Forum: New Zealand / New Zealand - General

Going to New Zealand
By cosumember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jun 30, 2004 01:30 PM

HI!!
I know this post is not really related with dance, but were are all dancers and so I just want some tipps form you!
I am going to New Zealand at the end of july and I just want to know if there are any special places were I have to go! I means which you have, really have to see!
I am going there for about 2 months, I stay with my host famiy but i want to tour around for 2 weeks!
And tipps to take with my to NZ??Anything would be helpfull! The other thing is that I want to stay in shape and I would love to dance there too! Do you guys know any good dance studio near orin Hamilton??
Thanks fr any tipps!!!!
Would be great to get you help!
Cosu

19 Replies to Going to New Zealand

re: Going to New Zealand
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jul 01, 2004 04:06 AM
You'll love NZ so much, it's such a beautiful place!
There's a circus on in July, but as far as I know it's only in Auckland. It's Weber Bros, which is always amazing, so if you can, then I suggest you go there.
If you're able to go to Wellington, then Te Papa's pretty cool. I haven't been there since I was 12, but I'd love to go again.
Rotorua's cool, but beware, if you're not used to the smell of sulphar then you're in for a shock. But you get over it in about an hour, and the giesers (sp?) are amazing.
Goat Island, it's near Warkworth. I haven't been there in a couple of years, but it's a really pretty beach where they protect the fish. Take advantage of the beaches, because we have a bit of a national argument going on about who owns them, and yeah.
Matamata is where Hobbiton (sp?) from LOTR was filmed, so that's pretty cool.
There's heaps of awesome places here, it just depends what you're looking for.
Take Winter clothes. And I mean WINTER. It is absolutely freezing right now!!! I wish my toes would drop off so they wouldn't go numb (joking, I really dont wish that lol).
What country are you coming from?
By dance_deva
On Thu Jul 01, 2004 09:11 AM
You are so lucky getting to go to NZ! I would love to go.

Could someone please explain about weather in NZ? I mean when are the warmest and coldest seasons, or does that vary depending on whether you are on the North or South Island?
By pointytoes
On Sat Jul 03, 2004 04:11 AM
O.K. im in the south island and the winter temps can be as low as 3 or 4 during the day but then thats a really cold day usually its around about 12, then in the summer average temp would be about 24 thats celious (cant spell that). I would say there are no towns, cities in nz that have snow on the ground all day. It might snow at night or during the day but because all places are close to the coast nothing settles. HOw exciting coming to nz where are you coming from???
On Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:45 PM
I am from Germany and I was in New Zealnad 3 years ago! I am going to Hamilton and , I know that it is winter. The last time I was there , it was winter , in Hamilton it was about 10-15 °C, that is ok , I live in the "Black Forest" so we have snow all the winter!! Thanks for the tipps!!
Do you know if it is expensive to buy ballet or dance clothes in NZ??
By jim_nast
On Sun Jul 04, 2004 02:07 AM
im not sure about dance shoes but i know leos are around nz$30? yay 2 months in our beautiful country! man i sound cheesy...hope you have heaps of fun. im going to the black forest in september whats it like there in sep.?
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jul 08, 2004 09:48 PM
This Winter is a ccccoooolllllddddd Winter. I was just in Matamata, which is near Hamilton, and this morning (6-9ish) it was -1 degrees.
On Sun Jul 11, 2004 04:17 AM
Ok thanks!
We should have summer here nut it is cold too! About 18°C.
An other questions , how cheap / expensive are prepaid phones in NZ??
By Sparkz_NzPremium member
On Sun Jul 11, 2004 06:37 PM
prepaid phones are just the same as phones on plans here... $200 and up..
If you have a GSM phone though... i think you can get a sim card from vodafone for under $40, so thats always a good option!

The weather here does depend on where you live, the south is the coldest... being closest to antartica obviously.. but only by about 5 degrees.. though thats HEAPS when its from 15 to 10!

Of course, it always seems colder here than it is, because our houses are colder than those in europe!

i would look in the yellow pages for dance classes...(www.yellowpages.co.nz) just ring them up? Sorry i can't help you much here.. I'm in wellington!

J
By sparklin_dancer
On Tue Jul 20, 2004 06:40 AM
Heya im goin 2 NZ in September! its a school trip so i cant realli go ne where else besides where they r takin us:( but i just wana kno wot is the weather like in September? Wot season is it also?can a new zelander plz reply! thanx:)
By glittertoes
On Fri Jul 30, 2004 07:00 AM
cool.which sch are you from?
On Fri Jul 30, 2004 03:58 PM
september...

where are you going...?

Its spring then.. but early spring.. so its still pretty cold!

but it can vary from highs of 12 down south, to highs in the late teens up north..

so not too warm? but not too cold either?

sorry can't be much help unless i know where you are going.. our country isn't THAT small.. hehhe.
On Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:55 PM
Do you now where I can find a dance shop in Wellington and where to find?? Because i will go done there and I thought it would be good getting a few new leos!
Thanks!
On Sat Aug 07, 2004 06:50 PM
Dance stores?

Well Gubbs is the one I go to.. its at the back of a shoe store and is really tiny, but they are SOO great at ordering you anything you need.

I think there is a good one in the hutt too, a girl at my dance school got her gaynors from there...Ballet de` Barre` ? I've never been there so am only getting their name from the phone book!!

Anyways, Gubbs is next to the opera house at the end of manners st (i think thats the st!)

good luck... where are you coming from?
By sdancinetballer
On Fri Aug 13, 2004 08:52 PM
haha i just went to nz in july!! haha te papa is so cool. i went a lot to lower hutt, and yup we checked out a couple of the ballet stores, i think maybe went to that "barre" place. no offense or anything, but it was just normal, nothing spectacular...
i love Energetix's(spelling?) stuff, but couldnt afford anything haha
By glittertoes
On Tue Aug 17, 2004 03:45 AM
i thought Ballet de' Barre was pretty good :)
On Tue Aug 17, 2004 05:31 PM
yeah well as i said.. i've never been to ballet de barre, just got their name out of the phone book.. so mixed reviews i guess!!

where is energetix? sounds fun!
By sparklin_dancer
On Sat Aug 21, 2004 07:23 AM
Im goin 2 north Island - Auckland, earli sept...wots it guna b lyk ne1 no??ive been told its guna b HEAPZ cold!
By glittertoes
On Sun Aug 22, 2004 01:55 AM
Energetix is a brand of dancewear i think... :)
By dancin_bee
On Mon Aug 23, 2004 08:12 AM
haha i just went to new zealand in junee. two months ago but its a really great place (: enjoy your trip!

ReplySendWatch