Forum: Advice / Pilates/Yoga

Pilates/Yoga
what IS Pilates? LOOK HERE! (karma: 5)
By pointe_fanatic Comments: 731, member since Sun Dec 21, 2003
On Thu May 06, 2004 10:36 PM
Made sticky by MIClogger (28613) on 2004-05-12 22:29:35

*PILATES*

Pilates was created by Joseph Pilates over 80 years ago. Initially popular with dancers and other performers, the Pilates method has become popular in the fitness world. Exercises performed on the floor, or on specialized equipment, Pilates coordinates mind, body and breath to develop sleek and functionally strong abdominal muscles, a strong and supple back, and aligns the shoulder girdle.

PILATES is beneficial for people of all ages, aptitudes and fitness levels, Pilates is more than a passing exercise trend.

Pilates conditions the body from head to toe with a no- to low-impact approach suitable for all ages and abilities. It requires patience and practice, but results will follow.

With time and dedication, Pilates practice can:

~Improve strength, flexibility and balance.

~Tone and build long, lean muscles without bulk.

~Challenge deep abdominal muscles to support the core.

~Engage the mind and enhance body awareness.

~Condition efficient patterns of movement making the body less prone to injury.

~Reduce stress, relieve tension, boost energy through deep stretching.

R~estore postural alignment.

~Create a stronger, more flexible spine.

~Promote recovery from strain or injury.

~Increase joint range of motion.

~Improve circulation.

~Heighten neuromuscular coordination.

~Offer relief from back pain and joint stress.

~Correct over-training of muscle groups which can lead to stress and injury.

~Enhance mobility, agility and stamina.

~Compliment sports training and develop functional fitness for daily life activity.

~Improve the way your body looks and feels.

Where to do pilates?

The best place to do the practise of pilates is at a pilates studio, HOWEVER, you can easily buy a excersie video of pilates, where you follow a set amount of floor pilates. Try amazon, they have lots of videos.
www.amazon.com . . .

I Encorage everyone to do pilates!! I do it and i LOVE it!!

I hope this helps people who dont know what pilates is, or dont know the benefits of pilates... :)

.:. Izz .:.

24 Replies to what IS Pilates? LOOK HERE!

re: what IS Pilates? LOOK HERE!
On Sat May 22, 2004 10:25 PM
Aww C'mon guys reply to me!!!
:( Izz :]
By momo17 Comments: 22, member since Fri Apr 23, 2004
On Sun Jun 06, 2004 01:20 PM
good information! so how do you jo so much?
On Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:31 PM
I basically looked at a few sites, asked my pialtes instuctor and used some of my own knowledge... :)
By Lost_cloudmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 48, member since Wed May 12, 2004
On Mon Jul 19, 2004 08:16 AM
thank you for this! I was always interested in Pilates, i think I might start! Thank you!
Luv
Lucie
X
By dancever Comments: 209, member since Sun Jul 18, 2004
On Mon Jul 19, 2004 09:19 AM
got to know more about pilates through this wonderful post. thanks!
Pilate Video
By naughtyangel89 Comments: 12, member since Tue Jul 20, 2004
On Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:20 PM
I have no money to spare to buy a pilates video, but I really want to try it. Would there be such videos at Blockbuster or something. Holla back!
By danceteamer247 Comments: 612, member since Sun Aug 10, 2003
On Tue Jul 27, 2004 04:07 PM
thanks! i always wanted to know specifically what pilates was! :D i have my first class tonight!good post!

*danceteamer247
On Fri Jul 30, 2004 05:46 AM
Hey thanks for all your comments guys, and to an above poster, im not really sure if you can get them at blokbuster....
By hyp3rn3ss Comments: 64, member since Thu Jun 03, 2004
On Fri Aug 06, 2004 01:25 AM
yep! ijust started taking it! its great.
By ballerina7 Comments: 462, member since Sat Mar 08, 2003
On Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:57 PM
thanks..i didnt know half the benefits...it really helped since im considering doing it, but because of time i dont know , because i dance avery afternoon and have classes in the mornings so ahhhh i dont know...but its great...excellent post! superb!!! ;) bye!
By CheerChickiemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 326, member since Thu Jun 12, 2003
On Tue Aug 28, 2007 04:56 PM
yeah, i don't think they have them at blockbuster, but the library near me has tons of videos...try something like that.
By danceprincess100 Comments: 25, member since Sat Jun 30, 2007
On Mon Oct 01, 2007 04:02 PM
so if you take dance is pilates better then yoga?
By mysticshoe Comments: 21, member since Tue Oct 02, 2007
On Fri Nov 16, 2007 06:58 PM
Thanks for the post. I really needed it as I was wondering what pilates is about. I shall go sign up for the course soon!
By HIPHOPCHICK09 Comments: 8, member since Sat Apr 18, 2009
On Thu Aug 20, 2009 04:15 PM
my sister wants to start pilates but do you think 14/15 is to young
By hannahgil Comments: 29, member since Fri Aug 13, 2010
On Sun Aug 29, 2010 02:53 PM
thanks for all the information.i am starting ballet again as an adult after a long absence and i signed up for three pilates classes a week to help me with my dance even though i wasn't really that sure what it was.i just heard it was really good for dancers.
By Jaffah Comments: 32, member since Tue Mar 29, 2011
On Fri May 06, 2011 07:58 PM
thanks SO much for the information you have put together!
i've been looking for something to do, and i think this might help with my equestrian vaulting (gymnastics on horseback) because my overall back, shoulder, arm and leg strength is horrible and i can't maintain a position on a moving horse due to my muscles not being able to handle the bounce...

i do have one question though... with technology updates and the "nintendo Wii", i have a game (it was free), called "new u: fitness first - yoga and pilates workout", and i was wondering if the game will help me to have the affects of an actual pilates class, or is it just a game that will be fun, and have no affects??
By hummingbird Comments: 10413, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Fri May 06, 2011 09:44 PM
Not a chance, you need an instructor who can explain/manipulate/cue if you don't understand, if you don't have that you won't know if you've got it right or not.

I've had several 'self taught' people through my Pilates classes and they really don't understand if they have it right or not. Most of them haven't properly understand the five basic principles of Pilates and without them you're just not doing it right and you won't benefit properly.
By kellyl0907 Comments: 24, member since Thu Aug 09, 2012
On Wed Aug 15, 2012 09:44 PM
Does pilates also help with weight loss? I've thought about trying it.
By oldballetdancer Comments: 21, member since Wed Aug 15, 2012
On Thu Aug 16, 2012 04:47 PM
What about some one with a mechanical knee? Cardiac issues?
I am guessing that you go at your own rate / pace? Just like anything else I guess. Was just wondering more about the knee thing though.
Dance till you can't
Peace
By adageacemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3982, member since Thu Sep 01, 2005
On Thu Aug 16, 2012 05:02 PM
A good teacher should be able to modify any exercises where the knee would be an issue, I would think.

Of course, I'm not an expert as I only recently started it myself... but my teacher does frequently tweak things for individuals in the class with particular physical issues.
By hummingbird Comments: 10413, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Fri Aug 17, 2012 04:03 PM
All of the exercises can be adapted to make them fit the client, that's what I like so much about the system. If you have a studio near you that has Reformer machines then there's a whole series of exercises for the lower body that certainly help with my poor abused knees.
By oldballetdancer Comments: 21, member since Wed Aug 15, 2012
On Tue Aug 28, 2012 07:16 PM
Hummingbird and Adagece thanks for the reply and yes all of that is true if the place that you go to is like a dolly dinkle ballet studio turn around and run out the door.
Once more thanks and have to get the old body back in some sort of order and may be even go back to the ballet studio who knows what might happen
dance till you can't
peace
By dancedance27 Comments: 39, member since Wed Oct 23, 2013
On Sun Nov 17, 2013 02:10 PM
I enjoyed this. I love to do Pilates and find it so much fun. Well, at least for me it is.
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4130, member since Mon Mar 08, 2010
On Sun Nov 17, 2013 03:48 PM
Great post. I've got a great DVD and there are some great programmes on youtube but they don't beat a proper lesson.

ReplySendWatch