Priority Teaching Jobs

Forum: Teams / Poms

Poms
I'm choreographing a pom routine and would like suggestions, en>fr fr>en
By aussiecheermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 591, member since Mon Oct 13, 2003
On Wed Mar 31, 2004 07:04 AM

Hey all, hopefully you may provide some insight into the world of pom routines. I am a coach for a team aged between 7 and 15 yrs, this year we are hoping to compete in our national competition, which is in Australia, and one of the routines we have to perform is a pom drill dance routine.

Now i've got the music and i've started to place some parts so that i know where they go but i'd really like some suggestions.

I'm after something you think would make the beginning of a routine look great or something you would love to see in a pom routine. Any suggestions are welcome whether you be coach, athlete or parent/friend. let me know what you think! oh and currently there are 15 of us, hoping to get some more though.

Thanx
Dale

6 Replies to I'm choreographing a pom routine and would like suggestions,

re: I'm choreographing a pom routine and would like suggestions, en>fr fr>en
By Jennymom Comments: 905, member since Wed Aug 06, 2003
On Sun Apr 18, 2004 01:30 AM
A strong march on, with lots of arm movements looks great!
By DancerDorkmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3409, member since Thu Mar 07, 2002
On Sun Apr 18, 2004 01:34 AM
One thing that my pom routine did this year, we used our poms and put them in the shape of a heart, it looked really cool and the judges always liked it! Just do it in any cool shape like a heart or star, that goes with the dance. Good luck :)

*the beats in your feet, but the arts in your heart*

*jenna*
By dancinditz07 Comments: 101, member since Sun May 23, 2004
On Mon May 24, 2004 08:07 PM
change up the formation a lot! the judges dont like it when u stay in one formation the entire time! i was captain of my pom squad and we won nationals!
By KicksElitePoms Comments: 151, member since Sat Apr 10, 2004
On Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:44 AM
Yeah I like changing formations. Put the dancers at different levels sometimes (like floor, knees, standing). Partner 8-counts are nice. The shape idea is awesome, but we always spelled out K-I-C-K-S (the team name) with our poms! Oh, and facials are KEY!!! Huge smiles, sweet smiles, winks, sassy looks, raised eyebrows, i'm-too'sexy-for-this, i'm-having-too-much-fun-up-here looks are SOOOOOO entertaining to watch, and just bring so much personality, energy, and excitement to the dance! They make the WORLD of difference to my team! And we like doing whoo!'s and ow!'s! They're cute!
more tips en>fr fr>en
By kelsc78 Comments: 2, member since Sat Jul 17, 2004
On Sat Jul 17, 2004 07:23 PM
For a pom routine, you need to make sure that all of your girls are SHARP!! That is really important and also have a lot of visuals such as ripples or have have the girls with their arms down and the rest with their arms up. You know? That kind of thing. Also, tight formations with pom work always looks impressive.
By RDSSPomDancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 353, member since Tue Jul 20, 2004
On Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:10 AM
Okay, this might be difficult to understand but bare with me, lol. This is a move we used this year and you do it fast and sharp with the strong facial expressions.

Your standing and put your arms straight out..into a 'T,' with your hands in cinnamon rolls (as we call them..lol) or clenched fists. You bend your right arm into the half 'T' and then you move it back to being straight as you move your left arm into the half 'T.' Then as you move your left one back to being straight, do the right one into the half 'T' and then your done with that section. (It has to be done fast and sharp to look good)

After that, this is the easy part to do but hard to explain. Okay, you know how you do the muscle man thing with your arms up? Well, just turn your fist so your fingertips are pointing to the audience. This is what your arms should look like: [ ]. Lol, told you it's hard to explain, then after this you bring the muscle man thing down so your forearm's are pointing straight at the audience and your upper arms are pointing out to the walls. After this you bring your elbows back then throw with your arms in front of you.

Remember, this has to be done fast, sharp, clenched fists..and smile! Hope I helped..it's a fast four count if done right. :D

ReplySendWatch