Forum: Advice / Pilates/Yoga

Page:
Page 1 of 61 2 3 4 5 6
Pilates/Yoga
How Pilates is Beneficial to Dancers (karma: 45)
By Triskitmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 5126, member since Mon Jul 22, 2002
On Thu Mar 18, 2004 02:04 AM
Made sticky by balletgurl (11968) on 2004-04-06 02:19:03 member request

I keep seeing the same question posted over and over again on this board...does pilates help dancers? the answer is YES!!!!

<b>What is the Pilates Method of body conditioning? </b>

Developed in the 1920s by the legendary physical trainer and founder of the Pilates Studio¬ô, Joseph H. Pilates, The Pilates Method is an exercise system focused on improving flexibility and strength for the total body without building bulk. Not surprisingly, some of the first people to use the Pilates Method were dancers such as Martha Graham and George Balanchine.

The Pilates Method is not just exercise, however. It is a series of controlled movements engaging your body and mind, performed on specifically designed exercise apparatus and supervised by extensively trained teachers.

<b>Benefits of the Pilates Method</b>

The Pilates Method can be your primary mode of body conditioning and injury prevention.

Recently discovered by physical therapists, chiropractors and orthopedists, The Pilates Method of body conditioning can also be integrated into rehabilitative exercise and physical therapy programs designed to speed recovery of soft tissue injuries.

Pilates trains your body to develop the long, lean, healthy body we all want.

You'll get:
1. Flat, firm abs without doing strenuous sit-ups or crunches
2. Defined, steel buns with no lunges, squats, or machines
3. Lean, sculpted legs and thighs without dangerous aerobics
4. Toned and trimmed arms without heavy weights or mind-numbing repetitions
5. Dramatic improvement in posture, poise, and flexibility.

Aren't these all things dancers want to improve, maintain or gain?

Pilates has been around for many years, it's not a new fad...although it's popularity has exploded in recent years. It has long been the secret of many professional dancers and celebrities and is now available to the general public. You can find classes anywhere from the local YMCA to the WINSOR pilates tapes on TV. Anyone can access it.

With it's proven track record for training and developing some of the best bodies in the world, it's a safe bet to say Pilates can help you too.

The National Ballet of Canada has it's own pilates studio and trainers as dose the NYCB, and many many other top companies in the world hire pilates instructors to work with the dancers in their company. This has been happening for yrs not just recently since pilates became "popular".

Try it for yourself and you'll see a change.

As Joseph H. Pilates said:
"In 10 sessions you'll feel the difference, in 20 you'll see the difference, in 30 you'll have a new body."

146 Replies to How Pilates is Beneficial to Dancers

re: How Pilates is Beneficial to Dancers (karma: 1)
By balletchica101 Comments: 79, member since Sat Mar 06, 2004
On Thu Mar 18, 2004 02:19 PM
Nice post! I agree with everything you said, I've been doing Pilates for a year and the results are amazing. My stomach is so toned I love it! I think everyone should try it!!!
re: How Pilates is Beneficial to Dancers
By DanzeNGirlie003 Comments: 1277, member since Tue Dec 30, 2003
On Tue Apr 06, 2004 02:07 AM
Nice...karma'd u up very informal
By TiNkA6487 Comments: 52, member since Thu Apr 01, 2004
On Thu Apr 08, 2004 02:26 AM
Thanks for the great post. I've been deciding between pilates & a stretch class because I want to improve my flexiblity. You just helped me make up my mind! :) I'd give you karma but i can't yet :(
By xx_maya_xx Comments: 10, member since Tue Apr 13, 2004
On Tue Apr 13, 2004 06:24 PM
taht was a great post... dont stop writing..;) thanks
By Pointedancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4291, member since Tue Apr 02, 2002
On Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:23 PM
Thanks for posting that! I was actually wondering that exact thing (and was about to post a thread on it ;)) So thank you for informing me! Great information too!
Pointedancer
By dancer_nellie Comments: 27, member since Sun Apr 18, 2004
On Sun Apr 25, 2004 05:54 PM
Wow!.. i do paloties about 3 times a week but i dont see the results yet (ill keep trying tho) i was staring to think it was a waste of money adn time. It reminded me that it wasn't. good job
By Yaeli Comments: 786, member since Sun Oct 07, 2001
On Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:08 AM
Great post! and it's so true.
I'm not doing pilates for that long, but I feel the change already - if not from the outside, from the inside!

It's such a smart technique, that I'm amazed it was so "well-hidden" for so long...
By breakitdown Comments: 24, member since Wed Oct 23, 2002
On Thu May 13, 2004 02:15 AM
Good info! I love Pilates. I have a friend that is a private instructor. I am a hip-hop dancer that tries to do ballet and pilates definatly helped.
re: How Pilates is Beneficial to Dancers (karma: 2)
By abc4dance Comments: 361, member since Sun Oct 05, 2003
On Tue May 18, 2004 07:14 AM
Pilates is beneficial to dancers, and as both a dance and pilates instructor I see dance being beneficial to pilates as well. However it is very important to realize that for a dancer Pilates is only beneficial as a cross training tool. It is wonderful for increasing stability and peripheral movement; a great way to keep in shape and return to dance during an injury, and combine it with cardio for a great workout. Pilates cannot take the place of regular technique classes in a dancer's life and should not be the only cross training method, specifically for a ballet dancer. The reasons for this are: Pilates is linear, pilates is not locomotor - it does not move through space the way dance does (although it does move through levels) and musicality/phrasing/expression are not a part of pilates.

That being said, as with any other activity, make sure your instructor knows their stuff. Pilates is as much about training the neuromuscular system as it is about the physicality of the movement. Competiveness has no place in pilates, you need to honour your body and look to the advances you make.
By ilove_ballet04 Comments: 30, member since Mon Mar 15, 2004
On Mon May 24, 2004 10:25 AM
That was a great post! :) I've been doing pilates for about a year now, when my ballet teacher first introduced it in a summer school class! Ever since then I've been doing Pilates regularly! It definetly is a huge benefit to dancers! Thanks for the great post! :)
Sara
By DancerBabe328member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1717, member since Mon May 05, 2003
On Sun May 30, 2004 08:54 AM
That was a GREAT post! Thanks!!

xoxo DancerBabe

**I was born to live and I live to dance.**
By TBdancer07 Comments: 94, member since Mon May 24, 2004
On Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:25 PM
Thank you so much! I've been wondering what pilates actually does to help dancers. I have a pilates video that I have done once or twice and at the summer intensive I am going to this year they have pilates classes and I now know why!
By bellarina2member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 189, member since Tue Mar 09, 2004
On Tue Jun 15, 2004 06:16 PM
thanks for that!
By Tinkerbell_7 Comments: 25, member since Sat Mar 01, 2003
On Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:20 PM
i love pilates...at practice when we are doin stomach strengthening excercises i never even get tired anymore!
By Triskitmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 5126, member since Mon Jul 22, 2002
On Sat Jun 19, 2004 02:07 AM
I'm glad so many of you have found this post useful :) Thanks for all the feedback.
By pink_princess2 Comments: 212, member since Sun Jun 13, 2004
On Mon Jun 21, 2004 02:01 AM
cool! i think i'll start right now
By Ballet_Belle12 Comments: 9, member since Sun May 30, 2004
On Fri Jun 25, 2004 06:00 PM
oh wow! im going to a dance and wellness workshop this september and they are doing two pilates classes so im going to take them and see if i like it then if i do ill keep taking it!
By lil_miss_forbes Comments: 76, member since Sat Jun 05, 2004
On Mon Jul 05, 2004 04:47 AM
cool! i think i might try it!!
By DancingJewel Comments: 106, member since Tue Jul 06, 2004
On Thu Jul 08, 2004 01:18 PM
I agree with you completely. I just started doing Pilates and after my first workout I already felt a little different, which encouraged me to keep going! I look forward to the end results.
By DANC1NGM0M Comments: 23, member since Wed Jul 07, 2004
On Fri Jul 09, 2004 08:55 PM
What about male dancers? My 15 year old son is growing like crazy and keeps losing his flexibility. He used to have great splits but now they're gone. Will pilates help?
By abc4dance Comments: 361, member since Sun Oct 05, 2003
On Sat Jul 10, 2004 06:33 AM
Pilates will definately help. I work with my husband and he's noticed a difference in his flexibility and stability - biggest change was in pirouettes and tour en l'air for him. I know have several male dancers who have seen his improvement and want to do the same. Find an instructor who has worked with teens as their bodies are different from the adults that instructors are trained on, I find the Stott system most adaptable for teens and males. Next make sure they have worked with males. There are some subtle ways to make the exercises more comfortable to work with the male anatomy as many of the exercises are done in a prone position. Lastly if you can find a pilates instructor with a strong dance background the training will go more smoothly since they should be able to either translate movements into similar dance movements or relate the movements to where they will help his dance training.

Comment #2069995 deleted
Removed by Theresa (28613) on 2007-10-22 12:23:32 double post

By dancer_dude8701 Comments: 541, member since Mon Mar 29, 2004
On Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:13 PM
Just so everyone knows...

Abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym.

In other words, you can do 5000 crunches a day and you wont see abs, if your not eating properly. You don't have to work out at ALL to see your abs if your body fat percentage is 10% or under for guys, and 15% or under for girls. Just remember, diet is very impoortant too. More than excersizing at times. So take into consideration when spending all your time working your body like this, then go to mcdonalds. WASTE!
By Simonez2sexxxy Comments: 35, member since Sat Mar 27, 2004
On Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:58 PM
Pilates is awesome.
Page:
Page 1 of 61 2 3 4 5 6

ReplySendWatch