Forum: Advice / Pilates/Yoga

Page:
Page 5 of 61 2 3 4 5 6
pIlates pilates pilates
By TheDiamondPearl Comments: 57, member since Fri Jan 13, 2006
On Thu Jan 26, 2006 05:20 PM
I have been interested in pilates since childhood. I have performed some pilstes my mother has done pilates. I am going to seek professional pilates instructor for one on one classes to get in shape. Pilates protects the core of the body, the back everything.
re: How Pilates is Beneficial to Dancers
By HEMINC Comments: 36, member since Fri Jan 20, 2006
On Thu Feb 02, 2006 04:59 AM
I have danced for some years and not done pilates before. Since starting it a few weeks ago i am already noticing a difference in my Jazz and Modern classes. I have since cancelled my Gym membership and replaced it with Pilates classes. Still waiting to see a reflection in Ballet, sure its not too far off.

Thanks for the post.
-H
By mlocik Comments: 20, member since Sun Feb 05, 2006
On Sun Feb 19, 2006 03:02 AM
Stuff like this is beneficial for everyone I guess...
By dancer60 Comments: 83, member since Sun Feb 05, 2006
On Sun Mar 05, 2006 04:49 AM
hi thx for this amazing information... I've got really problems to control my body 'cauz I'm a natural (flexibility) so now after I've read this I'll go and look for pilates classes
thx a lot .... I hope it'll help me
By GyMnAsT_15 Comments: 42, member since Sun Mar 05, 2006
On Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:31 AM
Thanks a lot this is a very good post!!
I think i might try pilates now
Katie xox

P.S Does anyone if the dvds/videos on pilates are any good??? or do i need to go to a class??? or if there are any good dvds what are they???
pilates
By baskar Comments: 66, member since Thu Apr 27, 2006
On Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:58 PM
Thank you so much i have just started doing pilates... but did not know it had so much more to offer...

thanks heaps...
By kittycatgirl Comments: 10, member since Sat May 06, 2006
On Sat May 06, 2006 07:48 PM
i really liked the post. i checked out a library book two days ago and haven't goten around to doing any of them yet
By Thimbella Comments: 9, member since Fri May 12, 2006
On Sun May 28, 2006 07:04 AM
To abc4dance... I am interested in becoming a pilates instructor. I am a 30 year old ballet dancer, with no experience in pliates (haha I guess it would be smart to take a class;) I do have a bowflex sport and use thier pilates ball workout to great advantage. Can you (or any other instructors)share the steps you took to becoming an instructor? Thank You!
By toutesweet Comments: 57, member since Wed Jun 14, 2006
On Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:38 PM
Wow.
That's awesome.
Thank you sooo much!
I've been thinking about starting pilates.
I'm acctually trying to find a studio currently. =)
By kslach Comments: 23, member since Tue Jul 18, 2006
On Thu Jul 27, 2006 07:49 PM
WOW WOW WOW...thank you so much for this info!! i tried pilates after i had my second baby...but found it too difficult & i felt like i was doing it incorrectly (being i was using the windsor pilates dvd)

i just got back into dancing this year & i wasn't sure if i wanted to do pilates because of my previous experience...so i've started doing yoga..which i totally luv & have found it has helped me w/ my strength & flexibility..but i still have alot of work to do as far as toning, strength & flexibility

the dance studio i go to for ballet offers a pilates session every week..i think i'll start going..i hope it helps me!!

thanks again!
By Triskitmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 5126, member since Mon Jul 22, 2002
On Thu Jul 27, 2006 09:00 PM
Good luck! Yoga is excellent as well and I also practice yoga regularly as well as teach it. I hope you reach your goals ;)
By budocat88 Comments: 28, member since Tue Jun 15, 2004
On Thu Aug 17, 2006 08:53 PM
Pilates is excellent even if you aren't a dancer. I've been practicing martial arts for a good percentage of my life and was recommended to start doing pilates work to help my hips. Due to all the kicking I've done I over-developed the musculature in my hips and didn't balance out the muscles. This led to some deep internal hip pain and knee-tracking issues. My yoga instructor put me in touch with a Physical Therapist who was a certified Pilates instructor and within 4 sessions my hips were feeling a 100% better. I still continue practicing leg circles to this day to keep the health of my hips. I'm in my mid-30's and I think the pilates has helped extend my flexibility and joint health extensively. I recommend Pilates to everyone I know and draw a few raised eyebrows from fellow martial artists.
By Sami_99 Comments: 3, member since Sat Sep 30, 2006
On Sun Oct 01, 2006 09:43 PM
After doing yoga for 2 years ive jsut started doing pilates as well in my early morning 5am practice for an hour also and im already feeling the benifits. Pilates is fantastic
By michelerenee21 Comments: 6, member since Thu Nov 16, 2006
On Sat Nov 25, 2006 05:00 PM
Wow, nice post.
i learned a lot of things about pilates, that i didn't know before. so this post encourged me to try it. = )
By elliebellie87 Comments: 6, member since Fri Dec 08, 2006
On Fri Dec 08, 2006 01:55 PM
I just bought the fludity method which has some pilates elements but also comes with a bar so that I can practice stretching and my positions at home. I've done pilates for years and it's great, just make sure to switch it up every once and awhile getting addicted to one video or class and stunt your progress. Try combining a faster pilates (Winsor method or others) with a slower version (Ann Cobain is really good and more classical). Hope this helps and have fun!
On Fri Dec 08, 2006 01:56 PM
I just bought the fludity method which has some pilates elements but also comes with a bar so that I can practice stretching and my positions at home. I've done pilates for years and it's great, just make sure to switch it up every once and awhile getting addicted to one video or class and stunt your progress. Try combining a faster pilates (Winsor method or others) with a slower version (Ann Cobain is really good and more classical). Hope this helps and have fun!
On Fri Dec 08, 2006 02:01 PM
By katiep455 Comments: 20, member since Wed Sep 29, 2004
On Sat Jan 13, 2007 05:59 PM
Does anyone know of any good pilates DVD's......
Thanks,
Katie
By UKHighlandDancer Comments: 47, member since Fri Jul 13, 2007
On Sun Aug 12, 2007 05:08 PM
I have been doing pilates since having a baby. My stomach is not toned at all at the moment as it stretched so much when pregnant. I don't ever feel that I have worked my muscles after pilates. Should I?
By Triskitmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 5126, member since Mon Jul 22, 2002
On Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:30 PM
UKHighlandDancer wrote:

I have been doing pilates since having a baby. My stomach is not toned at all at the moment as it stretched so much when pregnant. I don't ever feel that I have worked my muscles after pilates. Should I?

I hear this from a lot of clients who have had children. At first it is difficult to feel the connection to the muscles because during pregnancy your body changed so much and the muscles had to release and stretch. You also become very disconnected through your core while pregnant. Makes sense you've got a person living in the middle ;)

The major thing I focus on with people just coming back from childbirth is kegels and drawing the bully button in and up (the scoop). From here we work to find the psoas again and start building connections again.

If you jump right into doing the hundred and leg stretches, etc. you can use the wrong muscles and not really be getting the proper connections going.

I would recommend working with an instructor who goes slow and uses a long warm up to help you re-connect with your center.
By Gembem Comments: 26, member since Fri Jun 01, 2007
On Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:42 AM
I can't wait to start Pilates! I'm doing a dancers workshop in the holiday's.. excited! Thanks for the post, it helped me decide. Thanks!

Merry Christmas Everyone!
By aerlyn02 Comments: 30, member since Thu Mar 09, 2006
On Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:00 PM
I completely agree - Pilates is very complementary to dance, as it focuses on breath, posture and core-stability. Since dance is a mainly anaerobic activity, many dancers train aerobically outside the studio. Of course, some cross-training activities are better than others and over-training can cause fatigue and increase the risk for musculoskeletal injuries. In general I suggest lower-impact cardio activities such as using a rowing machine, exercise bike, walking on a treadmill or elliptical. Somatics practices such as Pilates and Yoga are also very complementary to dance fitness. Moderate to light weight-lifting once or twice a week is also a great way to maintain muscular strength and increase bone mass.

I know many dancers who run as cross-training, and I wrote an article addressing the question of running for dancers. You can read it here on my blog, "A Dancer's Health." Please visit my blog at adancershealth.com.
By barricadeDAWN Comments: 96, member since Mon Feb 18, 2008
On Sun Feb 24, 2008 03:47 AM
Thanks so much :] I was wonderng this exsact same thing x] I take an hours pilates every Wednesday, im not sure if this will be benefical(spelling?) at all, or if you have to do pilates on a daily basis -shrugs- ohwell :D
By jeger Comments: 30, member since Wed Feb 06, 2008
On Fri Feb 29, 2008 06:55 AM
Thanks so much for the advice! It's good to hear from an actual manager...
By Hrynmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 924, member since Wed Aug 15, 2007
On Thu Mar 06, 2008 02:45 AM
How much do private pilates sessions cost? And what are the best tapes to buy in your opinions? Also, how many times a week do you need to do it to make it effective?
Page:
Page 5 of 61 2 3 4 5 6

ReplySendWatch