Forum: General

Page:
Page 29 of 32: 1 2 3 4 5 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
re: VENT!!!The teacher's venting thread.....
By dancerrus
On Wed Feb 04, 2009 05:17 PM
This is so true -

I guess the best way is to stick to your guns and just not make exceptions - There are not enough hours - parents need to be patient and understanding and realize you are responsible for more than one child at a time. :)
By KangarooPawmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Feb 10, 2009 08:15 AM
Wow, how did I miss this thread??

Anyway, I have a few vents.
To my int/advanced 10-12 competition team (well, only about half of them, really):
Would it kill you to practice??? Some of you wonder why you're in the back, obviously I'm trying to hide you because you're lazy. When you start putting forth as much effort as the other half of your team does, you can be in the front too. It really irks me that you feel the need to stand around with bad posture after I teach you constantly during ballet about having good posture, and have lazy arms and feet when I force you to do it properly during ballet, and then teach you about applying ballet to other forms of dance. Obviously I'm not expecting perfection, but I'd appreciate it if you didn't come into class every week and ask the girls who DO practice to teach you the steps from the previous week. It's not fair to them, they shouldn't have to waste time re-teaching you something that you should have remembered and practiced on your own. You even have all your steps written down! How can you not remember them?! I give you every resource I can, and I go over things a thousand times. Thanks to your laziness, we're behind schedule. Well, guess what? I'm not waiting around for the 4 of you to pick up your own slack. I'm going on and finishing the dances, and you're going to have to suck it up and work harder. If you want to BE competitive students, and DO WELL, you have to ACT like competitive students.
By sunflowerdncrmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Feb 11, 2009 05:03 PM
s.o.,
I know you need business because things are slow. But when I don't give a class a treat because they didn't listen that day, don't ask "Why didn't they get a treat?"....it should be obvious; the observation window is right at your desk! Also don't tell me to give them one anyway....WHAT?!? Treats are to be earned for good behavior not used as a way to keep students from leaving to go somewhere else.

Also, don't ask me why I send kids out if they are not listening.It is not fair to the other kids who are listening to deal with a peer distracting them. I know props like hula hoops and balls are fun but they really need to be kept out of sight and off the floor because they are too temping for 2-3 y.o. If you were 3 would you rather play with a hula hoop or stand in a straight line?!? I was not hired to be a disiplinarian or a baby sitter.I was hired to TEACH! I know they are young but I know they can listen when they want to. Unlike you I have certain expectations for classroom behavior and basic rules that I insist everyone follows to the best of thier ability.

I get you are short students. But don't ask me to take a pay cut (50%!!!) then go to L.A. for three weeks then when you get back not come to the studio for a month. And quit changing the class schedule! Its gone back and forth so many times I'm not sure when its time to end anymore!!!!I now understand why you have so much instructor turnover and why I am the only instructor still with the studio for last year.

p.s. PAY ME ON TIME!!!!AND IN A TIMLY MANNER!!!!And don't get defensive when I call you about checks that are wrong...just fix it!
By Sumayah
On Sat Feb 14, 2009 01:14 AM
W2 from studio A, check! W2 from studio B, check! W2 from part time retail job, check! W2 from studio C... *sigh*

So, here's my long sad story. I worked for a crappy Dolly Dinkle studio (here-in referred to as Studio C) locally because we were having financial troubles and it was close by (less gas) and could give me tons of hours (as I was almost their only teacher). Well, always start with the positives first right? Well, I've heard that other studios who have gotten some of my "kids" from there have all commented on how amazing their ballet technique is. Score 1 for me. Also, three are pursuing ballet and want to do pointe because of me. Score 2 for me. And one of those girls just won first at a competition doing a self choreographed solo I helped edit/clean. Woot. So there's the good that came from me working at Studio C.

Here's the bad. Studio C started off as So-and-So's Dance Studio, then the owner decided she was done (broke, and couldn't keep the doors open) and sold the business to a non dancer whose children take there, but is a good businesswoman. So this is in fall of 2007. The owner goes off and sells the business in September but it isn't finalized until October. Guess who didn't get paid for Sept? Rule #1 - don't fork with someone's finances. Fork... or perhaps another word beginning and ending in those letters that you can't say on DDN, whatever. So I get a part time job because the money I didn't get for September meant the money we had saved for property taxes went to bills and then well, no money for property taxes.

Right. Well, shortly after this transaction a mini-crisis happened at the studio regarding the building, we were regulated to 1 studio. Okay, we can deal with this. Right. Sure. We put on a mini Nutcracker in 2.5 weeks times (choreography to performance) that I didn't fully get paid for which was, well, I thought it was awful but what can you do? It's not like I was given a heads up before then to do *anything* for it. So... 2008 rolls around and most of the studios here where I live are Sept-May semesters so changing studios in January wasn't an option. I work out breaking down what I should have been paid in Sept. into installments with my regular pay check. Fine, at least I'm getting the money I freaking earned.

Me and the studio manager (also a dancer) had sat down in Dec and picked out costumes and turned all the info and pricing and whatnot in to the owner for ordering for the recital which was a big long theme thing. I choose all the music and edit all the music. On my own time. So it fits the theme. So it's Feb now and I find out from the owner that a) the studio might be closing it's doors at the end of the month (causing me to speed up my new job hunt) and that b) the costumes hadn't been ordered. *deep breath* I found two prospective (and highly regarded studios) who wanted me come June. Great, just have to make it til June!

The studio doesn't close. But the studio owner decides not to order costumes until *APRIL*. ... WHAT??????? Recital is in May. No, not stressed out. I'm not having to almost single handedly pull a recital together from nothing. The studio manager and I spent countless hours of our time nailing down a theatre (which the original SO had booked but the new SO unbooked because it was too expensive not knowing you book a year in advance at least) and figuring out picture solutions and trophies and flowers and it ended up in the general purpose room at an elementary school. No back drop. No stage lights. No dressing rooms (we got to use the music room behind the stage). Furious parents. Silently seething teacher who is trying her darndest to get thru this so she can leave this nightmare behind.

June. Goodbye Studio C, hope to never deal with you again! Ahhhhh the organization and structure of Studio A and Studio B, my happy goes up. I do end up working a couple summer camp for Studio C because of the studio director. I get paid for the week I taught except it bounces. And even after contacting the SO I never received compensation for that check. My hubby and I resign ourselves to just letting it go and being done with Studio C permanently. It was only a couple hundred dollars, in the grand scheme of things it's not that much. /headdesk In September I hear Studio C is closed for unknown reasons and then the website disappears. Okay. Glad I got out when I did, feel bad for the current teachers and studio manager who got fired for bogus reasons.

Happy at my current jobs, give little thought to Studio C until my hubby asks for my W2. Yeah. I've called to SO and she called back but I missed her call so I called and left a message again. I e-mailed her but the e-mail got bounced back because her account is full. Gonna call tomorrow. I was an employee and my paystubs show I was having my taxes taken out but since she's being evasive I'm wondering if she actually turned that money into the government. Which goes back to Rule #1: DON'T FORK WITH PEOPLE'S FINANCES!!!!!! So now I'm left wondering if we're going to have to cover the taxes that were supposedly taken out of my paycheck which is going to financially screw us over yet again. Rawr!!!!! This is not my fault and I want it fixed and frankly if I don't hear back from her by Monday I'm going to the police because it's now a crime. I should have had my W2 by the end of January and it's mid Feb. She has broken the law and if I don't get my W2 then all kinds of wrath shall be dealt out upon her. I don't anger easily but this is ridiculous! Feel somewhat better having vented but I'll feel much better once I know the situation.

Thanks for sitting thru that. I know it's a lot to read and I'm really censoring myself, haha. It might have been more entertaining that way.
On Sat Feb 14, 2009 02:08 PM
Yeah, I have another vent. Sue me.

This time to the other teacher (not the SO, but the other staff teacher):
Don't bitch because your kids aren't competing...you teach BEGINNERS. They're nowhere near ready to be thrown into competition. Also, who gave you your ballet education? What on earth are you teaching those kids? A tendu derriere does not consist of crumpled feet, not pointed, facing entirely the wrong way, droopy arm position, poor posture...no wonder the SO gets so frustrated when he watches you teach. He even had you watch him teach the advanced ballet class, and spoke to you several times... what's the problem? No wonder when they come up to my class they're freaking out. Your job is to prepare them to move up to my classes, and my job is to prepare them for the SO and the advanced classes...is that so hard? I do my part! What are you doing? Not much!

When you get your hours cut and I gain them, I hope you realize you could do better. Just because youre older than me by 2 or 3 years does NOT mean you know more than me. Clearly I teach competitive kids and you don't for a reason. It really bothers me also because you teach one of my sisters and she isn't gaining anything from taking class with you. She'd benefit much more taking ballet from me. You never correct those kids- never have them tuck their stomachs and butts under, never fix their feet or arms, you hardly even give them counts in their choreography, and then you get mad that they're not together in their dances! HELLO???

Ugh. It annoys me when people are lazy in their teaching. Seriously.
By Sumayah
On Tue Mar 10, 2009 01:49 PM
I don't want to go teach classes tonight. Spring break is next week and everyone, including me, has already mentally checked out. My classes last night were fine, I'm using "fun" music to help liven up their attention spans but honestly I'm sitting here at home in my jammies wanting to go turn on my Xbox360 and just play and veg out for a bit. Rawr. Into my leo and tights I go... *sigh*
By ms_tiffy
On Tue Mar 10, 2009 02:11 PM
Sumayah wrote:

I don't want to go teach classes tonight. Spring break is next week and everyone, including me, has already mentally checked out. My classes last night were fine, I'm using "fun" music to help liven up their attention spans but honestly I'm sitting here at home in my jammies wanting to go turn on my Xbox360 and just play and veg out for a bit. Rawr. Into my leo and tights I go... *sigh*

i'm so there....but for some reason my students feel that spring break is 2 weeks instead of one. half of my students have not been to class this week and it's only tuesday. i called one of my older students to ask why she wasn't in class and her reply was "spring break is next week! duh!"

guess i'm the one confused.
By lmtdance
On Tue Mar 10, 2009 03:10 PM
I am feeling hugely burned out! I can't choreograph, I can't remember what I have choreographed from one week to the next, There are days when I just want to stay at home and not go to the studio. I'm in an artistic funk. I don't feel like I am the same teacher I was 10 years ago... Anyone else out there feeling me?
By HeyRedPremium member
On Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:23 AM
Sometimes I just want to strangle parents!

*If your child is misbehaving during observation and you SEE IT - reprimand them!

*I am not making up these costume prices. That's what the manufacturer wants for them.

*When I say the competition registration form hand in deadline is by the 24th, I do not mean the 25th, 26th, 27th, or the week after.

*No, I cannot change competition dates.

*No, I cannot schedule the recital around your family's vacation time.

*If you want your child to compete, yes you need to pay fees, buy shoes, buy costumes, and reserve a hotel room stay for a night or two. If you do not want to do that, and are not willing to participate in fundraisers, there's nothing I can do for you.

*You need to bring your children to every class (illness or death excused). Don't be appalled when they look like CRAP on stage or at competition - and don't blame ME - because they missed x amount of classes.

*Do NOT say "I want my child to have a solo." That is NOT your decision! Your child needs to EARN a solo. Asking me repeatedly over the span of four months will not change my answer. I don't work that way.

*When I tell you to style your child's hair a certain way for competition, do not show up with something completely different and say "it just didn't look right" or "I didn't know how to do it." That's why we take time BEFORE the event to explain what to do. That's what the other parents in your child's group are for (yes, all 16 of them!)

*When we are at competition, and you know I have to worry about 100 routines, do not come up to me and tell me so and so's hair is wrong or so and so won't do this or where is so and so or what am i supposed to do about x. Are you kidding me?!

Ok. I feel momentarily better.
By TrayDance
On Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:39 AM
Ah, a message for the crazy parent that ruined my year:

Yes, I know your daughter is very sensitive about being developed for her age, however, in my class, she is learning to overcome that. So when you come into the makeup and hair demonstration saying inappropriate things (something about her brother causing problems at home???? hello????) and complaining about the makeup (yes, it is alot, but it's only for the stage) and hair (yes, your child has to have a ballet bun, and yes, you can do it if you try), it really isn't helpful...

And when she looks in the mirror (after you've primed the pump)and has a meltdown in front of the other students and parents, it would help me out alot if you took the initiative to get her under control (as you have so often said she has issues and being the parent you would know how to deal with that best). I apologize for having to do the verbal equivalent of a slap across the face to get her back back under control, but honestly she was scaring the others and me.

And thank you for taking the time to call my supervisor and complain about me without mentioning the rest of the story. I understand you won't be back next year. Is that what happened at the studio you were at before??? I'll bet they were just as insensitive there.... Sometimes they don't pay you enough to do this job....
On Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:31 PM
I have a nice vent for a grandparent. Don't be fooled, she isn't a nice, little old lady. She's a crazy B****.

So this one kid, who coincidentally is the worst, but has the most years of dance under her belt, needs the most work, has missed the most classes, and has the worst attitude comes in the other day. She tells me "my grandma needs to talk to you" so I go out into the lobby.

This woman FLIPPED OUT. She said "K has had diarrhea all day, and she threw up 3 times, but she's still here because of YOUR sick policy." -In the nastiest tone you can think of.

I say, "First of all, I don't make up the rules and policies here, I'm not the SO. Second of all, the SO and I BOTH tell ALL the kids that if they're throwing up they DO need to stay home." Then I look over at K (the kid) and say "You knew that for a fact and so did your sister and your mother, if you're throwing up you stay home." She just looks at me with a guilty face. Which tells me she lied to her grandmother.

So the the grandmother keeps going, leaning over the front desk almost in my face. She says things like "Well, I don't agree with your policies here. The SO needs to rethink some of his policies for next year. I think if they're too sick for school they're too sick for dance. etc etc etc."

So I tell her that a)the policies aren't changing and b)not all parents feel that way, in fact I only know of 2 in the entire studio that do feel that way.

So then she goes on (and repeats this several times throughout her little hissy fit) that "Well, now you and all of your kids and everyone who walks into this studio have been exposed to the virus." -Um, hello, dramatic much??

She also decided to keep getting in my face about how she doesn't agree with policies, and that even if they have the sniffles, they should stay home. SNIFFLES??? really???

I finally said "You know what? I don't deserve to have you coming in here getting in my face and lecturing me. I've done nothing wrong. I do my job and enforce the policies and rules like I'm supposed to. I don't need this." And she says "I'm not lecturing you!" ...so then MY grandmother (who was there to drop my sister off, and she stayed when she heard this grandparent getting nasty with me) says "what would you call it then? bitching her out for no reason?" and leaves. Go grandma.

So then I tell the SO and he speaks with said grandparent when she returns to pick up K. Who, by the way, sat through ballet texting people after I repeatedly asked her to at least pay attention to what we were doing, then proceeded to go into the break room with the other girls when it was breaktime and start jumping around, having a grand old time, laughing, acting normal. Until one of the girls said "K, I thought you were sick?"- then she sat down and sulked until she got picked up, which was 3 hours early, because she came up to me at the end of ballet and said "Um, I feel about 10% worse. I need to call my grandma and go home."

Okay, really? 10%? Who says that?

So when her grandmother came to pick her up, the SO pulled her into his office and spoke with her for a good 25-30 minutes about what she said. THEN she tried to say that she never got in my face and never said she didn't agree with his policies and that he needed to rethink them, and he told her to quit lying and then showed her the entire conversation we had- on the security tape, sound and all. HA. TAKE THAT PSYCHO LADY.

Stay out of my face! In fact, don't even come near me again. I am tired of you and your poor attitude all the time. No wonder this kid has a bad attitude. She probably gets it from you. And from now on, I'd appreciate it if I spoke with her actual MOTHER when something comes up concerning the kid. I'm not speaking with you again.

Oh, and to the kid, don't come back next year. Please. You make my job so much harder than it should have to be because you never practice and then you get embarrassed when everyone else does a step perfectly fine by themselves but you don't even know what the step is supposed to BE when it's your turn. And if you do come back, sorry, but you're moving way down in level. I can't deal with you. You give me a headache. And don't lie about being sick ever again. Obviously jumping around the break room laughing your face off means you're NOT sick, just lazy.
By long_time_dancer
On Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:02 PM
Nearly went off my head at class yesterday (but refrained from doing so)
1st class of the day is a Pre School class of around 7, 3-4yr olds- beautiful, cute, happy group with a 'slight' attention problem (who doesnt have at 3 & 4).
We have a parent viewing policy which is that family and friends are welcome to view class on the last lesson of each term.
So yesterday one students mum and her grand father are sitting in watching class while all the other parents are in the waiting room.
I mentioned that there was tea and coffee in the waiting area *hint, hint* and still no movement from either of them.
So i then explained that we have a last lesson of every term viewing policy to which she replied 'my dad is here to see her'.
hmmm no sh!t sherlock!
I re explained that other parents get upset that they cannot watch and she told me "look, he has come a long way and is here to see her dance".
I again said i understand that and dont have a problem with that but most people with interstate relatives that have come to visit would call or ask if it was ok first.
She then got very snappy and said 'well it was a suprise'.
She just kept on sitting there with him and didnt budge all lesson.
I couldnt do anything so had to put up with it
GRRRR
By ibteachin
On Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:47 PM
Things I wish I could say to my advanced class:

1) You're not so advanced that you don't need to be in class on time.
2) Turn your cell phone OFF, not on vibrate. I will take it from you. No kidding.
3) Tampons cost money, my money, to be specific. Get your parents to get you your own stuff, and have it with you at all times. By the time you are 17, you should know how to be prepared for feminine emergencies.
4) Speaking of which, you got depressed and your bust got weirdly big because you are taking birth control pills. It's not a mystery. Read the PI sheet.
5) Stop looking at me like I killed your puppy when I remove you from a number. You weren't here for three classes in a row. No one knew where you were. We reset the dance. Maybe you and your parents will communicate better next time.
6) Yes, I did, in fact, choose that costume color because it is the most unflattering to your particular skin tone and hair. It took me a while.
7) Is it real pain? Or just discomfort? Really? Do you think you can still dance with that hangnail, or should I call 911?
8) Susie and Katie, I know you haven't seen each other in two whole hours, but... shut up! Try it. See how relaxed your jaw feels? Strange, I know.
9) If you are going out of town for vacation during recital weekend, don't come back. I have nothing else to say to you, ever, ever again.
10) Let me get this straight: You can email, upload, download, text, tweet, and tag all of your friends in the facebook note "25 random things about me," but you still can't make a phone call to tell me you'll miss rehearsal? Really?

Okay. I feel better. Thanks.
On Wed Apr 22, 2009 01:04 PM
I am SO TIRED of working for "studios" who don't treat it like a business.Where parents and kids run amuck and there is no disipline or backbone.Or where the S.O. has no dance experiance, or business experiance either. I mean do people really wake up one day and are like "You know, I am going to open a dance studio today!"?!?! People really need to think about opening a studio. You need some major cash,patience,vision,hope, but most of all dance experiance and common sense.Don't open a studio in the middle of nowhere and expect it to be an easy ride because its not! It takes years to build up stable clientle. It takes years to get solid staff in place. Its takes years to make profit when starting from scratch. Deal with it as an adult and stay in for the long haul. If you can't deal then close or sell. Some miracles require blood,sweat, and tears. Being an owner is one. Deal or get out.
By TwinkletoesRebel
On Thu Apr 23, 2009 07:08 AM
Ok, I have had a very trying month. My daughter, who is special needs got up one night, broke the lock on my sliding door and left the house at 3:00 a.m. We searched and thank God, we found her. She was on her way to her friend's house.

Then, a student who is in university, had a meltdown in class screaming and yelling at me about how important her schooling is and how stupid competition, the studio, the show and all her fellow dancers are. She grew nastier with every hysterics and finally, I told her that's enough and you need to go (into the change room) and calm down. She chose to leave the studio, call her friend, who also dances, and cry and blubber to her and her parents. All this was brought on when she suddenly announced that she had to write an exam during competition. She has known this for weeks but left it for two weeks before competition to tell us, and she really didn't just talk to me, she snapped and threw it out there for all of us to be shocked by her behavior. This is a girl I taught for nine years. The things she said about her classmates was terrible, especially when they all thought she was their friend. If she'd calmed down for two minutes and given me a day to sort things out, I would have managed to change times to accommodate her schedule, and the people in charge of competition confirmed this. But no, instead she gets her parents involved. Her mother calls my home, not my studio, and screams and yells at my husband. He keeps hanging up and she keeps calling. She claims that her daughter was kicked out by me, not true, and that everyone who witnessed her meltdown is lying because her precious daughter wouldn't do such a thing. She's perfect after all. Then she shows up with her husband unannounced and thinks she can get a credit on her huge account she's not paid for costumes that her daughter has not used and will not use. Keep in mind, I never kicked this dancer out of my studio, I merely told her to go and calm down. She didn't like this and had a snit over being "managed" in class in front of her peers after embarrassing herself completely. She was ridiculous and acted two instead of 18. So she felt she couldn't come back and made up a slew of lies to her parents. Her leaving was her daughter's choice. I feel that the costumes are hers and refuse to give credit for them. She was told she could come back and finish her year and perform in the recital. But that would mean, she'd have to face all the students she said horrible things to.

Then mommy tells me that she should still get the teaching and assisting discount. This girl did neither and the rule is that if they do not fulfill the obligations attached to the discount, the discount is recinded. So she's fuming over the loss her daughter has given her but blames me for everything. After all, her daughter is perfect.

That being said, we attended a competition without this dancer after fixing all the dances the student would have been in. It resulted in hours of extra work and my time wasted redoing what was already done. At competition, we did okay. Then on the last day, another student creates issues. Throughout competition, apparently her boyfriend was recording our dances with his phone. I didn't know this, but all my students were telling him to stop. They came to me and told me what was happening, and I sat down with him and told him to stop and that if he got caught, we could be disqualified. He said he wouldn't get caught. Well... he did. And we were penalized 5 points off our score for the dance he was recording. They took his phone. Later, they gave it back. I asked "why?" I felt they should have kept it.

I was incredibly angry, not at the competition, but at him and his girlfriend, my student. Then I find out that this student was also recording dances and taking pictures. I cannot express how angry I was, but I left the auditorium, afraid I would do something or say something horrible, and went and spoke to the people in the tech booth and explained that this idiot did this on his own. They completely understood, but didn't know how else to deal with the filming issue. We accepted the punishment but feel that we were punished for something out of our hands. So at the next competition, I'm going to inform the people who run it about this boyfriend since he's going to be there again. I can't stop this boyfriend from being there but we absolutely do not want him to record anything. This is his doing all on his own.

The student was told that he is not welcomed to sit with our school and I do not expect her to be sitting with him or associating with him. Apparently, she is going to be there with him and do what she pleases because I have no control over her. The next step is to kick her out of competition and the show. I am so upset over this whole thing. All the years spent building a reputation and some %*&^*%&&%$@#@ hormonal pubescent idiot is ruining everything.

Teens today are not worth teaching. I've had more problems with them this year and even worse problems from their greedy know-it-all parents, than I have with all my other students over the 25 years I've been teaching. All the things I've done for the parents so that their kids could dance... But no more. Now they're mad because they won't be getting anymore discounts.

I've lost sleep over all this mess and cried until I can't anymore, and can't wait until the show is over. Kids today are out of control and have no care for anyone else but themselves. I am thinking of accepting a job with the school board so I don't have to take this crap from these self-centered, selfish and self-absorbed teens. What has happened to good parenting lately, because these kids are getting worse.

Ok, thanks for allowing me to vent. Maybe I'll sleep tonight.
By TwinkletoesRebel
On Thu Apr 23, 2009 07:10 AM
Ok, I have had a very trying month. My daughter, who is special needs got up one night, broke the lock on my sliding door and left the house at 3:00 a.m. We searched and thank God, we found her. She was on her way to her friend's house.

Then, a student who is in university, had a meltdown in class screaming and yelling at me about how important her schooling is and how stupid competition, the studio, the show and all her fellow dancers are. She grew nastier with every hysterics and finally, I told her that's enough and you need to go (into the change room) and calm down. She chose to leave the studio, call her friend, who also dances, and cry and blubber to her and her parents. All this was brought on when she suddenly announced that she had to write an exam during competition. She has known this for weeks but left it for two weeks before competition to tell us, and she really didn't just talk to me, she snapped and threw it out there for all of us to be shocked by her behavior. This is a girl I taught for nine years. The things she said about her classmates was terrible, especially when they all thought she was their friend. If she'd calmed down for two minutes and given me a day to sort things out, I would have managed to change times to accommodate her schedule, and the people in charge of competition confirmed this. But no, instead she gets her parents involved. Her mother calls my home, not my studio, and screams and yells at my husband. He keeps hanging up and she keeps calling. She claims that her daughter was kicked out by me, not true, and that everyone who witnessed her meltdown is lying because her precious daughter wouldn't do such a thing. She's perfect after all. Then she shows up with her husband unannounced and thinks she can get a credit on her huge account she's not paid for costumes that her daughter has not used and will not use. Keep in mind, I never kicked this dancer out of my studio, I merely told her to go and calm down. She didn't like this and had a snit over being "managed" in class in front of her peers after embarrassing herself completely. She was ridiculous and acted two instead of 18. So she felt she couldn't come back and made up a slew of lies to her parents. Her leaving was her daughter's choice. I feel that the costumes are hers and refuse to give credit for them. She was told she could come back and finish her year and perform in the recital. But that would mean, she'd have to face all the students she said horrible things to.

Then mommy tells me that she should still get the teaching and assisting discount. This girl did neither and the rule is that if they do not fulfill the obligations attached to the discount, the discount is recinded. So she's fuming over the loss her daughter has given her but blames me for everything. After all, her daughter is perfect.

That being said, we attended a competition without this dancer after fixing all the dances the student would have been in. It resulted in hours of extra work and my time wasted redoing what was already done. At competition, we did okay. Then on the last day, another student creates issues. Throughout competition, apparently her boyfriend was recording our dances with his phone. I didn't know this, but all my students were telling him to stop. They came to me and told me what was happening, and I sat down with him and told him to stop and that if he got caught, we could be disqualified. He said he wouldn't get caught. Well... he did. And we were penalized 5 points off our score for the dance he was recording. They took his phone. Later, they gave it back. I asked "why?" I felt they should have kept it.

I was incredibly angry, not at the competition, but at him and his girlfriend, my student. Then I find out that this student was also recording dances and taking pictures. I cannot express how angry I was, but I left the auditorium, afraid I would do something or say something horrible, and went and spoke to the people in the tech booth and explained that this idiot did this on his own. They completely understood, but didn't know how else to deal with the filming issue. We accepted the punishment but feel that we were punished for something out of our hands. So at the next competition, I'm going to inform the people who run it about this boyfriend since he's going to be there again. I can't stop this boyfriend from being there but we absolutely do not want him to record anything. This is his doing all on his own.

The student was told that he is not welcomed to sit with our school and I do not expect her to be sitting with him or associating with him. Apparently, she is going to be there with him and do what she pleases because I have no control over her. The next step is to kick her out of competition and the show. I am so upset over this whole thing. All the years spent building a reputation and some %*&^*%&&%$@#@ hormonal pubescent idiot is ruining everything.

Teens today are not worth teaching. I've had more problems with them this year and even worse problems from their greedy know-it-all parents, than I have with all my other students over the 25 years I've been teaching. All the things I've done for the parents so that their kids could dance... But no more. Now they're mad because they won't be getting anymore discounts.

I've lost sleep over all this mess and cried until I can't anymore, and can't wait until the show is over. Kids today are out of control and have no care for anyone else but themselves. I am thinking of accepting a job with the school board so I don't have to take this crap from these self-centered, selfish and self-absorbed teens. What has happened to good parenting lately, because these kids are getting worse.

Ok, thanks for allowing me to vent. Maybe I'll sleep tonight.
By ms_tiffy
On Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:42 PM
it pisses me off that people can miss class not because of illness, or work, or something that holds some type of merit, but because, "we want to go out to eat"! are you effin serious? the recital is 2 weeks away!!!! 2 weeks!!!! i am so mad!!!!
By BrooklyndancePremium member
On Fri Apr 24, 2009 05:57 AM
GRRRRRR!!

REALLY? You think it is okay to change the contents of 2 entire shows 3 weeks before the first show? I was told that certain ages were performing on one day, and others on a different day and yesterday, they totally switched it!!! HELLO!!!!! Now some pieces will be stronger by the show, but others have no chance of being good.

I can't wait to open up my own studio and never do anything like this to my staff!
By taps2much
On Sat Apr 25, 2009 02:30 PM
I was running a few mins late because i got in a car accident on my way to work( i still got to class with 2 mins to spare). A teenage student took it upon herself to tell everyone there was no class and sent them all home(because someone who had no idea what they were talking about, a tour guide at our historic location told her that there wasn't class). She was coming in for a makeup lesson THIS WASN't EVEN HER CLASS. How dare she take it upon herself to send my class home. UUUUgh! Appearantly assisting with babies two hours a week gives you the right to step on the dance directors toes!
By sciencedancer
On Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:35 PM
DO NOT call the studio to leave me a message and say, "yeah we broke our hair tie for the recital and need to have one for pictures so I will just let you get on it." Go to a craft store and figure it out. DO not come with your hand out saying I broke this give me a new one. Figure it out for yourself.

And Finally do not tell me the last dance class of the year that you will be missing dress rehearsal for a soccer game! That is unacceptable!
By Sumayah
On Mon Apr 27, 2009 03:13 PM
Parents. Rawr. So we had our dress rehearsal yesterday... I spent 9 hours at the theatre, but no biggie, that's part and parcel of a recital (I ridiculously sore from running around cement floors for 9 hours but nothing a vicodin and a muscle relaxer can't fix - gogo left over pills from a back injury). My first class out is an adorable 3year group, a mess on stage but absolutely adorable regardless - costumes are perfect and the stage mom rocks.

My second class. Oh my second class. The costume I picked is precious. The class is 4+5 years old and they're dancing to Miss Piggy. The costume is a babydoll style hot pink super sparkly short dress that is precious. So at dress rehearsal I'm accosted by a mom who thinks the dress is too small for their child. Mmmhmm, like I'd let one of my kids go out onstage in a dress that was too small. The child in question is tall for her age but it's all legs, her torso is still small child size and since most costumes are based on girth, the costume fits beautifully, it just looks a bit short, big deal. It still covers everything it's supposed to cover. But no this mom is beyond happy and I think the only that would have made her happy was for me to wave a magic wand and have the skirt grow about 4 inches so it covers her knees. *rolls eyes*

Because that's what I want to deal with at dress rehearsal. An irate mom who is being stupid over the length of the skirt on her pre-schoolers costume. Thanks, now my already long day just got longer.

Happily my SO has spoken with the mom and they're getting something arranged but even my SO just called me and said, yeah that mom's a brat and frankly if what she's doing doesn't make her happy then she can leave because that's not the kind of parent she wants in her studio for the next 10 years. Go my SO! *heart*
On Mon Apr 27, 2009 07:01 PM
Students:
I understand you have chorus/band/honor society/drama club whatever.I understand that dance is one of many activities for most people. But we have 4 classes left. And still have 20-30 seconds to choreograph.You are big girls. Next week don't expect me to teach you the new stuff we learned today. Ask your classmates. You'll have to do double-duty next week and learn 2 weeks of choreo. in one. By all means have fun at your concert! But please be prepared to work when you come back.
By Footprints1
On Tue Apr 28, 2009 02:27 PM
Parents,

Please don't help yourself to turning on the monitoring system. It is once a month just as it has been all year long. Because of you, the system has been disconnected until the end of the year!!! It is obnoxious and rude to do this!!!!
By TwinkletoesRebel
On Wed Apr 29, 2009 06:14 AM
1. Do not push your child into my ballet class while they are still in attendance and finishing their reverence and then tell me that you want your money's worth since you paid for a full hour. Then you find out that your watch is wrong... and what? no apology???

2. Do not stand in my lobby on your soapbox and bash the teacher who is spending time with your child teaching her in the next room and then put on a smile and pretend she's your new best friend when class is over and she enters the lobby.

3. Do not help yourself to things in our $2.00 bin and say you'll bring the money in next week and never do.

4. The rules of the studio apply to all equally, do not expect more for your princess for free. This is a business not a charity.

5. Do not tell a teacher bad things about another teacher that you have nothing to do with.

6. You want what you paid for? So I want to be paid for my time. So does that mean I should charge you for all the extra time I put into your child's class at home when I could be spending time with my family, running around for your child to get her pins when everyone else remembers theirs? Spend over an hour at recital time on your child so that she understands everything since she's new?

7. The costumes are cheap? Ok, you show me a place where I can get costumes that will please you, then you make sure they are within the cheap budget you parents all want me to follow.

8. Stop comparing me to other studios. As far as I know their doors open just like mine do. So why don't you go there and give them a try? No?

Arrrg!
By BrooklyndancePremium member
On Wed May 20, 2009 10:38 PM
WOW! I overheard a fellow teacher telling a student of mine to take the classes I teach at another studio so she can take all of the ballet classes at our studio in that time slot instead! WHAT?? our paycheck depends on the number of students we have, but also this girl only takes ballet for technique help - she is a musical theatre girl who needs jazz, theatre dance, turns and leaps and lyrical.

I will never teach with this studio again - i cannot wait until the year is over
Page:
Page 29 of 32: 1 2 3 4 5 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

ReplySendWatch