Forum: Highland / Highland - Hornpipe

costume changes
By highlandchic
On Mon Jun 07, 2004 06:29 PM

Has the hornpipe costume changed at all throughout the years?? Like in the 50's and 60's was it pretty much the same does anyone know?
The only change I know of is that the tie should be in a "bow tie" as opposed to the tie it used to be.
Also I notice that alot of dancers in Scotland have the denum blue which we rarely see in Canada, I think it looks funky myself :)

7 Replies to costume changes

re: costume changes (karma: 1)
By highlandlassie
On Mon Jun 07, 2004 07:57 PM
I know that the dancers used to have a pocket on the front of their shirt with a little flag in it. In the Farewell step, they wouldn't just move their arm "as if holding a flag", they would actually have to take it out of the pocket and hold it, and then put it back after the step!! I know that the Pumping step (now the 10th step) used to be the 9th alternative, but that's not a big change. The music used to be a lot faster too, so the lowcutting step was a little different, a little more run together. The arms in hoisting slacks used to go with the feet: in on the assemble and out on the shake shake instead of the other way around. If any of you found it tough to learn those arms when you first learned them, imagine dancing it the other way for a few years and then having to change it!! (My dance teacher had to change it!) Also, in the heel pull the arms used to go out on all the toe-shake-shakes, now they only go out on the hoisting slacks. That's all I can think of right now. :)
re: costume changes
By highlandlassie
On Mon Jun 07, 2004 07:59 PM
EEP! Sorry, you only wanted costume changes. I guess I should read something fully before I answer! Oh well, I hope the extra information is at least interesting! :)
By calidancer6
On Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:14 PM
nowadays, i don't think you have to wear a bow tie or a knot. many people still do, but i don't think its required anymore. also, hats used to be able to say the name of a ship, and know they must either be the white and navy/black, or all black or all navy.
By highlandchic
On Tue Jun 08, 2004 05:41 AM
highlandlassie thanks for the extra info, it was interesting (I gave you karma :) )
By rambler
On Wed Jun 09, 2004 07:35 AM
does anyone know whether you can still wear a navy hornpipe hat?
By calidancer6
On Wed Jun 09, 2004 06:12 PM
yes, i'm pretty sure you can still wear, just as long as it doesn't have the name of a ship on it. my friend wears one and she has never been marked off.
By highlandhottiemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jun 09, 2004 07:22 PM
i've heard that you can, but my dance teacher told me not to....i think it may have just been her personal opinion on them though.

ReplySendWatch