Forum: Folk / African Dance

Gumboot Dancing
By RamTamTam
On Fri Apr 16, 2004 02:08 PM

Has anyone done this before? I started South African Boot Dancing last year and this year I helped choreograph a dance too. It's so much fun, I love it. I got to teach a couple classes too, so I had to do some reasearch on the history of it and watch some videos to get new ideas for some cool moves. Boot dancing is so tough on the legs, but great exercise. What do you guys think?
cheers,
Tamara

5 Replies to Gumboot Dancing

re: Gumboot Dancing
By Gita_Ballerina
On Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:02 PM
A few of my friends in South Africa perform and teach Gumboot dancing. After seeing their red and bruised legs after a performance I freaked out. I love watching it though.
By EireLibramember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:50 PM
Hehe, surprise, surprise, my Intermediate world dance technique course at BYU covered African Gumboot Dancing! It's part of our repertoire, actually. I love how it has evolved into such a competitive sport over there, such political commentary in the music. (Ladysmith Black Mambazo is awesome)

Yeah, all the slapping sure makes your hands and legs raw... during long tours, our guy dancers who do it get blistered, cracked hands, and use New Skin to help protect the injuries.

We taught a bit of this dance form to our kids at the BYU folk Dance Youth Camp this summer... it was generally acknowleged as the favorite dance learnt at the camp.

Keep Gumbootin'!
By MINNY
On Sat Aug 07, 2004 07:51 AM
Aah the good old South African Gumboot Dancing :)
So nice to hear people raving about a danceform that I've grown up with.
I'm a South African and so have known gumboot dancing since I was barely able to walk :)
I did a workshop on Gumboot dancing at university. It's lots of fun but boy do your hands get sore from slapping your boots/legs all the time.
:)
By dazzler
On Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:05 PM
i did a gumboot workshop in school. it was fun and i found quite easy 2 do! we didnt use any music we just sung.
it went something like "attention!"
"he ha!" *2
"a 2 tention!"
" he ha he ha ho he ha!"

ReplySendWatch