Forum: Twirling / Twirling

Page:
Page 2 of 2: 1 2
re: What is the difference between USTA and NBTA?
By kmgmom
On Mon Aug 06, 2007 08:24 AM
The question I have regarding USTA is that if a twirler is an advanced twirler from another organization it is not an easy crossover to the USTA circuit. We have tried some of the contests but the compulsories are what are holding us back from competing in a lot of events. Then when we do go to the contests we either find out that no one is teaching the compulsory that day or that we are unable to test. It has been two years and we are still only ready to test on level BI. Also, since buying the tape is the only way to get the compulsory routine this limits some people. Now that they added the body movement part it is going to take even longer to even be able to compete in the AA division and yet my daughter does 6 turns. How can you get these compulsories done faster? I think this discourages some twirlers from competing in USTA that are advanced and would like to cross over.
By mkm1981
On Mon Aug 06, 2007 08:45 AM
Have you tried contacting the contest director beforehand? They could tell you whether or not they will be evaluating compulsories at upcoming competitions. They might even make sure to include compulsories if you are requesting it. Also, there are frequently Essentials Meets in the fall, which are entirely for compulsories and movement technique.

I have to say I'm surprised that you've had this much trouble. All of the local contests I competed in (many years ago) evaluated compulsories. Also, be aware that the judges are trained to be extremely picky. The goal is absolute perfection, and it will become harder to advance at the higher levels, even if your daughter is an advanced twirler. Make sure that she understands this and doesn't get discouraged.
By kmgmom
On Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:08 PM
Thank you. Do you know of anyone that has a compulsory tape that is done using it that I can get used? This will help us prepare for the testing beforehand since they can only test in two levels each time. Thanks for the advice about the fall schedule I would love to have her attend those!!!
By Star34
On Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:29 PM
Does USTA have a list of USTA coaches? I checked their web-site and couldn't find one.
By SesameSt79
On Mon Aug 06, 2007 03:10 PM
kmgmom- You aren't required to do the compulsory/pre-trial/trials system. You are welcome to come and compete in our competitive and foundation events (and teams) without doing compulsories. If you are interested in doing the compulsory/pre-trial/trials system, my recommendation would be to locate a USTA coach in your area. Use the video to learn the compulsories and your coach to correct and perfect. This should speed up the process and allow you to test two levels at your next competition. All sanctioned USTA competitions must offer compulsory evaluations.

Now, I very vaguely remember you as being in Florida. We have USTA coaches in most areas of the state who can help you with your compulsories and start your freestyle. We are also offering at least three fall events to learn and test compulsories- two in Jax and one in Orlando.

Star34- You can either tell me what area you are in and I'll help you with some leg work, go to the about section ustwirling.com and e-mail the coaches coordinator or PM me and I will provide you her e-mail address. Barb Biro has a complete list of ALL coaches in the US. USTA and otherwise to make sure any contacts we receive about twirling coaches can be answered. I don't want to post her address here because of spam issues.
re: Technique
By pestojesto
On Tue Aug 07, 2007 03:47 PM
One observation I have about the dance/body technique of many beginner/intermediate usta twirlers (and coaches during instruction), is that the movement is exaggerated in a way that a dancer would never move. The compulsory tapes use a fantastic dancer, but the moves become so drawn out that the grace is lost. For anyone without the additional dance training, by a dance professional, or a highly proficient twirling coach, their development might be stinted by trying to mimic these moves.
re: MD & age groups
By pestojesto
On Tue Aug 07, 2007 03:52 PM
Maryland nbta competitions can have from 30-40 athletes in an age division, which is mostly a span of 3 years. Particularly large are 10-12 and 13-15. Many nbta competitions will split up groups either by individual ages, or by the alphabet, in order to keep achievement realistic (an honestly earned win) while still providing encouragement (hard to move up when you're always in a group of 30+). However, large divisions promote stronger twirlers, particularly at nationals when beginner and intermediate twirlers have worked long and hard for their few wins and have developed further than those who have maybe invested less time or are not challenged as much in their local competitions.
re: gymnastics
By pestojesto
On Tue Aug 07, 2007 04:02 PM
As an FYI, one post suggests that gymnastics was part of why usta split from nbta. (or it could be misread this way) USTA split from nbta many years (decades) before gymnastics was removed from nbta competition. I competed nbta and usta prior to the elimination (in nbta) and frequently used cartwheels, tumbles and butterflies. I never coach anything beyond these because although I was trained for more challenging gymnastics moves, I was never trained to COACH them. A responsible coach needs to recognize limitations, but beyond that, it can be difficult for a coach to discourage a twirler & parent(s) from doing moves that they aren't properly trained to do, or aren't interested in getting the proper training for. And at the end of the day, nbta does not require membership, does not provide insurance, and therefore has to look from a business perspective as well as a health perspective...
By kmgmom
On Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:06 AM
Thanks for the help. I did see that Tessiah is having a contest or clinic in the fall in Celebration. They probably will be doing the compulsories there. I will contact her. Since we are close to Orlando I guess she would be the closest person? If you know of any other on the East Side of Town that would be great!
By Tbaton
On Thu Sep 06, 2007 07:38 PM
Tessah teaches throughout Central Florida and has several main locations. Don't wait until the day of the clinic to test on them. You need coaching on them before. There are a lot of details other than just getting through the twirls. Her email is on the RhapsodyBaton website
By jenniferwinslow
On Mon Jul 07, 2008 02:13 PM
For the MD USTA contest, you must register for your compulsories and movement just like any other event and then they have usually one or 2 judges that do movement and compulsories most of the day. I don't think you can just "show up" and do your compulsories.

My daughter is 9 and currently on B1 compulsory and B2 movement. For dance twirl, solo and 2 baton she is beginner/on the cusp of intermediate (3-4 wins) but for presentation and basic strut she is advanced. In MD the NBTA twirlers are allowed to do their freestyle for critique even if they have not passed certain compulsories - it is just not listed as A, AA, AAA or Elite, just as a Freestyle.
By spindemon
On Sun Jul 27, 2008 06:48 PM
Not much between NBTA abd USTA.

Basically
NBTA- More spins
USTA- More Rolls

Now DMA on the otherhand is way different-
They can do gymnastics in it.

This is why twirling is not in the olympics- too many groups.
By twirl1996
On Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:10 PM
Are there USTA groups in Ohio? We want to try USTA but I don't know where to start.
By jenniferwinslow
On Wed Jul 30, 2008 05:38 AM
go to ustwirling.com and then go to the links page - they will have links to all of the state councils who will then have links to various corps in that state
By twirl1996
On Wed Jul 30, 2008 09:12 AM
Thank you!
By twirl1996
On Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:16 PM
Does USTA offer large corps or just small dance twirls?
By SesameSt79
On Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:44 PM
The following are USTA Sanctioned teams...

Sm DT & TT 4-8 members
Lg DT & TT 9-20 members (there might not be a high limit)
The above teams are offered in Beg, Int, Adv
The age catagories are Pri 0-9, Juv 10-12, Jr 13-15, Sr 16+

Show Corps (props and backdrops) 8+ Members Twirling Members
Parade Corps 8+ Twirling Members
The above two corps are offered in Class A & Open
The age catagories are Jr 0-15 and Sr 16+
By heavenlybaton
On Mon Oct 20, 2008 08:43 AM
Thats a lot of great information.. thanks,.
By jimzdancer
On Tue Feb 03, 2009 08:23 PM
thank you for the clarification on these groups! very helpful!

Comment #8199016 deleted
Removed by imadanseur (79325) on 2009-05-04 23:49:55 please read our terms of service...

Page:
Page 2 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch