, but they roll their eyes and are like yeah, right. Do you guys have any ideas?
re: Guys Who Do Ballet: Help Me
By JofishDancer
On 02/29/2004 14:38:07
I have been trying to get more people into class for years! I'm never sure how to go about it. My town is also obsessed with football, although both of our teams are on 20 year losing streaks. lol.
By Arak
On 02/29/2004 16:08:11
I've always thought we should stand on street corners with signs: WANTED: STRONG MEN TO LIFT BEAUTIFUL GIRLS WHO DON'T WEAR UNDERWEAR :D
By prima_ballerina1
On 02/29/2004 19:01:55
Arak: that is a good idea! Do you think we could get arrested for that though? LoL. We should all band together!
By Arak
On 02/29/2004 19:10:26
"Oh, Mr. Police Officer, you're sooooo strong! Why don't you come help us out? We need big, strong men like you!" :D
By dangslow
On 03/01/2004 12:16:53
Dangslow puts on cheesy fake cop uniform, hilarity ensues...
By CapoeiraAxe
On 03/01/2004 12:37:12
Arak: hahahahaha! =D That was great!

How about putting on a little recital, with 3 or 4 girls and yourself? Do they ever do a dance show or a talent show at your school? That may be a way to attract more people...who knows!
By Arak
On 03/01/2004 18:17:55
*dies laughing* [big]THUD![/big]

I think I'm having way too much fun on this thread.
By prima_ballerina1
On 03/02/2004 17:20:43
Arak: That was great!

We do have a talent show at my school,but its for singing.
By CapoeiraAxe
On 03/02/2004 17:53:46
So you have the singers sing, while you dance in the background. Problem solved!
By danabboy
On 03/02/2004 18:05:31
You need to talk your B/F into trying 1 class and you might hook them,thats how I got started.
By prima_ballerina1
On 03/02/2004 21:56:59
If I had a B/F, that would be no problem!

As for the dancing in the backroud, no one would pay attention, plus I go to a ghetto school. That means concrete everywhere. I am currently in the process of talking my parents into letting me switch to a school with at least a dance elective.
By AdamR
On 03/03/2004 12:40:20
There's probably a few guys that would love to come and take some classes, but its hard to explain to our society that its perfectly "manly" for guys to do this..

if you were in Eastern Europe, you wouldnt be having any problems.. but you live in the good ole U.S.A where guys watch too much football on TV and think thats the end all and be all.

I personally hate football, now baseball thats a good one.. but it dosnt help you now either..

Adamr
By prima_ballerina1
On 03/04/2004 22:26:09
Yes, but HOW do you get guys to realize that ballet is just as masculine as football? We neeed more male dancers!
By RhythmicDancer
On 03/05/2004 06:30:04
well in our studio we have an arranged boy/girl dance at our end of year concert (this is mainly for the senior students). We ask boyfriends, brothers, cousins and male friends to come and do it so that eberyone has a partner. Its so much fun. This way there are a lot of boys who come and none of them know anything. Another way to do it is to just have a boys dance at the concert and ask for any brothers or cousins or friends (male) who might be interested. In our last concert we had a group of 16 boys ranging in age from 3-13 and about 3/4 of them stayed on to dance this year. It may not seem like much but for a studio which only has 100 students thats a pretty good effort.
guys in ballet
By jazzbooty15
On 03/05/2004 14:49:52
prima_ballerina1 you are lucky you have that many guys in your school! I think we have three and they only do hip hop/breaking. At the end of the year we have a thing called "millenium blast" (because the competition is called millenium dance festival..)and it's when all the dance schools put on sort of a tongue and cheek dance. Everyone that is a student had an opportunity to bring a parent..brother...cousin etc. it's loads of fun and its hilarious to see all the moms, dads and siblings try and dance!! last year the guys that are now in our school were in that and they realized they wanted to take hip hop!! so the point i'm trying to get to is to maybe have an open house or fun routine (in a recital or competition) where there is an opportunity for more guys to try dance!! well i think thats it!!

~Claire
By prima_ballerina1
On 03/05/2004 22:49:15
jazzbooty15: I only have 3 boys at my studio too. Two of them are young and the other is injured.
By dancestar682
On 03/07/2004 16:24:22
guys dance?? Who knew from the town i live in! I dont know one guy who dances at all. You guys are lucky to have even one guy at your studio. We cant do pas de deux obviously which sucks!
Love, Katie
By Arak
On 03/07/2004 20:03:40
^ I hear ya. Where I grew up, guys played football. Period. I didn't get pas class til I came to college. And I love it!

© 2022 - dancer.pro -- 06/24/2022 19:14:18