Forum: Ballet / Guys in Ballet

Page:
Page 3 of 61 2 3 4 5 6
re: A Basic Guide to Males in Ballet
By aliciaballerinamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 99, member since Thu Nov 04, 2004
On Thu Nov 04, 2004 02:03 AM
this is a truly fantastic post! ill tell my friends, theyre sure to enjoy it too! thanks heaps!
new male dancers (karma: 1)
By leoboypinktights Comments: 50, member since Sat Nov 13, 2004
On Sun Nov 14, 2004 08:36 PM
Very nice post. For someone who never took class this is a good post. I didnit take any classes till college and was worried about wearing tights for the first time. as you said, you are in class and this is the uniform. I didn't get any smart remarks, however I was not a the size of the typical male dancer. I am tall and big. I looked more like a football player tham dancer.
I did not weare the thong style dance belt I prefered a full breif style I found when I started to dance. Yes you get a panty line but in dark tights its not too noticble. I do agree in light colors if you want to look professional you have no choice but to weare a thong style. I have always prefered Capizio brand of mens tights and have not had a problem with them droping dow at the waist. Even after several washing they seem to hold up well. I also generally felt more comfortable wareing a short sleeve leotard rathwer tham a T shirt. This way there was no chance the shirt would pull out of my tights. Thanks for your post I am sure it would be helpful to most begining dancers.
By jimis Comments: 1, member since Mon Nov 01, 2004
On Thu Nov 18, 2004 06:28 AM
hello all there
i think boys should go to ballet not only girls
um like well oh ohk
By BlackJamesBond Comments: 4, member since Fri Nov 26, 2004
On Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:14 AM
hey hey wait... i own you
By mrmax Comments: 10, member since Sun Oct 31, 2004
On Fri Nov 26, 2004 09:25 AM
That was great,and to the point. So we should all go to class and have a great work-out in the art of Ballet.
Regards: mrmax
Leotards
By lynn_dancer3200 Comments: 34, member since Fri Nov 26, 2004
On Mon Nov 29, 2004 06:37 AM
Hi, I prefer a short sleeved leo, too. I take you you wear pink sometimes?
thanks
By doggydog02119 Comments: 32, member since Mon Jul 12, 2004
On Tue Dec 07, 2004 07:22 PM
this is really good advice thanks alot!!
Greg
thanks
By doggydog02119 Comments: 32, member since Mon Jul 12, 2004
On Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:57 PM
this is really good adive thanks alot
greg
By BradenTx Comments: 22, member since Sun Oct 31, 2004
On Sun Dec 12, 2004 04:11 PM
All of this information is very helpful. It gave me confidence and equipped me to ask the right kinds of questions when preparing for class. Thanks to everyone who posted and gave advice.
By agrostar Comments: 31, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Mon Dec 13, 2004 09:33 AM
Very informative.

I haven't takn any dance clases yet, but I have made it a New Year's resloution to take a dance class. Your post answered many of the questions I had.

Might anyone know of a website that lists out all the places that one could take dance? Looking for something in my area, hopefully someplace where I won't be the only guy in th class.
By balletboy21 Comments: 53, member since Wed Dec 22, 2004
On Thu Dec 23, 2004 07:30 AM
coming from a male dancer of many years I must say that this is really good advice!
By luv2plie Comments: 1904, member since Wed Jul 16, 2003
On Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:53 AM
good post....thanks

Kev
By luv2plie Comments: 1904, member since Wed Jul 16, 2003
On Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:54 AM
Good info...thanks

Kev
By danzgeek Comments: 22, member since Wed Dec 29, 2004
On Sun Jan 02, 2005 01:03 PM
Thanks for posting this. I wish I had read it when I started this summer. It really has a lot of useful information. Believe me, when I started in June, I felt like a stranger in a strange land. I still do a little bit, but its fun.
By cissp Comments: 31, member since Mon Jan 03, 2005
On Mon Jan 03, 2005 03:02 PM
Doubling the DB? in case one snaps? That happened in a Nutz I was in (not to me, thank Goodness!) The part in the back could come away from the belt.

I would not wear two heavy belts, I would wear two thin ones.

Unless you are translucent, wear a tan dancebelt under white tights.

Cheers,'

MJ
Thanks for a great guide!
By pianomanatl Comments: 22, member since Fri Dec 24, 2004
On Fri Jan 07, 2005 01:10 PM
Thanks so much for this great guide! Any chance you have it in a word format you could send me? I've been wanting to take classes, but have not had the courage. I'm trying to find someone to give me a few private lessons before going to a class with other women and kids. Any advice you can give me beyond what you posted is appreciated. I workout and swim regularly, so hopefully it won't be too difficult.
By Jazzy26 Comments: 198, member since Wed Feb 18, 2004
On Tue Jan 11, 2005 02:04 PM
Thanks for the info!!!! It is very helpful.
By Le_Phantasmamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 63, member since Sat Jan 15, 2005
On Mon Jan 24, 2005 01:05 PM
Thank you.
re: A Basic Guide to Males in Ballet (karma: 1)
By dadance Comments: 35, member since Fri Feb 04, 2005
On Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:04 AM
This basic guide is much appreciated as it is my humble opinion that there are too few males in ballet, particularly considering my observation that ballet has tended to be more popular when there were certain males in the limelight, e.g. King Louis XIV of France, Nijinsky, Nureyev, and Baryshnikov. There are others, but can the average person name more than two of the ones already mentioned?

Of course female dancers are wonderful, but unfortunately in this day and age, male dancers are stigmatized as being overly feminine, particularly outside Europe.

I have some general and specific questions for you all:

1. Do you think that classical ballet is diminishing as a spectator artform? as a practiced artform?

2. Do you think that the cultural popularity of ballet in general is related to the status of the male dancer?

3. Who do you think is the current "one to watch" of male ballet dancers?

4. Do you think the popularity of ballet has been affected by the plotless ballet? by the lack of a renowned composer who is dedicated to writing music specifically for ballet?

5. On another note, what is your favorite make and model of ballet flats for men? (The model may be men’s, ladies’, or unisex.)
By goatz Comments: 3, member since Sat Feb 05, 2005
On Mon Feb 14, 2005 07:59 AM
that was gewd heklp. now i will start . thankyou a lot. appriciated
By ballet_lad_gavin Comments: 23, member since Sun Mar 06, 2005
On Tue Mar 08, 2005 01:03 PM
really useful, cheers, I wish I'd had that to read when i first started a few years ago!

Thanks though! have't had the chance to wear for performance yet!
By ballet_lad_gavin Comments: 23, member since Sun Mar 06, 2005
On Tue Mar 08, 2005 01:04 PM
really useful, cheers, I wish I'd had that to read when i first started a few years ago!

Thanks though! have't had the chance to wear for performance yet!
By Balletboi18 Comments: 21, member since Thu Mar 10, 2005
On Thu Mar 17, 2005 05:04 PM
hey i am also a ballet dancer that was a great post
By petmel Comments: 24, member since Sun Sep 05, 2004
On Sun Mar 20, 2005 09:24 PM
I thought your posting was very sound advice, I have just returned back to ballet after 34 years away from dancing things has not chains that much
Beginning Ballet Dancer
By Dancr Comments: 36, member since Mon Mar 21, 2005
On Mon Mar 21, 2005 03:41 AM
I have danced my whole life in Tap, but have recently taken Ballet and Jazz. I am the only male dancer in ballet that the studio has seen as a matter of fact the only one in my southern region (that I know of). So when I had questions about dance belts and the obvious male questions, my female dance teacher just did not know. Some questions was just to embarassing to ask. I thought I was the only guy who ever wondered if it should point up or down. I also wondered how a dance belt should fit. This thread has answered my questions and I am very thankful.
Page:
Page 3 of 61 2 3 4 5 6

ReplySendWatch