Forum: Ballet / Ballet Photos - Misc

Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3
Ballet Photos - Misc
Important about photos and critiquing them (karma: 26)
By Andrew Comments: 1975, member since Wed May 02, 2001
On Thu Apr 11, 2002 11:10 AM

I've noticed now 2 recent postings of Jennifer Russell photos and I don't want those who did the posting to feel I'm criticizing them personally but just in general wanted to remind everyone that you should be considerate when posting and talking about photos of others. Jennifer Russell is actually a member here at Dancenet and I'm not sure how she would feel about her photos being used or critiqued. I don't know if she still visits here but I do know that it is very possible she might drop in from time to time.

I think it's great to see beautiful and interesting photos of other dancers and to enjoy all they have to offer but I'd hate to see someone hurt by our analysis of their form and appearance. Please be careful what you say and how you say it. I realize many of you might not be aware Jennifer is a member, but now you do,lol. Thanks for reading and this isn't intended to come down on anyone, just trying to be cautious and not upset the people who own the pics. Andy

69 Replies to Important about photos and critiquing them

re: Important about photos and critiquing them
By hotforpointemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3918, member since Sat Aug 10, 2002
On Tue Jan 07, 2003 06:32 PM
I agree with everyone that replyed you see I don't open my big trap unless I have somethin nice to say. Jennifer is a member here!!! OMG!!!! SHE IS SOOOO GOOD!
By BalletFanmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 395, member since Mon Oct 28, 2002
On Fri Jan 10, 2003 09:26 AM
I am not a dancer but have noticed the effect that bad comments can have on some of the dancers here.

There is a girl here on dance.net that just recently got taken on by a professional company with your encourgement to audition and she is now thinking of quitting as she does not fit the "body type" according to her preception of comments made here.

Please ladies and gentlemen be careful with your comments as you could be killing someones dreams with just one thoughtless comment.

Thanks.

Paul
By prplmnkydncr Comments: 608, member since Wed Jan 22, 2003
On Sun Feb 23, 2003 01:01 PM
so true!!!

sam
I agree (karma: 1)
By ballet_princess Comments: 99, member since Fri Jan 31, 2003
On Thu Feb 27, 2003 02:54 PM
I completly agree but lets be honest!!

the only way for you to get better is to be critiqed if people always say that its perfect you tend to believe there is no room for improvement. this however is not true the most amazing professionals(not just dance) have gotton were they are from criticism positve as well as negative and if you cannot take critism then you are not truly interested in becoming the best you can be.

And for those critics be nice about the things you say and always come from a helpful point of view instead of being mean and discouraging!

im sorry if i wrote anything that people dont like but take a look at yourselves were you born PROFESSIONAL? or did it take hard work, dedication and critcism to get were you are?

thank you!!

and as always

PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT!!!!
SMOOOO CHEZZZZ
By DancePrincess827member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 6352, member since Mon Mar 10, 2003
On Sat Apr 05, 2003 01:32 AM
I totally agree. Saying something mean is only gonna discourage someone and make them feel really bad and maybe wanna give up. YOu can tell people they're doing something wrong but don't be like "Oh my god, your arabesque is terrible!" but say something like "Maybe you can work on your supporting leg" or something to that sort. Just tell them what they need help with but be nice about it. We're all here cuz we love to dance. There's no reason to make other people feel bad. AFter all, we all share the same passion, we should just unite in that.
By dew_grandejetes Comments: 2186, member since Wed Apr 02, 2003
On Wed Apr 09, 2003 07:08 AM
i havent seen wat people have been saying abt her coz im fairly new here but i cant imagine anything bad abt her.. She's somewhat perfect already! Cant believe she's a member here.. but i its true that we shouldnt put criticisms abt her coz its not reallie good to do that..
By earthlynnmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 101, member since Fri Apr 18, 2003
On Wed May 07, 2003 09:06 PM
thanks, but if jennifer is reading this, I hope she will not get offended by any of our comments cos we don't mean anything by them.
By lifehouse_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 317, member since Mon Dec 23, 2002
On Wed Jun 04, 2003 06:25 PM
I agree, I dont know what all of this is about, but I DEFINITLY think that if someone asks u to critque them, u should not put them down, just tell them one little thing they need to work on. you never know who's dreams u are killing there
By xdancingqueenx Comments: 118, member since Mon May 26, 2003
On Thu Jun 05, 2003 04:18 AM
good work m8
By mezt Comments: 4, member since Sat Jun 07, 2003
On Sat Jun 07, 2003 09:52 PM
A pic that bespeaks the timeless repose of the ballet dancer at ease.
By clara7member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 808, member since Fri Jun 27, 2003
On Sat Jun 28, 2003 10:19 AM
NO ONE on this website should ever say something about a dancer having "the wrong body type." as we progress as a society, more and more is accepted, in pro dancing and otherwise, and if anyone told your friend otherwise they are severly mistaken. however, lately I've noticed nearly all positive body comments, if anything leaning toward admiring larger dancers, not critiquing them. if people post a picture it is kind of assumed they want to know what to improve - i know i would, so maybe she was just confused about what was going on? of course this is not to say people don't have the right to feel the way they do, i just hope no users on here made her feel bad!
cool
By ballerinabliss Comments: 101, member since Wed Jul 02, 2003
On Wed Jul 02, 2003 04:48 PM
hey
By BoRnToDaNcE04member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 725, member since Sun Jun 23, 2002
On Thu Jul 03, 2003 04:56 PM
hey that's an interesting thing to thinnk about..I never thought that some of the dancers we talk about here are members...weird!
thx for making everyone aware!
By dancertwin Comments: 531, member since Thu Jul 10, 2003
On Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:06 PM
We should all be like Thumper!!

"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"

(sorry if that quote's not exactly right, but you get my point.)
Although constructive criticism is ok if asked for.
By jame99 Comments: 24, member since Fri Jun 27, 2003
On Sun Jul 20, 2003 06:58 PM
i agree totally
By authority2dance8 Comments: 21, member since Fri Sep 05, 2003
On Sat Sep 06, 2003 09:12 PM
i agree with everyone! i admit i am one of those people who don't take criticizam and so i just think that everybody needs to think befor they say anything!!
By ballet_boo Comments: 93, member since Mon Feb 03, 2003
On Mon Sep 08, 2003 01:22 AM
i agree do not critasise others because the chances are you are not as good as them any way so instead of pulling the nagatives out of any situation y dont we all look for the positives.
love Beki
By Tchaikovskychick Comments: 3212, member since Thu Sep 04, 2003
On Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:56 AM
I think people should be able to critique other people's technique as long as you're not cruel about it. Sometimes other people can see technique flaws where you cannot. When you are doing something wrong in ballet class, the teacher will instruct you to the correct way in which to do it. As long as the person isn't just trying to insult, I would just take it as advice and learn from it.
By ABTBluebird Comments: 113, member since Sat Oct 18, 2003
On Sat Oct 25, 2003 09:09 PM
I'm new... who is Jennifer Russel? I havn't seen her in a any pictures!
By DanceGirl20member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 584, member since Thu Oct 09, 2003
On Mon Oct 27, 2003 06:13 PM
ABTBluebird, I don't know much about Jennifer Russell either, but I can tell you she's a dancer (doh!!!) and she's really good, I've seen her dancing a couple of times on videos.
By ABTBluebird Comments: 113, member since Sat Oct 18, 2003
On Tue Oct 28, 2003 01:25 PM
oh, ok. I just went online and saw some of her video clips... she does look good!
By kyladancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1026, member since Wed Jun 04, 2003
On Tue Nov 11, 2003 03:48 AM
I'm so thankful for your post. I have posted a lot of pics and thankfully every single comment has been positive...thaNKYOU AGAIN.

XXX K
By Nikkipr Comments: 59, member since Tue Nov 04, 2003
On Wed Nov 12, 2003 05:15 PM
YEAH! thats true...If you have something good to say post it, but if dont ...dont even bother..
By motivity Comments: 27, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Sun Dec 07, 2003 11:21 AM
Very well put Paul and Andy! Thanks for the reminders!

Lorna
Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch