Forum: General / Hip Hop / Locking

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
Question For All The Real Lockers Out There......
By B_BoyFlip2003
On Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:24 PM

Hey sup yall...i'm really interested in learnin how to lock...does anybody know the names for the basic movements for locking style and describe them?

thanx...peace
Lil Flex

30 Replies to Question For All The Real Lockers Out There......

re: Question For All The Real Lockers Out There......
By dacinchica107
On Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:54 AM
yeah I know how to lock and pop, I know what some are called but its all where your from the names arent the same depending on your area
check out some of ushers videos and missys videos
my computer hasnt been working and I had tons of websites saved in favorites that I lost, but I'll try to find them and hit you bak up
hope this helps a lil for rite now
-JJ
By B_BoyFlip2003
On Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:02 PM
oh i don't need to know nothin about poppin, i already pop....i wanna know "lockin" like the original campbell lock style and stuff....sorry i juss wasn't specific enough....so someone hit me up if ya got the knowledge!

Peace
Lil Flex
By NightWindDrifter
On Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:17 PM
locking moves don't really have names from them, but they're characterized by what the motion is. wrist rolls, "Uncle Sam" points, and kicks. for the most part, locking is a semi-free-style dance that's defined by the way the dancer moves, not by what he does. good luck!
By B_BoyFlip2003
On Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:52 PM
thanx....so basically i can juss be free wit it and create my own style? k sounds coo

peace
Lil Flex
By Invent
On Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:47 AM
CRAP!!!! I hate it when people tell you a dance style is just "free."
NightWind was partially right.
The names of th emoves are more of short descriptions for themselves....
The lock
Throwbacks
Uncle Sam Points
Whichaways
Skeeter Rabbit
Scoobot
Scoobot Hop
Oil Wells
Applejacks
Half splits
Hand Slaps
Back Slaps

Those are just a few... I would suggest trying to find a locker in ur area and get down with them. Also look on style2ouf.com for some locking clips also try the program soulseek and check out wiggles forum, mrwiggles.biz, under the forum section, he has one devoted to locking.
Also, tell me, where do you live? If you are in SoCal or near NYC, you couldnt be anyplace better to learn (except for Japan..hehe)
Aite, hope this helped. Remember, locking does have structure... it is not "basically free". It allows for freedom and personal style, but it has its rules.
Invent
Funkacidal Maniacs Crew
By B_BoyFlip2003
On Tue Jun 22, 2004 06:03 AM
hey thanx fo straighten that out for me....its funny u mention japan becuz i do live in japan....seen a few shows of lockers offbase but i don't speak a lick a japanese....well thanx again

peace
Lil Flex
By B_BoyFlip2003
On Tue Jun 22, 2004 06:04 AM
hey thanx fo straightening that out fo me....its funny u mention japan becuz i live there....i've seen a few shows of lockers offbase, they're pretty good....well thanx again

peace
Lil Flex
By NightWindDrifter
On Tue Jun 22, 2004 02:54 PM
yes, it's a style with limitations. that's why I called it a semi-free-style. =)

I used to live in Japan. Atsugi NAF base, specifically. close to Zama, and a distance from Yokota/Yokosuka. where do you live?
By PaRRis
On Tue Jun 22, 2004 03:06 PM
expain how it has limitations :s

from wat i know invent is on top of things, but you learn the trade marked moves n then your own moves on top, it's after your gonna say break dancing is pure freestyle when really there all based upon trade mark moves, u top rock, floor it, power it up, power it some more, top rock n leave ... :(you have really upset me nightwinddrifter, Locking is opened new doors to me and i've only been doing locking hardcore for about 2 days straight and there's so much u can put on top. boooo
By B_BoyFlip2003
On Tue Jun 22, 2004 09:48 PM
Oh i live in okinawa, juss a lil island but alot of dancers, juss no american ones lol....Oh another quick question....does anybody know a good website where i can buy a video that teaches these basic moves?

Peace
Lil Flex
By Invent
On Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:35 PM
I believe at electricboogaloos.com you can get some locking videos from SugaPop and also some instructionals from Skeeter Rabbit.
Invent
By NightWindDrifter
On Thu Jun 24, 2004 05:13 PM
I've locked hardcore for a year, starting with few other influences. because locking was an almost-dead style, I was forced to travel a bit out of my way to attend bboy sessions. one particular one had a locker who was incredible. back then, I had nothing on me, not enough to battle him. I do regret that.

there is so much to learn about locking. why do dancers always want to learn moves? this isn't breaking, this isn't ballet. if you want to learn hip hop, then you're going to have to learn to freestyle. then you can consider learning the restrictions on freestyle that makes locking what it is.

breakers have their routines and they can name them. uprock to scramble to flare to 90 to hollowback for example. can you imagine a locker naming a routine? Uncle Sam point right Uncle Sam point left turn around jump and point? seriously...

stop trying to turn locking into a set of predefined moves. don't fake the funk. for anyone in the Vegas area, I'm willing to show you what I'm talking about.
By Invent
On Thu Jun 24, 2004 08:34 PM
Hahaha... if you think I'm fakin the funk...ur wrong. Vegas?!?!? Vegas?!?!?! Do you know Drigo??? Hopefully you know Wiggles. But uh...I plan on making a trip out there sometime in July. So keep in touch and we can get together.
You probably misunderstood me though...
Locking is not just a set of predefined moves. You have predefined moves that create a foundation for you to freestyle with.
I hope this simplfies and clears up what I was saying.
Invent
By NightWindDrifter
On Fri Jun 25, 2004 05:41 AM
I'm actually coming from Everett, WA. very unfamiliar with Vegas, and just tonight I got lost riding around haha. my family lives down here in Vegas, and I'm visiting before I ship out for the military.

it clears up everything though. I'll be back up in Everett during July to see my friends before I leave, but I may be able to come back down again. it'd be tight to kick it with dancers other than breakers hahaha

peace
there is more to the story
By inquizzativ
On Wed Jul 21, 2004 09:56 PM
I have been around some of the real old timers ..there are names to the steps and there are correct ways to do them..established OG's like cambellockjr..Fluky luke and Tony Go-go.. tell me about the real History the days before the Group the Lockers started.. they tell me about the real Skeeter rabbit.(not the one in the electric boogaloos) Jimmie "Scooby doo" Foster... charles robot.. there were even other groups.. my studies have shown me that there are two backgrounds..improvisational.. which don cambell created and group steps named after some of the real OG's I just mentioned...Every Lockin routein displays many steps like the sko-bot, the skeeter rabbit,the sooby-doo and stop and go.. Don Cambell did not create these steps.. other OG's did and all of them arn't the ones who you see in the pictures of the Original Lockers .. this was all new to me when I first heard it but everyone from that old era tells there more than we've been hearing...
lol
By angeldemondancer
On Thu Jul 22, 2004 08:48 AM
i love locking, but im not very good at it yet, im working really hard to get it down, keep trying everyone that doesnt understand.....its awsoem and sooooo much fun!

*X__*DANCERDEMON*__X*
Locking
By Candyace
On Fri Jul 23, 2004 09:56 AM
Yea see! Where I'm from :Down South, ATL , We call it Ticking, because down here the only thing to do realy is dancing and down south is the hip hop capital, we call it different things, We call it ticking instead of locking because when your dancing your moves are like, tick tick tick with every move. But thats just what we call it
Locking
By Candyace
On Fri Jul 23, 2004 09:57 AM
Yea see! Where I'm from :Down South, ATL , We call it Ticking, because down here the only thing to do realy is dancing and down south is the hip hop capital, we call it different things, We call it ticking instead of locking because when your dancing your moves are like, tick tick tick with every move. But thats just what we call it
By Invent
On Fri Jul 23, 2004 01:48 PM
I hope ATL recognizes that TICKING is a style within popping
Invent
Locking in Japan
By inquizzativ
On Wed Aug 18, 2004 09:52 AM
Hi there .. I study with the real OG's of Locking, Greg Campbellock Jr. Told me He and The Original Skeeter Rabbitt recently returned from Japan where they taught the Original Classic style Locking at the Beat Box dance school in Tokyo. they said if you really wanna learn contact them and they will put you in touch with Tony go-Go ( another Original member of the Lockers) who now lives in Japan .. probably what you saw in Japan was Lock fusion ..Tony created that style in japan in the late 1980's, Tony teaches both Original classic and Lock Fusion.. let me know I'll hook you up with them
By CoverGirl
On Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:01 PM
go Invent and one or two of the others on here... I also studied with Don Campbell, Suga pop, Skeeter Rabbit and a few others... Right, Don C. did not create most of the moves in locking but yes, there are definitely set and accepted movements within this dance form. See Invent's list above and add to it:
wrist rolls, points (other than Uncle Sam), knee drops, scoop hop and other types of scoops, stop and go, scooby doo, pork chop, pacing, floor slaps, various jumps and ... Invent, maybe you know the name of these - a gumboot style of touching/slapping the feet or ankles while lifting and bending the knees either out from thebody or in toward the center... and more...

Have fun with it...
Cover Girl
By ice_man
On Sat Oct 30, 2004 08:55 PM
Hey, i'm from New Zealand and really wanna learn how to lock, cause its not really well known over here, most bboy crews are'nt into locking.
I've seen a few clips of people locking and i ask heaps of bboys over here if they know anything about it but noone does, so i'm just learning from what i've seen (uncle sam points, wrist rolls, etc).
If anyone can help out, it'd be much appreciated.
Locking help
By Boogiewalker34
On Sun Oct 31, 2004 03:20 AM
Hey man,

For help with locking, check out tonytee.com. It will give you more info. about the history and stuff.

For a crash-course in locking, go to bboy.org and buy their double DVD set "Breakdance Step-by-Step". There's a master class taugh by Zulu Gremlin of Breakbeat Assassins and Medea Sirkas. He really knows his history and he breaks down all of your basic movements of the locking idiom. Plus, that's a good resource to have for your bboying and popping techniques as well...

Also, look for one of the other OG locking groups, "Chain Reaction", online (I forgot the name of the website, but go to Google and type in "Chain Reaction" and "Locking" and you'll find it eventually...). They have historical videos and "how-to" videos... the only bad news is that they're EXPENSIVE (something like $49.99 (US) and I don't think that includes international shipping... plus I think the videos are only on VHS and not DVD (or PAL or whatever you guys use down in Australia). So, if you don't have an American-made VCR, then you might be up a creek w/o a paddle...

Also, check out twilightplayers.com for some clips of England's most famous all-Indian three-man locking crew. They're good.

Other than that, come visit sunny southern California when you get the chance. Go to Granada Hills to Tony Tee's studio and take a locking class with Tony Tee or with Don Campbell. That'll learn ya good! :)

alright, have fun and good luck!

G-boogie, the boogiewalker
By ice_man
On Thu Nov 04, 2004 01:51 AM
Thanks for that,

I might just have to pay a visit to "Sunny California" then, what better way is there to learn then off the master himself!!!
Does he come down this way often? if not, does he want to? lol.
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch