Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - General

Page:
Page 1 of 181 2 3 4 5 6 14 15 16 17 18
Jazz - General
The BEST stretch ever! I did it once and I improved drastically! (karma: 47)
By dancediva55 Comments: 334, member since Wed Jun 04, 2003
On Thu May 06, 2004 03:34 PM
Made sticky by MIClogger (28613) on 2004-05-06 16:28:30

This stretch works best with a partner. Lay on your back and lift one leg up to your head. Breathe calmly and deeply throughout the entire exercise. Try to get it as far as you can. For 20 counts, have your partner push it further to your head and totally relax your muscles. Yes it hurts but flexibility requires some pain. Resist against the pushing for 20 counts. Then relax your muscles again and let your partner push for 20 counts. For 20 counts, resist the pushing. Then, try to hold your leg as far back as it can go without using your hands for 20 counts or as long as possible. You should be relying on your leg muscles. Then bring your leg to the side of your body and hold it there for 20 counts or as long as possible. Bring your leg down VERY SLOWLY and repeat with the other leg. This was taught to me by 2 girls from Korea who took a summer session at my studio. After doing this once, I went from being 6 inches off the floor to being flat on my left splits. This works so well! ****Note: this should definetely be made a Sticky because it is soooo helpful!

442 Replies to The BEST stretch ever! I did it once and I improved drastically!

re: The BEST stretch ever! I did it once and I improved drastically!
By encoredancer0118 Comments: 283, member since Mon Jun 16, 2003
On Thu May 06, 2004 05:25 PM
Thanks a lot! We do that at my studio and I agree it helps me 100%! Thanks for sharing it!

***...Don't Stop Dancing...***
Kristen
By Austappermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2118, member since Mon Aug 25, 2003
On Thu May 06, 2004 06:31 PM
Such a good exercise! Pressure and release is such a good way to push a stretch further.
Just make sure the person pushing your leg is very careful - we don't want any hamstring injuries!
Thanks for posting. :)
By DancinMunkie05 Comments: 48, member since Sat Apr 03, 2004
On Thu May 06, 2004 10:22 PM
thanks for posting, i will defenitely tell my team to try this. theres always room for improvement, right?!! lol thanks!
xxx april xxx
By wilddanzr06 Comments: 24, member since Wed Apr 28, 2004
On Sun May 09, 2004 10:59 AM
we do this stretch a lot on my dance team, and i do it at home also. a good variation of this stretch is to lay on your back lift one leg, keeping the other on the floor, and hug your thigh(the lifted leg) squeeze it as close to you as possible. then get someone to straighten out the leg slowly until you feel the stretch. hold for 20-30 counts. repeat after lowering the leg and then lifting it again. repeat on opposite leg.
By dancerchick012member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 536, member since Thu Apr 22, 2004
On Sun May 09, 2004 11:02 AM
yea i agree it works very well cuz my teacher tells us to do it all the time!
By bewitchedxxx Comments: 31, member since Thu May 06, 2004
On Mon May 10, 2004 07:20 AM
Wooooh what a stretch I am doing this with my PT and have improved flexibility THANKS
By dancer4lyf530 Comments: 231, member since Mon Feb 02, 2004
On Mon May 10, 2004 03:29 PM
We do that except with straddles! and it works!
By DeSiRe4DaNcE Comments: 185, member since Fri May 02, 2003
On Tue May 11, 2004 04:47 AM
Yeah we do that at dancing all the time some of the best streching u can get....don't force it on ya school friends but coz i heard that it can be kind of dangerous to some peoples muscles....
makes you flexible but, because when you resist you are strengthening and lengthening the muscles at the same time, and that allows your leg to go further back than normally. I've also done that strech in reverse frog sit too.
re: The BEST stretch ever! I did it once and I improved drastically! (karma: 1)
By FunkTapper Comments: 26, member since Thu May 06, 2004
On Tue May 11, 2004 07:07 AM
It is a good stretch, but u can stretch and gain quicker without pain. Pain can cause the muscles to senser a mechanism that will tighten the muscle and then release it back to its normal length not giving any improvement. Stretching should be done at a comfort level and held to 30secs or more with 3-5 repetitions.

Over stretching at ur threshold can also cause u to form muscle and tendon injuries such as tendonitis.

Hope this all helps u realise the impact of stretching to a pain barrier
By aemota Comments: 68, member since Thu Sep 04, 2003
On Tue May 11, 2004 08:36 AM
We have done similar stretches to this, but I tried it with my jazz students last night and they were amazed at the instant feeling of being more flexible. Thanks for the post.
vertigo_4_life
By vertigo_4_life Comments: 314, member since Sat Dec 27, 2003
On Tue May 11, 2004 10:49 AM
Wow! I've tried that before but for that long and that often..I will certiantly try that!!!!!!! I can't wait! Thanks!!
By hotrayb903 Comments: 55, member since Fri May 14, 2004
On Fri May 14, 2004 08:20 PM
Thats so wierd! My dance teacher just taught us that! It does work.
stretch
By danceaholic1 Comments: 25, member since Sat May 15, 2004
On Sat May 15, 2004 05:34 AM
yes this stretch is very good and it made me 100 times better on my left leg than i already was. thanks alot!!!! another good stretch to do is to stand with your back to a wall( this is best done with a partner ) and get your partner to gentely push your leg up over your head so it touchies the wall. but be carefull it can be really painful but it does help. luv Amy xoxox
By dancediva55 Comments: 334, member since Wed Jun 04, 2003
On Wed May 19, 2004 04:28 PM
Well it's good to see that it helped. By the way (to whoever made a comment pertaining to this) stretching is going to hurt a little. You can't get flexible if you don't push yourself. However, make sure that you are always careful and if it hurts too much then stop. Anyway, thanks people!
By cheating_fate Comments: 30, member since Sun Feb 01, 2004
On Wed May 19, 2004 07:43 PM
haha rock, i love it! thx
By nodoubt_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1510, member since Thu May 13, 2004
On Thu May 20, 2004 10:08 AM
Thanks! I'll try it!
By Danceprincess01 Comments: 860, member since Wed Sep 03, 2003
On Fri May 21, 2004 07:26 AM
thats a great stretch, I do that one in the morning and it def. helps improve your leg flex.
Great Post
By DancinChelie Comments: 358, member since Wed May 19, 2004
On Fri May 21, 2004 07:44 AM
o yea i love that stretch!
By LTownDancer245 Comments: 100, member since Fri May 21, 2004
On Fri May 21, 2004 03:53 PM
Thanks for the great stretch! It really did help me out! Im new to the site so please help me out! kenzie
By dancinditz07 Comments: 101, member since Sun May 23, 2004
On Sun May 23, 2004 06:24 PM
thats a great exercise! i do that with my dance team and my dance classes at the studio!
By Chepyl Comments: 2346, member since Mon May 03, 2004
On Mon May 24, 2004 08:46 PM
I would have to agree with FunkTapper that this stretch can be dangerous. You don't need to have someone else stretch you. You can do the stretch on your own by holding your ankle and pulling your leg toewards you. You should not be in pain while you stretch, you shouldbe relaxing, to much tension in the muscles your stretching can cause injuries.

It takes your muscles about 30 sec to relax while in any stretch, after they relax you will begin to increase your flexibility. My suggestion would be to select stretches that you can do on your own to work on your hamstrings, and hold each one for a minute. If you stretch in several positions holding each for a minute you will feel great, it's very relaxing (like getting a massage) and it will safely increase your flexibility.
and
By JoStar Comments: 236, member since Sat Dec 01, 2001
On Mon May 24, 2004 08:47 PM
always wear alot of lotion when stretching too.It helps!
By Dancin_girl07 Comments: 67, member since Sat May 22, 2004
On Tue May 25, 2004 11:28 AM
We do this stretch all the time in soccer and also during dress rehersal because my dance teacher has us do alot of kicks and turns that has us using our legs like rondejojs {sp?}
By sHaKeYobOOtaY Comments: 39, member since Wed May 26, 2004
On Thu May 27, 2004 10:56 AM
I love that stretch!! it hurts when you first start doing it but once you get more flexible it feels really good and relaxing! it helps your flexibility a whole lot too!!
-->hOllY
Page:
Page 1 of 181 2 3 4 5 6 14 15 16 17 18

ReplySendWatch