Forum: Highland / Highland - Hornpipe

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
Does anyone doe Highcuts at the End differently?
By dancergirl10member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Apr 04, 2004 02:45 PM

Does anyone do Higcut Out Higcut? I thinkt he are called Extended Highcuts?

Im the only one ive EVER seen at competeions that does them.

25 Replies to Does anyone doe Highcuts at the End differently?

re: Does anyone doe Highcuts at the End differently?
By highland_QT29member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Apr 04, 2004 04:39 PM
Hey
Are you serious? My dance teacher would kill me if I didn't do extention highcuts! A lot of dancers in my group do them. What group are you in (beginner,novice ect.) Many of them don't start doing extentions until they are in later novice of intermediate!
Chantelle
On Sun Apr 04, 2004 04:41 PM
im in premier
On Sun Apr 04, 2004 06:33 PM
Hey
Wow! Im surprsied, that no one but you does split highcuts! Just think of it this way, it makes you look like a stronger dancer! Good luck with your dancing
Chantelle
On Sun Apr 04, 2004 06:40 PM
Okay what i mean...
Is You knwo how you alternate Feet when doing high cuts? Well my teahcer taught them to us like this:

For the first half:

right
left
right
EXTEND right foot
Right
left
right
left
Extend left foor
left
Right
Extended right foot
right
Left
Extended Left foot
Left

BREAK.

2nd Half:

left, right, left, out left, right, left, right out right , Left out left, Right out Right, Lefgt right, Assemble Leap.

Do you kwnow hat imt alking about now??

I do Split High cuts with all of them, Its just we Extended and do 2 high cuts on one foot?, Man i had to do those in novice lol

its like doing 2 high cuts on the one leg, But you
By AlwaysDancing
On Sun Apr 04, 2004 08:51 PM
Hi Dancergirl, I have always done the highcuts the way you do them. I've seen a lot of people do them that way, so I'm not sure why you've never seen them! You're definitely not alone. :)
By highlandchic
On Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:19 PM
Same here, I've done them always, in the hornpipe and the last highcuts at the end of the reel. Highcut, highcut, double highcut

Alot of people (most actually) in premier and intermediate do that all the time in Ontario ! Sometimes I'll do regular split highcuts, but mostly I do the variations like you described.
By GonnaBeAStar
On Mon Apr 05, 2004 09:34 AM
Hmmm, I'm not a big fan of the varied highcutting. I'd rather just see 26(is that the right number?!) good strong normal extension highcuts.
My teacher always makes the girls who aren't very good at extended highcuts do the variation one. I dunno why really... maybe it makes them think about their body more? Or maybe it's just easier for them...?
But yeah, not many older people do it around here, though you sometimes get intermediate doing them, and some of the littler premiers. :)
On Mon Apr 05, 2004 05:35 PM
Hey
oohh ok now I know what your talking about! I was actually going to do those in my hornpipe this past weekend but I didn't want to screw them up! Unfortunatly, I didn't have to do another pattern to mess them up hahah! You don't see that very often here, but maybe Im not looking lol
Chantelle
By dancer19882
On Fri May 14, 2004 11:12 AM
yeh i know what ur talkin about 2! u can also do highcut highcut shedding highcut etc....
By GonnaBeAStar
On Fri May 14, 2004 12:08 PM
Yeah I didn't know until recently that instead of highcuts you can do 'round the legs'. That's so weird!!
Does anyone do this? I tried and ended up tripping over my own feet, lol!! :)
By GonnaBeAStar
On Fri May 14, 2004 12:22 PM
Yeah I didn't know until recently that instead of highcuts you can do 'round the legs'. That's so weird!!
Does anyone do this? I tried and ended up tripping over my own feet, lol!! :)
By maureensiobhan
On Fri May 14, 2004 01:36 PM
I know what you mean-spring, spring, spring, hop, spring, spring, spring, hop, spring, hop, spring, hop, spring, spring, assemble, leap. That's the way I always did them when I was competing. I did them extended too.
By lexi_k
On Sun May 16, 2004 05:13 PM
Haha, I think there was ONE other person at the last comp... I'm working on the highcut-OUT-highcut, but I still can't be sure that both of them will be doubles...
By dance_04
On Sun May 30, 2004 01:30 PM
I used to do high-cut out high-cut in intermediate but now i do stright extended high-cuts!!
Luv yas
By calidancer6
On Sun Jun 06, 2004 09:37 PM
i used to do highcut out highcut for the first set of highcuts. now i do them for the circle, except i start with highcut out highcut on the right foot, and then highcut out highcut on the left, and then 4 regulars, then i repeat it. i think they're fun and they give you more energy and jump.
By highlanddncr
On Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:35 PM
I think I would die if I didn't do a pattern for the highcuts!!
By SeniorLadyPremium member
On Sat Jun 26, 2004 06:53 AM
I'm obsessed with the hornpipe and the highcuts at the end. I'm supposed to do them as dancergirl said ... but it's up in the air whether I ever do. Still obsessed with them, though! XD
By dancing_mad
On Sun Jul 18, 2004 05:45 PM
I do veriations in the 2nd set of highcuts sometimes, and also in the reel.
By Star77member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jul 27, 2004 01:01 PM
We are allowed to do them either way. I was taught just straight highcuts but its very easy to tell when the dancer gets tired. I think doing 2 on one side lets you have a little rest especially if you don't bother to extend the hopping leg. It looks really good and a dancer with amazing high cuts because the extension of the hopping leg looks so unusual.
By highlandlassie
On Tue Jul 27, 2004 01:07 PM
I think all straight highcuts with huge splits looks amazing. However, I think that using different variations gives some variety, which is a lot more fun to dance or watch.
By Tartan22
On Mon Sep 20, 2004 08:53 PM
i do the extended highcuts and i love them! they help me count how many i do and i love how they work with the music... they are really fun to dance too!
By HighCuttinPremium member
On Fri Sep 24, 2004 06:32 PM
High-Cuts are kind of like the brushes in the first step of the Seann Truibhas because you can do them any way you want as long as you end up on the correct foot. I personally like to do them with the "hop high-cuts" in between to spice them up.

Remember, if you are going to put in "hop hich-cuts" you keep both your arms in front of your chest on the "hop high-cut", or else you will end up having the same foot and same arm going at the same time.
differently ;)
By gealicshamrock
On Sat Nov 13, 2004 06:50 PM
I do my highcuts at the end differently then you…mine is always…left right right out right left left out right left left out right ..but I have seen many variations …but that has always been the one I have stuck too…
By jiggygirl
On Mon Jan 03, 2005 05:57 PM
I've just learned the hornpipe and do extended high cuts. I've just moved into Intermediate and that's the way my teacher taught me. I really like the hornpipe! :)
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch