Forum: General / Ballroom / Ballroom

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Ballroom
History Of Ballroom Dancing (karma: 2)
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34923, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Mon Mar 22, 2004 02:53 PM
Edited by MIClogger (28613) on 2004-03-22 14:59:44 Forgot To Add The Link

<b>What is ballroom dancing?</b>

So what exactly is ballroom dancing? One thing that can be said of ballroom dance is that no one can really agree on a specific definition. Yes, there are those who try to confine it to several specific steps and patterns, but for the true ballroom conasseur, the beauty of ballroom lies in its constant change and development. New dances and variations continue to be added. The Waltz came about in the early nineteenth century. The Fox Trot, Tango and Two-Step were introduced in the early twentieth century. The 50’s saw new variations of the Swing with the birth of rock-n-roll. The 70’s hustled in an era of disco. And the 90’s have seen a renewed interest in country line and couple dancing. Debate arises concerning these latter social dances as to whether they are legitimately ballroom or not. But this is something for you to decide!
Ballroom dance is also known as social dance because it encourages social interaction between dance partners. While it is a beautiful form of art, it has also at times been an integral part of people’s daily lives for hundreds of years, providing an atmosphere for men and women to gather together, develop friendships and have a good time.

Lately, ballroom dancing is making an unprecedented comeback. Social dance classes are taught on virtually all college campuses throughout the United States and draw hundreds of students each semester. Ballroom dancing continues to be a main social event for seniors and is growing as a fashionable pastime for middle-aged and younger men and women as well.

The principles learned in ballroom dancing can be applied to any type of music, whether you listen to classical waltzes, disco, or rock. This is because ballroom dancing follows strict tempo. For the beginning dancer, this means that the music follows an even pattern of beats. The two main types of music you will be dancing to will either be in 3/4 or 4/4. More on that later! Suffice it to say, you’ll be amazed at how many of your favorite songs are perfect for dancing to a Waltz, Fox Trot or Swing.

<b>The Romance of Dance</b>

Dancing and romancing is once again being viewed in a more positive light. For a while, it seemed as though a quest for independence was driving couples apart on the dance floor, especially among younger crowds. The 1970’s saw a renewed interest in partner dancing when Saturday Night Fever exploded and a wave of disco clubs sprang up across the country. Since then, there seems to be a growing fervor among younger people for couples' dancing. The hype for country line and partner dancing that hit in the 1980’s followed by an increased interest in the Latin rhythm dances is proving that people enjoy getting to know one another in romantic and safe social contexts. Ballroom dancing provides just such an atmosphere.

<b>In Search of Mr. Right?</b>

Ever walked into a night club and felt the weight of the smoke around you? The gawking eyes of scavengers on the prowl as you walked by? Well leave these negative experiences behind. You’ll never have to search for Mr. or Mrs. Right in the wrong place again. Today, people seem to be getting tired of the night club scene - women are sick of getting hit on by sleazy guys and men are growing tired of having to come up with creative one-liners. So what is the solution? Ballroom dancing!

Learning how to ballroom dance may prove not only to be an excellent form of entertainment and exercise, but you may even meet your mate. Countless people have lived to tell just such wonderful stories. Ballroom dancing provides an ideal social climate. Couples and singles can enjoy listening to great music at a decibel level that promotes communication. Have you ever been to a concert where the music was so loud that you could barely think, let alone talk to the person standing next to you? Well, you will find no such thing on a ballroom dance floor. Ballroom dance can safely be called a "social dance."

I forgot to cite this...www.dancetv.com

29 Replies to History Of Ballroom Dancing

re: History Of Ballroom Dancing
By LadySonjamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1223, member since Tue Aug 12, 2003
On Tue Mar 23, 2004 06:38 AM
Hiya!

I already posted a similar article a while ago (it was more on the real historical details and much longer..). Here is the link: dance.net . . .

*LadySonja*
Thanks
By dancer_ella Comments: 122, member since Wed Aug 27, 2003
On Tue Apr 06, 2004 01:04 PM
Such an informative piece on ballroom, thanks! I have been doing ballroom dancing for 3 years now - and still enjoying it.

I must admit though, i wish social dancing was as popular in the states as it was here. It is very hard to see a young couple like me and my partner dancing socialy. I enjoy dancing socialy so much, i think it makes dancing more fun, away from the average lesson - being told what to do lol.

Ella xxx
By spicyorangetangomember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1119, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Thu Apr 22, 2004 04:40 PM
Anyone who wants further information should check out "The Complete Book of Ballroom Dancing" by Richard M. Stephenson and Joseph Iaccarino.
By jaigurudevaohm Comments: 1, member since Fri Jun 11, 2004
On Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:46 PM
very interesting! i was thinking of starting ballroom dancing soon, and its nice to know a little history!
Just do it
By Dancer150 Comments: 81, member since Sat Jul 17, 2004
On Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:56 PM
here is a good ballroom history site with explanation of dance steps - see About Dancing - tab
www.dancesportinfo.net . . .

create your own history and work your way to a dance competition
By PuppySmile Comments: 13, member since Thu Jul 22, 2004
On Thu Jul 22, 2004 07:37 AM
So clear! I think there were many versions in the world!
But you are very kind to post it.

Thanks
PuppySmile
On Thu Jul 22, 2004 07:41 AM
Ella,

That's a great think to enjoy your ballroom dance. My ballroom dance experience was always 3 three years.

PuppySmile
On Thu Jul 22, 2004 07:43 AM
Hi! Wish you can find the good teacher and learn a enjoyable lesson.

PuppySmile
By DancingJewel Comments: 106, member since Tue Jul 06, 2004
On Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:56 PM
This is really cool, I didnt know a lot of the stuff that you mentioned. This mustve taken you a while to research. Thanks for sharing with us :)
By Tingeling Comments: 168, member since Mon Aug 02, 2004
On Sun Aug 08, 2004 03:26 PM
this is really good!! i didn`t now this much about this topic..;)

hugz
By highlandlassie Comments: 2896, member since Wed Feb 18, 2004
On Wed Aug 18, 2004 09:04 AM
Thank you for the history! I love all forms of dance, and I enjoy watching anything that's even remotely like dance (Synchronized swimming, skating, diving, gymnastics, etc.). Once I was watching ballroom dancing with some highland dance buddies of mine. I don't know which dance they were doing, but a lot of their gowns were crazy! They kept getting caught between the men's legs, which for some reason we found hilarious! Anyway, we did enjoy watching it. I can't imagine being able to do anything more than walk in heels, so I have a lot of respect for ballroom dancers! :)
By dapenda Comments: 22, member since Wed Feb 07, 2007
On Fri Jun 01, 2007 02:28 AM
Very nice guide, there's also more information on the history of ballroom dancing at www.answers.com . . .
By danceattack_roz Comments: 32, member since Sat Dec 29, 2007
On Sat Dec 29, 2007 05:31 AM
Brilliant! It's very informative! Keep up the good work!

Comment #7150354 deleted

By ud_thedaancedean Comments: 21, member since Fri Jul 18, 2008
On Sat Jul 19, 2008 02:26 PM
is there any particular counting style of ballroom dance?
By ellie94x Comments: 39, member since Wed Sep 24, 2008
On Fri Feb 27, 2009 06:49 AM
This is a really nice post,
Thanks for posting it,
Love from
Amyx
re: History Of Ballroom Dancing.
By ellie94x Comments: 39, member since Wed Sep 24, 2008
On Fri Feb 27, 2009 07:36 AM
Really Great post!
Thanks alot for posting!
By squella Comments: 24, member since Thu Jul 24, 2008
On Thu Mar 26, 2009 05:55 AM
hey this is a really great post, all the information I found on this post that i needed to know. thanks you guys!!
By yasfromgoodmans Comments: 30, member since Sun Jun 28, 2009
On Fri Jul 03, 2009 02:44 PM
Whoa that must of taken you ages it's awesome!
By daniellaBienek1 Comments: 21, member since Tue Jul 21, 2009
On Sat Jul 25, 2009 03:02 PM
really interesting post
By applausedance Comments: 1, member since Tue Sep 29, 2009
On Tue Sep 29, 2009 09:47 PM
Great history of Ballroom Dance. If you want to stay up on all the latest news on Ballroom Dancing check out this link regularly. New Ballroom News daily. admin.webpointusa.com . . .
By lorenzoaguilar28 Comments: 1, member since Fri Dec 17, 2010
On Wed Mar 30, 2011 07:58 PM
The popularity of shows such as "Dancing with the Stars" has more people interested in dance, and, therefore, in ballroom dance costumes. As we've learned from the often flamboyant costumes that appear on the show, ballroom dance is one area where just about anything goes.

There are a wide variety of dances that are considered part of modern ballroom dancing, and the dances that might be involved in a particular competition can vary depending on the organization that is sponsoring the event.

Some of the many dances that are found under the umbrella of ballroom dance may include:

* Slow waltz
* Tango
* Viennese waltz
* Slow foxtrot
* Quickstep
* Cha-cha
* Samba
* Rumba
* Paso Doble
* Jive
* East Coast Swing
* Mambo
* Foxtrot

Other styles of ballroom dance include vintage and nightclub dances, such as the polka, hustle, lindy hop and two-step. Country, Cajun and Latin dancing include yet more possibilities.

The folks on "Dancing with the Stars" have to master the cha-cha, foxtrot, jive, mambo, paso doble, quickstep, rumba, samba, tango, slow waltz and Viennese waltz, and these are the most common dances found in the various international competitive ballroom dancing worlds.

Comment #9521996 deleted
Removed by oz_helen (35388) on 2011-04-11 05:48:10 Copying and pasting the same quote on 20 threads is not appropriate use of the forum. These comments have now been removed.

By EDanceFashion Comments: 8, member since Fri Apr 15, 2011
On Fri Apr 15, 2011 02:33 AM
Thank you for the history! i didn`t now this much about this topic..;) Very nice guide!
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch