Forum: General

Page:
Page 31 of 32: 1 2 3 4 5 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
re: VENT!!!The teacher's venting thread.....
By DancingDivaSCPremium member
On Wed Jul 20, 2011 07:19 AM
I'm soooo sick of GOSSIP!! And no matter how hard I try to stop it I can't control it. And stupid parents are the ones feeding the kids. I want to scream at all of them GROW THE BLANK UP!!! And another thing...don't come complaining to me that so and so said this and hurt your feeling if you're not willing tell me who the so and so is. I can't fix it if you won't tell me who said it and I know you won't tell me because then they will tell me crap you said. I am trying to run a business (which is mine to run and not yours BTW) and don't have time to meet with you every time your feelings are hurt or your don't like my policies. Good grief you're 45 years old. Deal with it!!!

I don't have kids but know I could do better job than some of these parents I see. Note to parents: YOUR JOB ISN'T TO BE YOUR CHILDS BEST FRIEND, IT'S TO TRAIN YOUR CHILD. And here's a new idea, they learn from example.

*sigh*.....And now I'm done!
By bagpuss912
On Wed Jul 27, 2011 03:36 PM
Oh my god love this!!
1. why do parents insist on nagging me about their kids moving up ( its normally the weakest of dancers who's parents do this ) I mean what would I know, only been teaching 20 years!
2. kids chewing gum wearing jeans, ooh MOBILE PHONES in class grrrr
3. parents complaining about cost of costumes for shows but when kids dont do shows threatening to take them else where!
could go on and on!
By DancingDivaSCPremium member
On Tue Aug 16, 2011 06:37 AM
bagpuss912 wrote:

Oh my god love this!!
3. parents complaining about cost of costumes for shows but when kids dont do shows threatening to take them else where!
could go on and on!

Seriously! But these same parents have no problem dropping $50-80 on a halloween costume that will be worn once. Yet a recital costume is sooo expensive. Weird?
By taps2much
On Wed Aug 31, 2011 02:23 PM
You child took "ballet" from 3-9 years old and took a two year break.I worked with your child this summer during a summer camp, her posture is not correct, she can't maintain turn out, can not complete a single pirouette. She is at the same level as some of my 7/8 year-olds (though a few of them are much further beyond). You would now like to enroll her in my intermediate contemporary class. She's not ready for my intermediate ballet class which is required for enrollment in that contemporary class. Your daughter is lovely to work with and a delightful young lady, but it doesn't change the fact that the kids in that class have worked their butts off for at least 3 years taking ballet up to 3 hours a week during the year and up to five days a week during the summer (not including most of their classes in jazz, tap and musical theatre). I can't just give her a one time "refresher" like you asked me to do. I can't refresh her memory with information that she never learned because she quit at 9 from her 1 hour a week class.

I would love to work with your daughter, but she has to be willing to put in the work like the others did and are still doing.
By RileyA
On Thu Sep 01, 2011 05:47 AM
1. How is it a good idea for a parent to play tag with her children in the waiting room. What is this Mum even thinking!

2. What do you actually think we are going to be doing in class when you send your child to acro with their hair out?

3. Why don't parents teach kids commitment anymore, when I was young if you wanted to quit something your parents would say "wait until the term is over" or "you have made a commitment for this year you can choose to do something else next year". Not "oh well, my kid doesn't want to do it anymore so we are stopping" then two month later the kid changes their mind and they are back, just show up and expect there to still be a place in the class.

4. How is it that a kid can turn up to less than half of the rehearsals and classes and still expect to be in the show or the competition?
By GetRhythmmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Sep 01, 2011 02:31 PM
RileyA wrote:

3. Why don't parents teach kids commitment anymore, when I was young if you wanted to quit something your parents would say "wait until the term is over" or "you have made a commitment for this year you can choose to do something else next year". Not "oh well, my kid doesn't want to do it anymore so we are stopping" then two month later the kid changes their mind and they are back, just show up and expect there to still be a place in the class.

Amen! I say this ALL THE TIME. My mother never let me quit anything halfway. She'd always say, "Ok. If you don't want to take ballet anymore, you need to finish out the year, and then you can try something different." And you know what happened? I finished out the year and decided I loved ballet and have been doing (and teaching) it ever since!

The other problem is that parents stretch their kids out way too thinly. They have cheerleading on Monday, gymnastics on Tuesday, voice on Wednesday, etc. And then they wonder why their kid sucks at everything. You can't perfect an art if you never have time for any one of them.
By busyteach5678
On Thu Sep 01, 2011 02:51 PM
GREAT THREAD!!!! I would love to print this and hang it everywhere in my studio. I have a couple of things too:
1. This studio is a business, I do not pocket all of the money you pay.
*I do contemplate pricing because I am not made of money either, I have to pay my own bills as well as business bills with that money.
2. Just because your child is a senior member of the team doesn''t mean you get to make decisions.
* Yes some things change from year to year, but I am not going to do something because you and you alone want it that way, there are other members I have to consider. So stop shouting things out at parent meetings, nobody wants to hear your comments anymore.
By kaylietess
On Thu Sep 01, 2011 06:07 PM
Yes, Christmas auditions were last week ( as was stated in the four emails you received); I'm very sorry you just haven't had time to register. No, she still won't get a part in the show and no, I will not explain to her why not. I'M NOT the one that dropped the ball!
By BrashDancer
On Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:20 PM
Edited by BrashDancer (114496) on 2011-09-01 23:26:19 One more thing
Any one else seem to have the parents who think we make it our life's goal to personally attack their child? I seriously have a boat load of parents who think by not putting their dancer in an audition piece, giving her a correction or telling her for the 4th week on a row that hair must be in a bun that I am only doing so to degrade and attack her dancers little feelings. COME ON!!

I love my studio and teaching and I have it on my mind all the time, but I also have a life. Calling /texting me at 11:30pm on a Sunday night is unacceptable. I don't call you at those hours! And don't act offended if you call me on my PERSONAL cell phone and I wait till I get to the studio to call you on the STUDIO phone.

So you want your dancer to take every class, in every dance, go to every competition but.... You don't want to pay for it?? Gotcha

Yes I really did mean it when I said this rehearsal was mandatory, and yes I did mean it when I said anyone not in attendance would be spaced out. You didn't believe me? Well... You'll know better next time.

This is my studio, my class, my policies, if you don't like it you are free to leave. But you do not get to tell me how a dance studio should be run, you're a realtor.

I understand that I don't have any kids of own, however I am not trying to be their parent. Never ever did I say bring your kids to my studio, I want to raise them all!! That's your job, my job is to educate and instruct them in dance. I'll do my job, you do yours.
hhhh this could go on and on.
By RileyA
On Sat Sep 03, 2011 01:51 AM
Kids need to learn they can't to everything. Don't you love it when they reach the age of 16 and decide they want to do dance, and cheerleading and gymnastics, and have a boyfriends, and be involved in the school dance team and then attend 50% of the classes and expect that to be ok.

Or when a parent comes to pay for the term and says "well, we'll be missing more than half the classes for this term, so do we just deduct them off the bill or will you give us a credit?"

Or the parent of the kid who is away 2 weeks a month asks when her child is moving up.

Or when the kids come in after school and sit down to an afternoon tea of chocolate, chips and a can of coke. Then wonder why their kid ended up sitting out of class for poor behavior.

hehe I have to laugh when a parent comes in and says "we are going to have this term off because she just needs and break, we all need a break". I ask "oh so you are you going to try another activity", "no, no they just need a break". All the kid does is take one 45 minute class a week and they need a break!
By akn
On Wed Mar 21, 2012 09:45 AM
perfect. well said. agreed!
By taps2much
On Fri Jun 01, 2012 01:18 AM
Please understand that all I truly want is for your child to grow and be the best dancer he/she can be. When I don't cast them in a certain "specialty" number, please don't call or text me at 10:30pm or later to yell at me...you may not realize it but when you are rambling on in the voice-mail I really can hear your child crying not to call me, that their attendance and or attitude/performance in class is the reason that they didn't get a 'special' number.
Why can't parents do what my parents did... they let me cry it out, talked to me about what I did wrong and how to do it better in the future or try to make amends and let it work itself out. Let your kids grow up. I understand protecting them from an abusive situation, but not freaking out that your 11 year-old first year dancer didn't get placed in a solo, duet, trio or small group.
By KangarooPawmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:48 PM
1. Don't blame me because your daughter didn't beat my sister. Get over it. It's just a competition. My sister works her butt off and has been placing in the top 3 consistently all year...if winning is really all that matters to you and your kid, then perhaps this isn't the studio for you.

2. Don't make comments about things that aren't your business. I don't acknowledge your remarks for a REASON. Figure it out and shut up already.

3. You are NOT the best dancer in the entire studio, no one is jealous of you, and no one cares what you think. Your attitude SUCKS. I can't believe you are a 1st year teacher and you have the audacity to make the nasty comments that you have been making both in the studio and at competitions. The younger class works harder than the class you're in, and they're all getting better than you and your classmates. You all have egos that are far oversized and chips on your shoulders. I am tired of your attitudes and whining during advanced ballet class (and every other class from what I hear.) The younger class would have completed the same lesson plan without whining and they'd probably have done it better, too. They have been scoring higher than you and all of your classmates all season in both group and solo routines. So for you to sit there and make snide comments about them and their dances is just ridiculous, because honestly many people can't even stand to watch YOU dance. You have several technical issues including poor turnout and the inability to point your feet 95% of the time. It's also not cute when you let your BUTT hang out of your dance shorts all the time. PUT THAT NONSENSE AWAY, NO ONE WANTS TO SEE IT AND IT DOESN'T MAKE ANYONE WANT TO LOOK AT YOU...unless they're saying "why are her shorts so small? doesn't she have any that fit?" Yeah, they say that. Start dressing appropriately for class.

4. If I ever hear of you calling another student fat again, you will be GONE. You have the worst little chip on your shoulder. You are far too old to be acting so childishly. You were also making nasty comments recently on top of the fat one. You're in no position to be opening your mouth on anything considering you made one simple mistake on your solo and instead of trying to fix it or pick the dance back up like all our other kids would (and have), you immediately ran off the stage and copped an attitude, and tried to blame your teacher. It's your own fault...no one else's. Stop making excuses and grow up. Your "only child syndrome" is getting OLD.

5. If you want to complain about wanting an itemized bill for every single thing, maybe you shouldn't get your kid involved in something like dance. We have listed every single possible thing that could be included in your costume bill, and you know what your child has, so it's not hard to figure out what you're paying for. You don't need to loudly complain to other parents about not ever getting an itemized bill every year. No one else cares, why do you? Do you not trust us? If that's the case you should take your business elsewhere...and make sure you tell them that your child is amazing because I made her that way. Also tell them they have to give you every single detail of every little thing on paper or you'll freak out.
By Monkey0170
On Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:52 PM
Danzfanatik, I definately like this comment "
* Do not stare at me with a blank look on your face when I say 5678. That's your cue to dance!" Thanks
On Wed Sep 12, 2012 05:10 PM
Do not go to my students and tell them that I only care about my sisters dance and that's why she wins. She wins because she works hard and because she knows how to separate "sister time" from "teacher/student time" during her solo lessons and any other studio time. I have had several other students win too whom I have no relation to....whatcha got to say about that? You're never in the studio when I'm there, you dont and never have watched how I conduct ANY of my lessons, so what exactly gives you the right to pass such a ridiculous judgement? I don't even teach your kid! Why are you attacking me? You're in your 40's, please get some class and maturity. Your lack of such is just too much to deal with.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Sep 12, 2012 06:31 PM
You're never in the studio when I'm there, you dont and never have watched how I conduct ANY of my lessons, so what exactly gives you the right to pass such a ridiculous judgement?

I had a parent complain to me that her daughter should have won most improved dancer, because she dances so hard, and she's there "every night of the week".

I wanted to go "Bizarre. Because I actually AM at the studio every night of the week, and I only see your kid once."

Not to mention, my kid went from staring at stage lights to second overall duo/trio in two recitals. Let's talk about some most improved!
On Fri Sep 28, 2012 02:00 PM
Theresa: haha! Classic! I just love these kind of parents! Sorry our relatives are also involved in dance and they happen to do well. How is that a problem, exactly? This parent in particular is SO toxic to the studio. If her kid wasn't so innocent, they'd be gone. But we teach her kid, not her, so we can't punish the child for her mother's actions. I have one night off where I only show up to pick my sister up, and I don't even go in the studio because I know that mother is inside and I honestly have nothing to say to her. I've been straying away from any parents if I don't teach their kid and I only talk to parents of kids I do teach if its something related to dance.

Here's a new vent: (if no one has noticed, I bear the brunt of a lot of things at the studio I teach at...lol) I have one student new to the mini competition team. (There are actually six newbies in that class but only an issue with one.) her parents were given a detailed schedule at registration and said it was fine. Classes begin at 4:30 on Mondays and Thursdays for this child. This kid has been late EVERY DAY... By at least 20 minutes. Last Monday she was 45 minutes late for ballet class (which is 90 mins), and yesterday she was an hour late (she missed jazz class completely including new choreography.) I NEVER get an apology for her being late or even an explanation. They open the door, stick their kid in the room, and take off. The SO has spoken to them once and they claimed work conflicts. I understand that, but when your kid is missing valuable ballet training as well as choreography and skill work, don't ask me why she is behind everyone else, and don't as why she's in the back. She is still not practicing (which was a deal made if we kept her in this class, that this parent was to help her practice, which is obviously not happening) and she says to me "I forgot to practice." For the past 3 weeks, I've given her a chance on top of a full week of summer intensive in this class (which she was also late to every day, not to mention last years class on Saturdays when she was also late...every single time). I would LOVE to keep the class number at 12, but I cannot allow this kid to remain in a privileged class when she hasn't earned the privilege and her parents can't find a way to get her there on time. They're friends with several of the other kids families...carpool maybe? Something needs to be done or this kid will be removed from the class. It is not fair to the other girls who are all on time- some even coming at 3:00 for solo or duet lessons, never missing a beat. Yesterday's hour late was the last straw for me, but if the boss wants me to give her one more week, I will...but then I will have to request she be moved into a recreational class. Sorry. You're making my job more stressful for no reason. I can't use valuable class time to catch your kid up every single day.
By misvic5678
On Fri Apr 19, 2013 07:42 AM
AAAHHHH I need this today. So this weekend at one of the 3 studios I am involved with have pictures. I am a substute teacher there but only because it is a life long friend that owns it. My daughter takes classes there. One of the parents of a child in my daughters class has asked if I can take her to pictures, first of all I would do everything possible to make sure that I am there but to each their own. But this week I get should I have gotten the tightes for the show for pictures too? UUUMMM YES!!! what part of make sure you have everything you need for your costume including tights and shoes did you miss?? Next was is your daughter wearing makeup? Well yes on the schedulue we suggested that everyone wear it a little make up for the young kids, being they are 5 Im not making her wear full makeup but she will have some on, but as a mom why cant you make your own desion about this. Next I suggested that she stop at the studio to make sure she got the order form for pics if she was doing an individual or ordering class pics. Her response was WHAT I didnt know there was an order form. I guess she thought that we just read her mind as to what picture package she wants.
This all said I cant wait till recital time! I am NOT going to be responsible for her kid then too I was very reluctant about this weekend because I have volenteered to help with pics but thankfully I have a very supportive husband. God help me if she thinks that her daughter is going to to competition one day.

Thank you for this I needed to vent to people that understand.
By Ballerinaangel
On Fri Apr 19, 2013 07:08 PM
Don't complain about my already cheap prices & ask for a cheaper price. If you can pay to put all your kids in private schools... You can afford full price for dance lessons!
By angelgyrll1984
On Sat Apr 20, 2013 09:40 PM
* No we cannot "just do leaps and turns", yes the warm up is important and I do need you to put as much effort into it as you do the leaps and turns.

*Yes you are having a hard time doing that new turn,leap, jump, etc. because you did not put the effort into the warm-up.

*Yes you will be repeating the same level even though you are older now, your dance level is not contingent upon your age, it is contingent upon your effort.

*Yes I want you to see dance class as something fun however it is not a free for all party at all times and we will repeat certain phrases several times to clean them and it will be hard work.

*Yes when I say run I actually mean RUN not half jog.

sigh :)

Comment #10099707 deleted
Removed by hummingbird (128773) on 2013-04-22 07:43:17 Off topic and advertising, this is not allowed in the discussion forums.

Comment #10099708 deleted
Removed by hummingbird (128773) on 2013-04-22 07:43:27 Double post.

re: VENT!!!The teacher's venting thread..... (karma: 1)
By MissKaty1978
On Fri Jun 07, 2013 06:36 PM
Here's my vent. I am a tap/jazz teacher. I get that some ballet teachers think that tap is not really NEEDED in dance but why do they feel the need to tell me I'm doing it wrong.
By dancer57575member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:21 AM
Alright, I had to join in here- my co-workers have been driving me crazy!

1. I have been teaching for 10 years now, I will NOT let the owners daughter tell me what I should be doing since she is 4 years younger than me and is NOT a dancer but a gymnast!

2. Kids should be having FUN and enjoying what they are doing. Don't suck all the fun out of dance for them, the more you yell, the less they'll want to come!

3. Learn to count music. now.

4. Some kids don't WANT to be competitive, let them have a good time. Don't peer pressure them to become competitive if they don't want to be!

And for some students...

1. You didn't get placed on pointe because your body is not ready for it. You can't even make it through ballet class! Don't get mad at the girls who did make it on pointe-it's not their fault that their ankles are stronger than yours. There's no reason to talk behind their backs.

ughhhh- I can't wait till July when recital is over! (however then we go to Disney, so I'm sure I'll have all new complaints for those dancers....)
By honeybear1Premium member
On Sun Jun 16, 2013 08:41 PM
Yes, sweetheart. I know that you are 12, but this is your FIRST ballet class. Ever. Pointe shoes are not in your near future, and I am sorry to break your heart, but that is my final word on the subject.
Page:
Page 31 of 32: 1 2 3 4 5 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

ReplySendWatch