Page 2 of 2: 1 2
re: Highland Dancing FAQ
By Inspirationalmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jul 21, 2004 05:14 PM
Thanks! ~:)~
By Dancer_4_Life27
On Sun Aug 01, 2004 05:01 PM
What an informative post!! thanks everyone!
thanks from the "auld newbie"
By gordongillies
On Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:44 PM
As this is my first post on dance.net and I've been out of the Highland scene for a bit ....A huge thanks for all these wonderful reminders of what highland is all about. It's easy to see why we love it so much! :)It's just so much fun! (I can't believe I survived without it in my life for so long.)
Thanks everyone - I look forward to loving highland along with you...
Thank you
By caasi
On Fri Aug 20, 2004 02:40 PM
I grew up in a family where many of my cousins danced but never had the oppertunity myself. Time for my daughters to have a turn instead... really enjoyed your tutorial on the dance, and costuming too!
By lacey_graham69
On Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:33 AM
Karma for you! awesome job!
Highland Dancing FAQ
By Momofdancer10
On Wed Sep 22, 2004 08:02 PM
Wow, if I only had this info when my Daughter started !!
Great job !!!
By flingthing
On Wed Sep 22, 2004 09:08 PM
I just wanted to mention in respose to dancergirl10's post that you can get tartan hose much cheaper. I got mine from Highland X Press (www.highlandxpresss.com) for only $115 US dollars. Check out their website: they have great stuff for reasonable prices. And they're very nice and helpful.
By Highland_Kristanmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Nov 03, 2004 08:16 AM
Awesome job! Must of taken you awhile, but congradulations, writting something like that isn't easy.
By OvertheOcean
On Sun Nov 14, 2004 01:07 PM
Just a lame question...is the whole outfit with kilt and socks and everything kind of like a solo dress in Irish dance (you have to earn it) or does everyone have to get one?
By SeniorLadyPremium member
On Sun Nov 14, 2004 01:42 PM
Ghilliegael - anyone can get an outfit no matter what their level. It isn't like a solo costume. Rules are restrictions for Highland dancing outfits are very strict, so you really don't have room for the extravagance you see in Irish.

There is SOME leeway though for dancers not at the highest level; for instance, you can wear white knee highs instead of tartan hose (about $100 CHEAPER), and you can wear a white dress for your nationals instead of an Aboyne, which is also less expensive.
By mozzy
On Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:13 AM
yes, you actually *have* to wear the kilt and jacket/vest etc for competitions, it isn't something that is earnt, and the strict rules means that most of it has to be rathr specific, though i do believe that beginners can wear a less expencive version of the kilt called a kiltie (i think) though i am not completely sure what the difference is. the rules seem to have becmoe more and more strict e.g. when i was a beginner we were allowed to wear a visible hair tie in our hair (such as around the bun, people would wear one to match their kilt) and now you are not...
By highlandlassie
On Mon Nov 15, 2004 01:20 PM
A kiltie is made with less fabric than a proper kilt, so the pleats are smaller. Also, it often doesn't have all the same buckles (there are usually three on a proper kilt). There are probably more differences to do with exact specifications, but I think those would be the most noticable ones.
By celtic_reel
On Mon Nov 22, 2004 07:15 PM
I agree with a previous post that Highland costumes and lessons are a good value, although the kilt and socks seem expensive at first. People who take modern dance, tap, jazz, etc. have to buy lots of costumes for recitals that they only wear once. If your kilt has a hem, you can wear one for several years and then you can sell it to a younger student. Highland costumes are made of quality fabric and look beautiful and classic. They keep alive great traditions. You can look bright, happy, and lovely without a lot of glitter and glitz. Your kilt can be pulled out at a minute's notice for a show or competition. You can join other dancers that you've never met before and put on a performance with only a few minutes of planning because they know the same dances! Guys can also wear kilts to formal events like weddings and proms - saves the price of tuxedo rental!
By Inspirationalmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Nov 23, 2004 07:22 AM
Does anyone have interesting stories they could share about their highland dancing? I have none, so it might sound weird of me posting this, but I was just curious. If anyone also has any poems they want to share that would be great! ;)

Happy Dancing Y'all :D
By dAnCin_fOoL95
On Mon Jul 30, 2007 09:03 PM
Thank you for posting that.I just posted something myself saying "what is highland dancing" LOL.It was really helpful & informative-next time,I'll read the sticky's!
By proudpop
On Sat Aug 11, 2007 07:07 AM
Thanks for all the great info. I wish I could have read it years ago when my daughter began. A quick question why are the male national dances like the laddie still danced in highland rather than national outfits. Actually, I always thought they were highland dances that just weren't part of a championship.
By SeniorLadyPremium member
On Sat Aug 11, 2007 02:45 PM
Tradition, I suppose.
By highlandmum100
On Tue Sep 04, 2007 02:23 PM
My sincerest thanks to SeniorLady and dancergirl10. I sure wish you'd been around when my dancer was small! Very informative and helpful. Best to you!!
By scottdancer94member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Sep 20, 2007 05:34 PM
Ok just for fun I checked it out to see if they listed my dance studio, and on Highlandnet I looked at Montana. But there is nothing under it which I no should have something. And I don't no how to contact the website so maybe someone on here will.
By Emsta
On Thu Nov 15, 2007 05:40 PM
proudpop wrote:

Thanks for all the great info. I wish I could have read it years ago when my daughter began. A quick question why are the male national dances like the laddie still danced in highland rather than national outfits. Actually, I always thought they were highland dances that just weren't part of a championship.

Considering the Laddie is a recruitment dance, I would not think that it would be danced in anything other than the Kilt...
By Irishdancegrlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Nov 16, 2007 03:35 PM
the national dances danced in kilts are traditonally 'man' dances, so wearing the kilt depicts us basically crossdressing and being a man
Page:
Page 2 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch