Forum: General

Page:
Page 4 of 32: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 28 29 30 31 32
re: VENT!!!The teacher's venting thread.....
By RhythmicDancer
On Thu Jul 29, 2004 09:35 PM
You know what i really dont understand guys. Is that when you stand there in front of a class and correct a movement because more than one person has done it worng, and you ask them to do it again and they do it exactly the same way. And then dont understand why i got upset.

Another thing i would love to vent is when you get asked to do a piece of choreography - ifyou want me to do it let me do it my way rather than your way. I had someone ask me to do a piece, they ended up choosing the music and also choreographed it half their way cause they had 'ideas'. Is this my dance or yours?????

And children coming into class without their proper gear that drives me nuts.

And one last thing, i still compete for my studio in groups - the other day we started anew lyrical piece, and people who did not ocncentrate on ballet, or even give tow hoots about ballet have been placed in the front, now im not saying that i should have been, but definatley not those two people, there are others a lot better than them.
By danzfanatik
On Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:12 PM
ASAteacher- I agree with you completely
re: VENT!!!The teacher's venting thread..... (karma: 1)
By ASATeacher
On Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:38 PM
Thanks! I knew I couldn't be alone on this one!:)
By divadivadancer
On Fri Jul 30, 2004 07:33 AM
AsATeacher - I gave u karma for that post. I TOTALLY agree with you on that. Where in the title does it say, students and/or parents are also welcome to post even though it cleary states TEACHERS!

Other then that I have no vent. We are on a 2 week vacation, so I have not had to deal with the studio for a week now and have another week left. WOOOOO HOOOOO.

Sarah
By girlladybug
On Fri Jul 30, 2004 08:39 AM
Edited by girlladybug (99386) on 2004-07-30 08:41:52
To PrincessB...Amen. I hear you and wish I could say those things to my staff too..I just fired two teachers that had been students of mine since they were three (sisters) years of age and are in college now. They had been teaching for me for 2 and 4 years. They assumed that since they had been at the studio so long that they owned it and could do whatever they wished from being lazy to pi---ng off the parents. Well surprise...at the end of the year I sent out evaluation forms to all the parents and although I knew what was going on, used the forms "in writing" to back up my reasons for firing them. It feels so good to get rid of the negative vibes in my studio. All the rest of the staff is kissing my b--t.. I really don't want them to do that...all I want is their respect. I told all of them that if I didn't have their respect that we would part ways. Hopefully this year will be better. We work too hard to build our business to allow our own staff to run people off because they are lazy or not motivated to be congenial to parents and students. Thanks for letting me vent...
By ASATeacher
On Fri Jul 30, 2004 09:28 AM
Danzfanatik and Divadiva dancer- Hey guys, thanks again especially for the Karma Divadiva!(it was my 1st karma I believe:) When you get a minute check out the other sticky on the main TEACHERS ONLY page b/c they are asking what improvements do we think needs to be made. I pleaded the same case there. And I think three of the five posts on that board are from people wanting to keep the TEACHERS ONLY board open to everyone. I can't imagine why, well other than the obvious:) If you agree with making this a private board for us teachers to come and not worry about parents and kids putting their two sense in let the site know there. Not that I don't enjoy helping them out when they ask, it's just that this is NOT the board for that! Thanks again guys!
Take care,
Lesleigh
To ASATeacher
By Dream_chaserPremium member
On Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:20 AM
I totally agree with you. On the danceart boards only teachers (with proof and being voted in by members) can post or read on the Teachers, Only boards. I like that but some parents are just plain nosy. I am a parent of a dancer so I CAN post on Parents, Only but if they are not a teacher, they should let us have our place to vent and share. Same for Studio Owners.
VENT!!!The teacher's venting thread.....
By moabcricketmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jul 30, 2004 02:58 PM
I'm back to this page again. Can I leave a silent vent? I really don't want anyone to know that I'm so PO'd I could throw up.

Lets just say - pets!

Thank you, for this momemnt of silent vent.....

Humbly yours
TEAM MOM
By Mish99
On Fri Jul 30, 2004 03:10 PM
Hey, I coached/managed a cheerleading squad last year, it was a volunteer thing and it was a crazy experience.

I work full time and then drove over to practice 4 nights a week and was at games every Sat. People didn't understand that I was there for them and was giving a huge chunk of my time to make this happen and make it affordable for everyone to participate. I guess what they say is true, because I gave an inch and they took a mile.

1) I started picking up a little girl on my way to practice because her mom asked nicely and was very appologetic. That didn't last very long because once everyone else got wind of it, my cell phone started ringing off the hook with parents that needed me to chaufer their kid around. At first I said if they all met at the first girls house and were on time I would take them together, but then of course so and so couldn't make it to the house either so I had to make myself and all the girls in my car late because she was stranded. Shouldn't parents worry if I can't pick up their kid, what would they do. Now they have left their kid stuck somewhere without a phone!

2) I wouldn't ever leave a kid alone if someone didn't pick them up after practice. After a while the parents caught on that they didn't have to worry about their kid being left alone, so they would take their time to get to the field to pick up their child! My mother would never have done this to me, and I would die if my kid had to wait in the dark for me! I even had one parent show up 2 hours late! I was sitting with her kid in the dark in a field in a bad area! I called her cell about 40 times in a row trying to get a hold of her and trying to make excuses to her kid for her, then she slowly drives up ON THE CELL PHONE! I felt so sorry for the kid, but I pulled her mom aside and told her if she couldn't handle the schedule, she might want to think about dropping out. Of course she didn't consider that until weeks before competition when we had everything coreographed, then she thought it might be better to drop.!!!

3) This same parent kept complaining because I had to bench her daughter. Everyone signed a contract stating that so many tardies or no shows to practice would result in being benched so long for a game. I keep all those contracts with me at every game, so when she started saying that I was singling out her kid I showed it to her, it didn't make any difference and she proceeded to complain about me to the league!

4) Another parent called me in a drunken stupor saying that he was going to sue me because I had to move practice further from his house because we needed to be indoors. He also threatened that I was abusing his kids because I made them condition when they didn't want to!

5) I hate it when kids who are out of shape sign up for these kinds of things to get into shape, but make every excuse to get out of conditioning? Then the parents that wanted them to get outside and off the couch in the first place say, "oh she had a little stomach ache today, so she shouldn't run" "oh I think she has athsma, so she really shouldn't run!" I would think that if you thought your kid really had athsma you would take her to a doctor! I ran with the kid to encourage her and make sure she didn't start really have breathing problems, and there is no way she has anything but being out of shape! You won't get into shape with out pushing yourself a little bit!

I loved working with the kids most of the time, and I miss the dancing, but I am so glad I didn't do it this year! It is sad these people can be so mean and push away the people who really care and want to help their kids. No wonder the league always has trouble finding people to fill the position! I love teaching, but I don't want to make dancing this much of a frustration!

I am so glad I heard other people complain about similar things, because I just thought I was doing things all wrong! I thought it was my falt that it went the way it did, but unfortunately the head of the league said my squad got along better than most any other team, and I had fewer complaints! Who knew

Mish99
By tumblebugPremium member
On Fri Jul 30, 2004 06:54 PM
Wow, its sounds like i'm hearing my own story all over again ^! I can relate to that for sure!
By jazzdancer3
On Sat Jul 31, 2004 05:12 PM
Good for you! You don't need to take that crap!!! You are definitely being used and abused. As for carting kids around, I'd ask for some gas money at least! Horrible!!! It sounds like you need to write out your policies and have the parents sign and date so you know they've read and understand them. That way if a problem arises you can remind them that they signed the policy sheet and if they don't like it they can LEAVE!!! Good luck!!!
By dancedeb
On Sat Jul 31, 2004 05:47 PM
I would NEVER put anyone's child in my car in a "business" capacity...too much liability. Am I being overly paranoid?Anyway, if a parent ever asks me to transport a child I tell them I can't, for that reason. It's just not worth the risk and it gives you a graceful "out" when you are put on the spot like that. I think you are being used and abused, as someone has already said.
On Sat Jul 31, 2004 08:37 PM
I don't think it is a good idea to take the kids in your car for the reasons cited above. If I must, like when I take an older student with me to assist me when I guest teach at other studios and seminars or conventions, I have a waiver signed by the parents and carry all of their emergency medical info in case of an emergency.

Tell them you are no longer allowed to carry the kids in your car for insurance purposes and learn how to say no.
By girlladybug
On Sun Aug 01, 2004 02:41 PM
I agree with you ASA Teacher. We should make this a teachers only board.
By jazzdancer3
On Sun Aug 01, 2004 06:48 PM
ASA Teacher, I think I might have been one of the people who thought it shouldn't be just a teacher's only board. I must say I've changed my mind! Why not? Teacher's should have a safe place to vent.
By SeniorLadyPremium member
On Sun Aug 08, 2004 09:44 AM
Choreography class is not technique class. I will not go over individual movements with you if I include them in a dance: I am only using movements that I KNOW you've been taught in your technique classes, and I therefore expect you to be able to do them. I won't take time from the work that needs to be done to teach you a movement. A turn is a turn is a turn whether you do it in the centre or in a seperate piece. I'm not your technique teacher, mmmk?!
By giselle7Premium member
On Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:52 AM
You guys are all great!!! I love it! It's all so true. In the outside world...if you break the rules you pay for it. People should be used to following rules shouldn't they? Unless all of these dance parents are criminals.
By giselle7Premium member
On Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:53 AM
You guys are all great!!! I love it! It's all so true. In the outside world...if you break the rules you pay for it. People should be used to following rules shouldn't they? They must all be criminals.
By Frappeccinomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:03 PM
I especially hate it when parents ask for a rehersal to be moved to accomodate THEIR child's needs. I am fairly new at this teaching thing as I have been given a co-teaching job with a fellow student teaching 4 yeard old ballerinas so i don't have much of a back bone yet. It doesn't help that when parents get mad, my partner runs into the studio to "empty the rosin boxes" as she says she's doing. So I am there all alone... trying to get these parents under control.

One day I just lost it. The usual over-involved mother comes in and begins spouting off at how I'm purposly trying to ruin little Mary's "dance experience" by scheduling these rehersals at conflicting times with her activites. SHE'S 4! how many activities is she in? Plus, I wonder if they think about the other 20 little girls that are here to have a good time. She also got mad at me for letting the girls pick a song from our class record and "free-style" dance to it for the last 3-4 minutes of class or so. "Why isn't Mary learning more upper level ballet skills? Do you think my daughter is at the same level as these other children?" What do I say to that? HELLO!!! Your daughter is 4! I can't teach her bourres, or echappes, or fouettes, or pirouettes, or even what a tendu means! All they know and understand is "point" "flex" "plie" "grand plie" "eleve" "releve" and all the positions (which is more than I knew then...) The mother was apparently a "prima ballerina" herself back in the day and got so bent out of shape that she removed her daughter from the school. (I doubt she was really a ballerina. In an attempt to suck up to the head ballet director, she demonstrated her "knowledge" and proceeded to confuse a rond de jambe with an arabesque al la terre... how do you mix those up?)

Did I do anything wrong? Should I really be teaching these girls harder stuff even if it's going to go over their heads? They know the moves, and when they are a few years older, they will know their names.

Phew... that was nice. I should post on this more often! Hehehe!
Re: Vent!!! The teacher's venting thread....
By missdancediva
On Wed Aug 11, 2004 04:40 AM
I totally understand what you are saying. There are some parents who just aren't happy with anything no matter what.

missdancediva
To skey_faerie
On Wed Aug 11, 2004 07:58 AM
I don't think it was you, I think that uninformed mother would have caused trouble at any school because she will get the same type of training at just about any school at that age.

I say to my parents, "Trust me or you are in the wrong place. I trained my whole life in dance, how long have you trained?" If they say they have, I will ask where, with whom and where did they train to teach. That usually stops the tyrade or they leave.

You know what?!!! If that type of person leaves, so be it! I do not need people in my life who cause me grief. I have enough of my own things going on in life. I lost my son this year and since have been even more that way. I realize life is short, why should I allow people to bring me down. I will ask a parent to remove their child from my school if they will not listen to reason.

That is a normal part of the business but isn't it sad that these parents can ruin it for their child. If the child is happy WHY THE HELL ARE THEY INTERFERING!!! ACK!
By dancedeb
On Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:19 AM
I agree with JLL. That is pretty much how I would handle that situation. And to JLL: my sincerest amd heatfelt sympathies in the loss of your son. Yes, life is too short to deal with grief that petty and unreasonable people want to throw at you. We all work too hard and give too much of ourselves to put up with that kind of cr..!
vent, vent vent (karma: 2)
By gsadancer
On Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:38 AM
It is so reassuring to hear that I am not insane! We suffer the same strife that you and most other teachers have vented about. The main thing that some parents don't understand is that they and their children choose to do this activity on their own free will - I don't force them in. I do appreciate their business but..

So, take them to class, rehearsals, etc and pay your bills. If you don't like another parent in the school, be a grown up and handle it on your own. Yes it costs money - but so does the building and the insurance, and the heat and electricity. How is it that when it comes to an extracurricular activity, all logic goes out the window? And yes, this is my real job...

Love and support to all the teachers who love their jobs, love thier artform, and love their students but could do without the stress that comes along with working with people's children.
By imadanseurPremium member
On Sat Aug 14, 2004 02:15 PM
What part of "your child isn't ready for level 3" do you not understand??? If you ask me every week, the answer is still the same...it will be too hard, there are multiple things issues she needs to work on, and no they do not just spend one year in every level. Sometimes kids spend 3 years in one level, and no they won't be repeating the same thing they learned from the year before, and no they aren't bored like you say they are.

I also don't care if you think one of the girls doesn't belong in your daughter's class. The other little girl may have 2 left feet, but has just as much right to enjoy her level 1 jazz class! Worry about your own kid and let's try not to destroy another child's self esteem.
By divadivadancer
On Mon Aug 16, 2004 07:35 AM
A student i have had since she was 5 (now 13), is quitting gymnastics because she has made the school dance team. And next year she will be in high school. We have a conflict with her dance team and the competition class she is in. For the town parade she is required to do the dance team, and also required to do our team. If she doesnt do the dance team she will get demerits and get kicked off, and since this is their first year of competition, we didnt do a demerit system. She also informed me that this is the only year she will be doing this, and next year she wont. So if this is the only year she will be doing it, then what is the big deal if she gets a demerit and gets kicked off. WHY DO SCHOOL SPORTS RULE OVER OUT OF SCHOOL SPORTS???? This drives me crazy!

Sarah
Page:
Page 4 of 32: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 28 29 30 31 32

ReplySendWatch