Forum: Highland / Highland - Hornpipe

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
Hats
By dance_deva
On Wed Mar 03, 2004 03:31 PM

Where do you get your hornpipe hats from? I think they are quite expensive to buy unless you get them second hand. I think it looked good with the name band on them but we arent allowed them anymore.

33 Replies to Hats

re: Hats
By Highlandgrl1986
On Wed Mar 03, 2004 03:36 PM
I bought mine second hand at a dancing competition. There's often people selling outfits there so I would look out. They'll be much cheaper then too. There's websites you can buy them on also like www.tartantown.com . . . but it's 40$ there, maybe some other people know places that would be less expensive.
By dance_deva
On Thu Mar 04, 2004 03:38 PM
Sometimes you can get them cheap from Navy stores, thats where I got mine and it was quite reasonable.
By GonnaBeAStar
On Thu Mar 04, 2004 04:53 PM
I got mine from my Uncle who is in the Navy!!
BTW, I HATE hornpipe hats, they are my worst thing about danicng!! ;)
By dance_deva
On Sat Mar 06, 2004 03:25 AM
GonnaBeAStar...I know!! lol its really annoying, especially if you can't find a hat that fits you and it constantly falls over your eyes!!
By CdnDancer
On Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:26 AM
I've had my same hornpipe hat since I started dancing, and I got it at a Navy supply store for about $5. It's shocking to see how expensive they can get!
By KAZZAmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Mar 18, 2004 03:20 AM
I got a new hornpipe hat on tuesday and i got it from the sea caddets in Dundee it wasnt very expencive at all i just had to put a donation
By dancergirl10member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Mar 18, 2004 07:00 AM
Hey,

Here in my city Lethbridge theres a place called GI JENS that sells like army crap and camo slothes. Anyways they had a huge box of these hats and only a few were bought for like sea cadets if the sea cadets lost the hat that is given to them when the register.

NAyways, they sold em to my whole dance shcool for 5 bucks a piece.

Hornpipe hates here dont go for less then 50!
By Hullachan
On Thu Mar 18, 2004 09:19 AM
what a great idea, you guys! i've been looking for new a hat for a while, but have been avoiding it because of the costs. and my dad's in the navy, lol!!! I should spread the word . . .
By dancin_gal14member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Apr 11, 2004 06:35 PM
i got mine for free!! My mom is in the military and she went in and asked for any extra hats that the dont need they gave us like 3 boxs full!!!!! I picked a couple that i liked and gave the rest to my teacher to sell!!! she sells them for about $15 each. They are in fairly good condition to!
By highland_QT29member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Apr 11, 2004 06:48 PM
Hey
Im with everyone else! I just went down to our local Navy place, and got mine for 5 bucks! Its even got a guys name in it...

William Scully LTD.
CAP SEAMAN
8405-21-505-0121
NOVEMBER 84
SOME MORE #'S

Wow I've never really payed attention to that, but this hats 20 years old! Kinda cool! Sorry guys lol, I thought it was cool

Chantelle
Hornpipe hat
By Dancers4Daisies
On Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:49 AM
I got my hat for free from my cousin who is in the navy. He was on the HMS Ark Royal when they went to Iraq. It's my lucky hat because I have done only 2 comps in intermediate so far and got placings in both for my hornpipe!
By GonnaBeAStar
On Thu Apr 29, 2004 09:11 AM
Hey, has everyone only had the one hornpipe hat?
I've had mine for a good few years now and it's starting to look kinda grubby...
Just wondering how long everyone else had there's for before (if) the needed a new one? :)
By dance_deva
On Tue May 04, 2004 01:02 AM
I am on my original hornpipe hat, I've had it for about 5 years. I've kinda taken care of it so its in quite good condition lol! But you could try gently wiping it with a baby wipe to clean it, or to whiten it up I have seen some people rub in baby powder to make it more white.
By scotdancer
On Thu May 06, 2004 10:27 PM
I had the same hat for 20+ years and then passed it on to my niece! The baby wipes work well. Or you can go at it with a little white shoe polish - make sure to let it dry before you wear it!!! I always kept it in a plain white plastic bag - no markings. My sister put hers in a grocery bag with Safeway on it on a very hot summer comp. day, and some of the Safeway letters came off onto the hat!

Anyway, the hat will last a long time of you're nice to it.
By dance_deva
On Fri May 07, 2004 12:37 PM
Thanks for the white shoe polish tip Scotdancer! I will try that (I will remember not to put my hat in a Safeway bag on a hot day though!!)
By highlandchic
On Fri May 07, 2004 12:40 PM
You can use cheapie shower caps like they have in hotel rooms to protect your hornpipe hat!
Or go to the dollar store and buy a heavier plastic shower cap for it and it stays right on!
For quick clean ups, you can buy "Shout" or any type of stain remover towellettes that are in individual little packets
By villagemaid
On Mon May 10, 2004 05:10 PM
I got mine from a 2nd hand shop for 50cents. Bargain? I wipe it clean with a little Windex on a cloth. Looks great!!
By dancer19882
On Fri May 14, 2004 11:07 AM
i have been looking for a new oe for ages ill ahve 2 try some of these places
By dance_04
On Sun May 30, 2004 01:33 PM
You can get hornpipe hats from somewhere in Ireland mine cost bout £95 pretty heavy eh??
Luv yas
By rambler
On Thu Jun 10, 2004 06:40 AM
dO THE HORNPIPE HATS STILL HAVE TO BE WHITE OR IS BLUE AN OPTION?
By dance_04
On Thu Jun 10, 2004 02:28 PM
Iv seen both colours this year so it must be be fine!
By ScotchGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jun 12, 2004 06:10 PM
I spilled coke on my hat! It's kinda a tannish color now. Do you guys think the judges will accept it that color?
By dance_04
On Sun Jun 13, 2004 01:39 PM
Some people wear old hats and the colour is a bit tan! Go to a comp and you'll find out if they r for or against it if they dont place you that will be why!
Name of seaman - not
By KSMom
On Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:46 PM
Sorry to say so, but the name "William Scully LTD" is the name of the company which manufactured the hat, not the name of the seaman
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch