Forum: General

Page:
Page 32 of 32: 1 2 3 4 5 27 28 29 30 31 32
re: VENT!!!The teacher's venting thread.....
By BreaMae91
On Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:41 PM
To my co teacher:

*Please explain to me how you still have a job when you are missing six out of our ten classes this summer? And to think I felt guilty about missing just one class all summer!

*I asked you who you found to substitute for you the six weeks that you will be gone, because I wanted to be sure I would not be left to deal with 10 two and three year olds on my own. I was not expecting you to tell me your mom would be subbing...your mom whose only experience in dance is being a dance mom...

*Plie, plie, echappe, pique, pique, bourree, pique, pique, bourree, and two pas de chats...this is not an age appropriate combination to teach to our two and three year old students. This is why they run around the studio and do not pay attention when you teach. The routines I teach them might look goofy and simplistic, but they do them right and seem to have fun doing them don't they? And she wonders why I insist on lesson planning for and leading our 'baby class'...

*Teaching 5 or 6 eight counts in a forty-five minute recreational class for children who have never danced before is not realistic. Teaching 3 1/2 minute routines in ten weeks...er six since you're going to be gone most of the classes...is also not realistic. What's the point in teaching them a dance if they are going to look like crap anyway?

*Observation week is the final week of the session. I am not changing that, because you decided you have more important things to do that day and won't be there to teach that day. Honestly it's probably best that you aren't there that day anyway seeing as we want to make a good impression on the parents right?

*I do not want to talk about your social life when we are suppose to be teaching. To be honest, I don't even want to hear about your high school drama filled life when we aren't teaching.

*I get that we are co teachers and am more than willing to hear you out and consider your ideas, but this is a two way street! Do not disregard my ideas without a thought and then respond rudely. You must have forgotten I've been doing this over four times as long as you.

Can you tell my co teacher and I have a VERY loving relationship? I will be throwing her a going away party when she leaves next summer LOL. Sorry...I'll stop being a jerk now.

To the parents:

*You know how I announced three weeks in a row "You can purchase tap shoes at Payless for a decent price" while looking right at you? That was my hint to you that your child does in fact need tap shoes for tap class. Who knew right?

*Do not yell at me when your toddler runs around the room all class hitting you and shouting 'catch me mommy.' I warned you before class that the children do better when their parents aren't in the room and asked you to wait in the hall. You didn't listen. Besides your child hitting you is a reflection on your parenting skills. It says nothing about whether or not I'm competent to teach, so don't insinuate that I'm a bad teacher.

*Do not bring your child to five or six of the classes in a ten week session and then wonder why on the last day they look like they haven't learned anything. It's because they haven't learned anything, but it's your fault.

*When it is observation week do NOT sit and chat the entire class. You are hear to watch your child and encourage them, so get off your phones and shut up for an hour. Also, if I am making an announcement at least pretend you care, because when you are later asking me for the tenth time where to place your program evaluation I will ignore you.

*Above all if your child does not want to dance do not sign them up for my class. I get it if you are trying it out to see if your kid will enjoy it, but once you realize they don't like it pull them out please. You're just making me, your child, and their peers miserable.

To my students:

*If you ask me 'what game are we going to play today?' or 'when are we going to play a game?' again I'm going to scream. I'm about to do away with the fun activity at the end of class, because to be honest are your age when I was a kid we didn't do games anymore.

*When I say three times that you must bring your tap shoes into the classroom at the beginning of class, so you can change out of your ballet shoes half way through (our facility offers more than just dance classes, so I don't feel comfortable sending my students off into the hall the wander the huge building) that means bring your shoes in. If you do not bring them in I will not be letting you run up and down the halls looking for them.

Alright, it felt good to get that off my chest. I'll step off of my soap box now.
By dreamr
On Sun Aug 11, 2013 02:19 AM
Hi. I am new to this site. I was looking around for some help with my class and found this thread. I just needed to vent...
dear students,

I have had you for most of the summer and have felt that I have been fair and accommodating. I ask very little of you in class. I do expect you to try and focus. You are not there to make a social hour with your friends. Because your lack of focus and discipline I got frustrated and cried. Does it show I am weak? No, it just shows that I care and that I want the best for all of you. I have never done that before or stopped my class so abruptly, but it was necessary at that small moment. I dont care if you are sore from another non dance related camp. At least memorize the combos I hand you and just try. Also, to the students who did well im class I do apologize to you. I didn't mean to disregard your hard work at all. I want to thank you for your efforts. I am sorry your dancemates had the lack of respect for your dance time.
By KangarooPawmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Aug 30, 2013 01:56 PM
Dear parents:
Stop calling me hoping I can give you "insight" on the year's schedule. I can't, and even if I could, I would give you the same reply I already gave you: JUST WAIT TIL REGISTRATION. I am thisclose to changing my phone number and not allowing any parents whatsoever have it. These calls mixed with the stupid questions and requests that you already know I cannot fulfill are making me crazy.

Also, please stop asking me what the name of EVERY song I EVER teach a combo to is right after class. I am in between classes and don't have time for it. Ask me when you know the studio is closed and/or I am off, and I will gladly send them to you for your child to practice. Asking when I'm swapping out classes is probably not the best idea...clearly I am not even half-listening to you and am going to tell you to please ask me later anyway, so you might as well just save both of us time and ask me later.

Do not try to argue your child's way into a class when we tell you they are not ready for it and did not meet the requirements to be in that class in the first place. We are not afraid of you or your attitude that you think is intimidating...it's not. We know what we're doing and if you don't like it, you're free to go elsewhere. Just remember that when you find the grass really isn't greener on the other side, it will likely be too late to come back. Sorry. Better luck next year.
By taps2much
On Fri Sep 13, 2013 06:03 PM
Please do not interrupt another class to ask if your child can get an invitation to the convention we are attending with our DANCE students if your child takes dance at another studio and musical theatre with us. Your child (if meets our criteria) will be invited to the Musical Theatre conventions by us and hopefully her dance program will offer her opportunities in the area of dance. I do not hate you or your child so please do not act like I do, they simply do not meet the criteria for this one convention. Maybe you could talk to your child's dance teacher about offering conventions to their students.
By turningpointeQ
On Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:58 PM
I need to vent � I am new to this sight but am so happy that I found it! I am a SO for 18 years; teach most classes myself w/student teachers. Here is my vent �. To a former dancer, employee and friend�.18 years ago you walked into my studio and I taught you to dance, you worked hard, lite- up the stage when you performed and showed choreographic ability which I encouraged and honed. Fast forward 8 years and off to college you go � coming back for a dance fix whenever you could. I groomed you, gave you your own classes and numbers in the show, paid you VERY WELL and gave you cart blanch for studio space. You did a great job until your ego got the best of you, until you began to act entitled, until you started putting yourself above the good of the dancers and the Studio. So, when you took a job in Colorado I was so happy for you and was relieved because you were getting a little too big for your britches. When you came back for our show, I could not believe that you sat in my audience and ridicule dancers you once taught, sent texts backstage to cause trouble and were an absolute horror to my advanced dancers. I am shocked that you decided to turn into a crazy! How dare you try to wreak havoc on my dancers, who constantly show their maturity and dedication? SO, it is with a clear conscience, that I banish you from our wonderful dance world � good luck girl � remember I taught you everything you know, but I did not teach you everything I know. Oh and one other thing � remember how I told you that the duet �choreographed� was your best work, that it was amazing? Well that is because I knew that you stole it from Youtube � step for step for step- no dance integrity what so ever � I KNOW you were taught better than that. . So long former dancer, you are not missed.
By BalletCanaryIsla
On Sat Nov 09, 2013 08:53 PM
1. Parents: please have some common sense. A mother did infact hand to each of her two daughters AND another pupil a piece of chewing gum at the beginning of my ballet class. Sorry....what?! Please, do ignore the sign outside the studio and the written info in black and white that you received in your welcome pack on joining the studio that states gum is strictly prohibited. MASSIVE safety hazard.

Also, if your child hits/spits on another child they will be removed - I do not find it cute. I find it rude and disruptive. Don't realllly understand why you and your partner find it funny.

Please hand in uniform/costume money on time. If I don't receive it, it won't be ordered. Simple.

Also - I see one more slipper like ballet shoe one more time.

Dancers:

Don't ask me when class will be over. It will finish when I say so.

Please don't bring your pet to class. It is extremely inappropriate. (Not joking - had a hedgehog in my class last week)

Yes, Nutcracker is being cast. No, I will not be bribed by soppy texts containing reasons why you NEED the lead role. No.

Please PLEASE bring your own water. You know you need it. Don't ask for mine either.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Nov 10, 2013 09:29 AM
Ok, let's get one thing straight: If your child has three full blown, hyperventilating panic attacks in the space of 45 minutes (one caused cause I asked her to dance - DANCE! In a dance class! Imagine the surprise! The second because I asked them all to sit on a number and she wasn't the first to sit down, and the third because I asked them to dance with their moms in the room), then you need to stop claiming your child is a "perfectionist", and start telling the truth. She's got an anxiety disorder. I can prepare, if I know what I'm preparing FOR. My own kis is an absolutely relentless perfectionist. That, I get. Panic attacks are new. Please allow me to prepare accordingly.
By MissAlice
On Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:28 PM
If your child has a learning disability, LET ME KNOW! I understand sometimes parents don't want to talk about it... But I am trained in early childhood education and can help! If I have no idea what's going on, I am not able to provide your child with the best experience...
By Panda_Bear
On Sun Nov 10, 2013 05:52 PM
Dear Parents
I understand that your child has unique needs but that does not excuse you from brining them to class each week on time and ready to dance. Ready to dance means hair pulled back, dance clothes on, with their shoes, and having eaten something between school and dance. Also stay in the building, you were specifically told that you are to stay in the building during class because I will NOT be stopping my class to help any child use the wash room.

Also even though I teach in a rec center I give your child's class the same 110% effort I give every class I teach in a studio. I am committed to giving every child the best experience I can. Stop calling my boss and saying I just stand there and am Lazy! I may look like I'm standing still but I promise you that I am watching every child in that room and offering encouragment and feed back to each of them. My boss has seen me teach many times and knows excatly what I teach and why, she will back me up on this. I can not dance and provide appropriate feedback at the same time.

Also stop bad mouthing me in the lobby between classes, I hear you!

Don't comment on my weight when you look like you haven't worked out in 10 years. I know I don't have a ballerina body but I am in good shape.

And don't tell me to put a long sleeved shirt and longer skirt over my dance stuff because it's against your religion. I am dressed according to the dress code from my supervisor.
By Matherina
On Sat Nov 16, 2013 07:52 AM
Luckily, I don't make my living teaching, but I do have a small studio with 30-40 students. I love what I do, as we all do, or there would be no reason to continue. Other than the fabulous salary, multiple benefits, and complete adoration. NOT. Anway, I have made my living this way in the past, and can totally relate to the 'venting'. People, please realize that although this is not ditch digging, and we enjoy it, it is still a lot of work. I am so warmed whenever a parent lets me know that they realize that!
By Dream_chaserPremium member
On Sat Nov 16, 2013 08:27 AM
Edited by Dream_chaser (11405) on 2013-11-16 08:28:19
Panda_Bear wrote:

Dear Parents
I understand that your child has unique needs but that does not excuse you from brining them to class each week on time and ready to dance. Ready to dance means hair pulled back, dance clothes on, with their shoes, and having eaten something between school and dance. Also stay in the building, you were specifically told that you are to stay in the building during class because I will NOT be stopping my class to help any child use the wash room.

Also even though I teach in a rec center I give your child's class the same 110% effort I give every class I teach in a studio. I am committed to giving every child the best experience I can. Stop calling my boss and saying I just stand there and am Lazy! I may look like I'm standing still but I promise you that I am watching every child in that room and offering encouragment and feed back to each of them. My boss has seen me teach many times and knows excatly what I teach and why, she will back me up on this. I can not dance and provide appropriate feedback at the same time.

Also stop bad mouthing me in the lobby between classes, I hear you!

Don't comment on my weight when you look like you haven't worked out in 10 years. I know I don't have a ballerina body but I am in good shape.

And don't tell me to put a long sleeved shirt and longer skirt over my dance stuff because it's against your religion. I am dressed according to the dress code from my supervisor.

After 40 years, I always find something that amazes me with some, rude people. My generation grew up to be respectful. I see a lot of that going out of the window, and it's a shame.

Matherina, I agree. For the small percentage of people who make us want to scream, the majority are great, and I have said that, before. Why Teresa started this thread, is so people could "scream" in private, rather than at parents. LOL <3
By eu_dancer_girl
On Wed Feb 03, 2016 07:52 AM
Bringing this thread back to life because I am sick and tired of parents. You are not special, your kid isn't special and I'm the boss.
I am sick and tired of being yelled at and called names because we don't let moms watch class. Your kid is 5, she'll let you know if she enjoyed her class. No, she doesn't need you. Yes, she will get distracted. Yes, it's a rule. No, you will not be the exception. Screw you, entitle-mom.
By ImpactCAA
On Sat Feb 06, 2016 07:26 PM
Totally agree with the class start time! Thankfully, that is really the main issue we have It is so disruptive to the class, especially the littles.
By Ms_Nemo
On Thu Sep 01, 2016 02:37 PM
Ohh this looks fun....

To my older students:
-if you are in the building prior to class, I expect you to walk into class on time.
-if you don't want to dance, leave!
-you are old enough to to know your body. If something hurts or feels wrong, tell me! Don't suffer through it and then go home and cry to mommy.
-if you don't come to class on a regular basis you will not be performing at the same level as the students who do. You will not improve if you don't come. Don't complain.
-I have the authority to take you out of my piece if you don't put in the effort.
-if I ask the class a question, for the love of god ANSWER me! "Do you understand" Is not rhetorical!

To my students parents:
-if the dress code is a pink leotard and tights, send your child to class in a pink leotard and tights. Not her favorite princess outfit.
-feed your 4 year old before her 5:30 pm class.
-do not send your child into my class with her bag of goldfish.
-Do not send your child into my class with gum in his mouth
- if you notice your child misbehaving in my class, do not yell at them to knock it off from the lobby. This is disruptive, and it undermines my authority. In my class I am the boss. And on that subject...
- teach your child to behave before you sign them up for dance class. If you are one of those parents who believes in lax, hands off parenting that allows child to decide what she's going to do and when she's going to do it, she is going to be in for a shock when she has to follow actual rules.
-I don't care if you 2 yr old and 5 yr old REALLY want to be in class together, they are in different developmental worlds.
-do not drop your 4 yr old off at dance and leave to run errands. I am a teacher, not a babysitter.
Page:
Page 32 of 32: 1 2 3 4 5 27 28 29 30 31 32

ReplySendWatch